Author Topic: Bike deal request and advice  (Read 16593 times)

Offline MoYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Bike deal request and advice
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2021, 05:56:23 PM »
The salesman is actually right. The o ly reason I wouldn't spend that much is because in another year or 2, he will outgrow the bike probably. Do u have other sons younger than him that will use it afterwards?
I had a similar situation and got a small frame adult bike, it will be a bit big in the beginning but totally safe to use, and you can adjust the seat as he grows and it will work. In general by a good bike.
My 7th-grade son is looking for a bike to ride to school (~1 mile each way). My older boys got from Weber's, but they're not around any more, so we went to Roy's. The cheapest bike they had was $450. If he were riding it a lot more, I could justify spending so much, but it seems like a lot for a short urban commute.
If he really wont use it more then just get a cheap one and be done with it, just dont leave it in the rain

Offline Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2021, 05:58:52 PM »
This is my youngest son. He is small for his age, currently about 5'. The salesman recommended what he called an Adult Small (he didn''t want to specify e.g. 24" because he said each bike is built differently), which he said would last him until about 5' 7" by adjusting the seat as @MoYS mentioned, which should be a good 3-5 years.

The salesman did also mention that he does much more maintenance on kids' bikes than adult bikes, because kids tent not to take such good care of their bikes, which is another reason I was inclined to try to go cheaper. Any recommendations of decently-made bikes for a reasonable price from a big-box store?

The salesman said they charge $80 just to assemble a bike, which eats into a lot of the savings, though don't some stores include assembly when you buy from them? Unfortunately I'm not the least bit handy, and my son is better than me, but I don't know that it's realistic for him to do high-level bike maintenance.

Offline MoYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2021, 06:05:16 PM »
This is my youngest son. He is small for his age, currently about 5'. The salesman recommended what he called an Adult Small (he didn''t want to specify e.g. 24" because he said each bike is built differently), which he said would last him until about 5' 7" by adjusting the seat
This is the bike i got https://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/recreation/sport-comfort/trailxr/ I think it can be used by someone up to at least 5' 10"

Offline smart man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2021, 08:52:46 PM »
This is my youngest son. He is small for his age, currently about 5'. The salesman recommended what he called an Adult Small (he didn''t want to specify e.g. 24" because he said each bike is built differently), which he said would last him until about 5' 7" by adjusting the seat as @MoYS mentioned, which should be a good 3-5 years.

The salesman did also mention that he does much more maintenance on kids' bikes than adult bikes, because kids tent not to take such good care of their bikes, which is another reason I was inclined to try to go cheaper. Any recommendations of decently-made bikes for a reasonable price from a big-box store?

The salesman said they charge $80 just to assemble a bike, which eats into a lot of the savings, though don't some stores include assembly when you buy from them? Unfortunately I'm not the least bit handy, and my son is better than me, but I don't know that it's realistic for him to do high-level bike maintenance.
I got a cheaper bike (sub $100), I believe it was Kent, when I was about 12 from Walmart. Worked perfectly for a few years of riding until it was stolen. Mongoose was an even better brand back then. Was assembled in Walmart free of charge, but don’t know about today.
For basic riding (non professional) that’s what all my friends and classmates had then, and was perfect for all of us. I don’t see why you would spend 3-$500 on a bike that your kid will grow out of within a few years. Unless you have the money for such luxuries obviously.

Offline Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2021, 09:03:21 PM »
I got a cheaper bike (sub $100), I believe it was Kent, when I was about 12 from Walmart. Worked perfectly for a few years of riding until it was stolen. Mongoose was an even better brand back then. Was assembled in Walmart free of charge, but don’t know about today.
For basic riding (non professional) that’s what all my friends and classmates had then, and was perfect for all of us. I don’t see why you would spend 3-$500 on a bike that your kid will grow out of within a few years. Unless you have the money for such luxuries obviously.
Who remembers Huffy bikes?!

Offline smart man

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2021, 09:06:43 PM »
Who remembers Huffy bikes?!
Sure do.

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2021, 09:07:13 PM »
walmart sells them
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Onefishtwofish

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2022, 04:51:22 PM »
Any suggestions where I can get a used road bike for a good price in Brooklyn?
Looking to spend $300 max for adult bike.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2022, 05:25:23 PM »
Any suggestions where I can get a used road bike for a good price in Brooklyn?
Looking to spend $300 max for adult bike.

Craigslist

Online cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2022, 09:39:41 PM »
Looking for a good deal on a mountain bike (hardtail is fine). Craigslist seems to have only either very old bikes or still pretty expensive. I bike Allaire once a week, twice if I'm lucky, so it really does not pay for me to spend a lot - but my current bike is a hybrid with no front suspension that really isn't the right fit for those trails. Any advice or suggestions appreciated.
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2022, 10:17:34 AM »
Looking for a good deal on a mountain bike (hardtail is fine). Craigslist seems to have only either very old bikes or still pretty expensive. I bike Allaire once a week, twice if I