Author Topic: Bike deal request and advice  (Read 16391 times)

Offline JosephM

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Bike deal request and advice
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2015, 05:40:36 AM »
3)depends where exactly you live. I've bought in the past from south shore (woodmere), Oceanside cycle,  and Roy's in sheaphead bay. Roy is definitely the best and even though it is a little inconvenient for me since I live in 5towns, I still keep buying from them. Their selection is huge, and they have the best mechanics.

+1 Roy's has the best prices.

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
1)with everything (peddles, bottle holders, lights, clothing, etc) you are looking at about $2000 starting. You may be able to get a few hundred less but it's worth spending and getting what you need. It makes a huge difference. Then there are some hints that make a difference but not necessary like a good GPS, quality tires, etc. That stuff could run you another thousand or more.
2) a good bike so with measure you and make sure you are sized properly. They will also give you your and advice on what to do to make the experience better (how to sit on the saddle, shift gears properly, etc). Lastly, YouTube had great videos.
3)depends where exactly you live. I've bought in the past from south shore (woodmere), Oceanside cycle,  and Roy's in sheaphead bay. Roy is definitely the best and even though it is a little inconvenient for me since I live in 5towns, I still keep buying from them. Their selection is huge, and they have the best mechanics.  South shore is the worse. Terrible service, and if you don't know what your doing they will try to do you off.
As far as price, most places have very similar pricing (list price) for bikes. Many accessories could be bought online to save a few $$. You could also save a little at  Roy's if they happen to have a last years model that they are trying to clean out or a custom bike that the buyer backed out of. The one area that you could negotiate is the service warranty. Standard is 1 year (except at Oceanside cycle that gives lifetime tuneups and labor for free) but I've negotiated with Roy's a 2nd year.
Feel free to ask anymore questions.
I see bikes starting online for around $200. I understand that those are a lot heavier (almost 30 pounds), why are they so much cheaper than the high quality bikes (80-90%!) And what is thier detriment? Would you say I can buy one of these to train and rent a real one for the actual ride?
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline JosephM

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2015, 06:31:50 PM »
I see bikes starting online for around $200. I understand that those are a lot heavier (almost 30 pounds), why are they so much cheaper than the high quality bikes (80-90%!) And what is thier detriment? Would you say I can buy one of these to train and rent a real one for the actual ride?

I think if you want to do Bike4Chai you should at least have a carbon bike.  The $200 bike is going to be a lot heavier and have really cheap components.  Do they even have road tires?  I would imagine you're going to have to spend a lot more than that.  Maybe you can get something second hand.

Offline Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2015, 07:05:52 PM »
Components is very important. Get a cheap bike with cheap components and you'll have to get constant tuneups (even during rides) which adds to the price. Furthermore, most cheap bike have components that can't be replaced.
As mentioned, weight is very important. For several years I had a hybrid bike. I figured that being that I lived and bike around NYC (bumpy roads, potholes) a hybrid made more sense. But then, I started doing real long rides and I realized I was literally the ONLY biker with such a bike. So one time when my wife was away, i decided to surprise her and got myself a road bike. It took a bit to get used to (uses different muscles) but what a difference it made.

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2015, 07:18:01 PM »

Offline srf60

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2015, 07:39:45 PM »
So this is a bad idea?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/22899854
Being that you seem interested in becoming a biker , i recommend you go to a local bike store , where they will explain it all  and give you something according to your needs. Also, they will service it as needed.

Offline an613

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2015, 07:22:27 AM »
I have no clue how or why specific bikes are better than others, so I'm gonna have to trust you guys. I'm thinking about doing bike4chai this year and I need a bike.
1) what price range will a good bike for that be. (Mind me, I'm a galitziana, so keep it in my budget)
2) being that I'm going to shell out a nice amout for this, where can I learn how bike specifications effect the cost a experience of cycling.
3) where to buy? (and any ways to manipulate a deal?)

First off, congrats on deciding to do Bike4Chai. It's an incredibly fun and rewawrding experience and you're going to feel so accomplished.

As others have mentioned, it's just not worth it trying to buy a cheap bike online. It'll be fine for your first month or two but you're going to regret it very quickly. It won't fit you very well (and 3+ hour rides on a bike that doesn't fit will be painful). Addtionally, the components will start falling apart and you'll end up spending way more time and money getting things adjusted or fixed than if you had just gotten an entry level road bike from a real bike shop (first hand experience because my first road bike was from a big box retailer).

B4C riders get discounts (~10-20%) at several shops so depending on your location, might be worth checking them out. Lots of places also have fairly steep discounts at the end of the season( mid-august through septemeber) or at the beginning of next years season (march-april) because they're trying to clear out inventory so it's  worth stopping in your local shop and just asking if they have anything on clearance or any floor models on sale. As others mentioned, you can also look for secondhand but DO NOT just buy off a random person on ebay or craigslist. There are tons of fakes from China that don't have the same type of quality control and the last thing you want to be worrying about is your frame literally falling apart while you're flying down a hill. Extremely dangerous and not worth it at all. (http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/components/catch-counterfeiter-sketchy-world-fake-bike-gear). A reputable shop should be able to spot a fake very quickly so its OK to buy used from a place you trust but don't just go on Ebay looking for a deal (as a DDFer, I'm sure it's already crossed your mind :))

I would disagree with what others have posted above - if you're trying to get the cheapest bike possible, you definitely don't need a carbon bike. Sure, if you have the money and you're in tip-top shape, carbon will definitely make a difference but if you're just starting out and looking to get the biggest bang for your buck, I would stick with an aluminum frame. The difference between a steel frame (what you get from walmart, etc) and an aluminum frame is ginormous but the difference between an aluminum and carbon frame is only a couple pounds. If you've trained enough (B4C makes it easier with plans, group rides, etc) the little bit of extra weight won't make a difference on your rides, and if you haven't trained enough, the carbon bike won't help you at all. Do NOT be intimidated by the "pros" with their fancy bikes that you're going to see while training or even on the ride itself. I've come first place in a 60+ mile race on a 30 year old steel bike and as someone said to me at the finish line, "its not about the machine, its about the engine behind it."

No matter what bike you go with, there are three things you definitely want to be getting because they make a huge difference. First one is obviously a helmet. Secondly, are proper shoe + pedals. They take a bit of time getting used to but make a huge difference on longer rides and once you've ridden with them, you won't be able to go back. You should be able to get decent shoes for ~$50-$75 and pedals/cleats for another $40-60$. Worth every penny. Third item is clothing - specifically biking shorts and jersey. Even the cheapest bike clothing will make your riding a lot more comfortable. You should be able to get both shorts/jersey on amazon for < $50.

I bought my bike outside the NY area so not sure the exact price of bikes but I think you should be able to get everything above for ~$1,000.

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2015, 02:25:26 PM »
First off, congrats on deciding to do Bike4Chai. It's an incredibly fun and rewawrding experience and you're going to feel so accomplished.

As others have mentioned, it's just not worth it trying to buy a cheap bike online. It'll be fine for your first month or two but you're going to regret it very quickly. It won't fit you very well (and 3+ hour rides on a bike that doesn't fit will be painful). Addtionally, the components will start falling apart and you'll end up spending way more time and money getting things adjusted or fixed than if you had just gotten an entry level road bike from a real bike shop (first hand experience because my first road bike was from a big box retailer).

B4C riders get discounts (~10-20%) at several shops so depending on your location, might be worth checking them out. Lots of places also have fairly steep discounts at the end of the season( mid-august through septemeber) or at the beginning of next years season (march-april) because they're trying to clear out inventory so it's  worth stopping in your local shop and just asking if they have anything on clearance or any floor models on sale. As others mentioned, you can also look for secondhand but DO NOT just buy off a random person on ebay or craigslist. There are tons of fakes from China that don't have the same type of quality control and the last thing you want to be worrying about is your frame literally falling apart while you're flying down a hill. Extremely dangerous and not worth it at all. (http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/components/catch-counterfeiter-sketchy-world-fake-bike-gear). A reputable shop should be able to spot a fake very quickly so its OK to buy used from a place you trust but don't just go on Ebay looking for a deal (as a DDFer, I'm sure it's already crossed your mind :))

I would disagree with what others have posted above - if you're trying to get the cheapest bike possible, you definitely don't need a carbon bike. Sure, if you have the money and you're in tip-top shape, carbon will definitely make a difference but if you're just starting out and looking to get the biggest bang for your buck, I would stick with an aluminum frame. The difference between a steel frame (what you get from walmart, etc) and an aluminum frame is ginormous but the difference between an aluminum and carbon frame is only a couple pounds. If you've trained enough (B4C makes it easier with plans, group rides, etc) the little bit of extra weight won't make a difference on your rides, and if you haven't trained enough, the carbon bike won't help you at all. Do NOT be intimidated by the "pros" with their fancy bikes that you're going to see while training or even on the ride itself. I've come first place in a 60+ mile race on a 30 year old steel bike and as someone said to me at the finish line, "its not about the machine, its about the engine behind it."

No matter what bike you go with, there are three things you definitely want to be getting because they make a huge difference. First one is obviously a helmet. Secondly, are proper shoe + pedals. They take a bit of time getting used to but make a huge difference on longer rides and once you've ridden with them, you won't be able to go back. You should be able to get decent shoes for ~$50-$75 and pedals/cleats for another $40-60$. Worth every penny. Third item is clothing - specifically biking shorts and jersey. Even the cheapest bike clothing will make your riding a lot more comfortable. You should be able to get both shorts/jersey on amazon for < $50.

I bought my bike outside the NY area so not sure the exact price of bikes but I think you should be able to get everything above for ~$1,000.
Thank you for that!

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2015, 03:42:54 PM »

I agree with everything here. Just two things to add-
1. Another must peice of equipment is lights. Get for front and back and use them even during the day. I can't tell you how many times I've seen bikers almost get into/cause accidents (usually at night) because drivers can't see them.
2. While I agree that a quality aluminum frame could be as good (and sometimes better than) as a carbon one, there are different qualities of aluminum frames so make sure to get a good one. Similarly, there are different qualities of carbon frames. Based on my experience, a quality aluminum frame is as good as a not such great carbon frame and the price difference is about $500. That being said, there is more to each type than just the price and weight.
Carbon is lighter (which could translate into faster speeds), didn't get ruined when it gets wet (I don't think twice about driving with it on my roof when it's raining) and absorbs vibration, making it a smoother ride.
Aluminum is better for riding in not perfect weather/road conditions (wet or cold roads) (I have a carbon bike for spring and summer and an alum bike (with slightly wider tires) for fall and winter). Just when it gets wet, you have to wipe it dry right away, otherwise it will rust (when traveling with my aluminum bike and it rains, I take it apart and put it into my trunk).

Offline shauly

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2015, 02:19:31 PM »
I did Bike4Chai this past year, and it was without a doubt one of the greatest things I've ever participated in my whole life. The feeling when you finally reach that finish line is absolutely indescribable.

I bought my bike from Brielle Cyclery just outside of Lakewood. They give discounts to Bike4Chai riders. I bought the same exact bike that my brother in law bought the year before (Cannondale Caad10). He paid ~$1850, I paid ~$1350 because it was a previous years model, so don't be afraid to buy something off the clearance rack. A standard bike with an aluminum frame will definitely be more than adequate for a new rider, as everyone else said.

I think I spent about four to five hundred dollars on the rest of the gear. You don't need anything super fancy. I would spend the extra money for bibshorts (Yes, they look funny, and your wife will make fun of you. Buy them anyway). I also found mountain pedals to be much easier to get used to clipping in and out than road pedals, but you should try them out to find out what suits you best. A pump with a pressure gauge is a must. And of course, like people have already said, helmet, lights, etc.

If you are serious about riding, hit the gym. Start spinning now to make it easier on yourself when you get your bike and it warms up outside.

One last tip - last year signups filled up extremely quickly, and I'd expect this year to have even more demand. Get in right away to make sure you have a spot.

I look forward to seeing you in a few months.  ;D

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2015, 12:29:59 PM »
I've been thinking about this long and hard. I really want to do it, but I have a few things stopping me.
1) To pay for a bike now will use up all the spare money I have available.
2) I lack time to train. I cannot get out for more than an hour and a half. Maybe once a month I can do a long ride.
3) I have no place to store an expensive bike, nowhere safe and protected from the elements fully.

One of the reasons I want to do this is because (aside from chailife line being an incredible organization) I have used cycling (I still do) for stress relief, (it's incredible what it can do). I dont think I am up to putting out the down payment on the ride being unsure of my current ability to take this to the end.

Offline SZY

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2016, 07:51:02 PM »
Any good deals on a mountain bike for under $200?

Offline SZY

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2016, 10:02:29 PM »
Any good deals on a mountain bike for under $200?

Online whacked1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2016, 10:18:58 PM »
I just bought a bike since brooklyn is insane for me to take my car out every time i need to go somewhere and deal with the parking (both where ever i needed to go and returning to my apt). Your best bet would be craiglist you can actually get some pretty good deals on there.

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2016, 10:26:00 PM »
I just bought a bike since brooklyn is insane for me to take my car out every time i need to go somewhere and deal with the parking (both where ever i needed to go and returning to my apt). Your best bet would be craiglist you can actually get some pretty good deals on there.
+1 craigslist can have some great buys.

Offline happinessNsunshine

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Offline Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2021, 05:33:42 PM »
My 7th-grade son is looking for a bike to ride to school (~1 mile each way). My older boys got from Weber's, but they're not around any more, so we went to Roy's. The cheapest bike they had was $450. If he were riding it a lot more, I could justify spending so much, but it seems like a lot for a short urban commute.

But the salesman said that if we get something cheaper from Walmart, Target, Dick's, etc., it will end up costing us just as much in the long run because it will need assembly and lots more maintenance. Is that really true? Is there nothing decent for under $300 like we used to get at Weber's? Is it worth trying to find something on Craigslist? Or is this an area where it's worth spending because you get what you pay for?

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2021, 05:38:18 PM »
My 7th-grade son is looking for a bike to ride to school (~1 mile each way). My older boys got from Weber's, but they're not around any more, so we went to Roy's. The cheapest bike they had was $450. If he were riding it a lot more, I could justify spending so much, but it seems like a lot for a short urban commute.

But the salesman said that if we get something cheaper from Walmart, Target, Dick's, etc., it will end up costing us just as much in the long run because it will need assembly and lots more maintenance. Is that really true? Is there nothing decent for under $300 like we used to get at Weber's? Is it worth trying to find something on Craigslist? Or is this an area where it's worth spending because you get what you pay for?
The salesman is actually right. The o ly reason I wouldn't spend that much is because in another year or 2, he will outgrow the bike probably. Do u have other sons younger than him that will use it afterwards?

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2021, 05:39:37 PM »

If your even slightly handy you can keep up maintenance for walmart/target bikes for very cheap. Even better it can be a learning experience for your son keeping up his own bike. If he's gonna be leaving it out in the rain, or riding over curbs I don't see why you should spend 450 on a bike that may get ruined.

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2021, 05:46:46 PM »
If your even slightly handy you can keep up maintenance for walmart/target bikes for very cheap. Even better it can be a learning experience for your son keeping up his own bike. If he's gonna be leaving it out in the rain, or riding over curbs I don't see why you should spend 450 on a bike that may get ruined.
Disagree. I bought a bike for my growing son from target and the front wheel was not aligned properly. After spending some time with it (I usually ride a thousand+ miles a year and do most adjustments and upgrades myself) and not getting it, I brought it into my local bike professional. Even he couldn't get it perfect. Does it work? Yes. But it's not going to last more than a year or 2 at most.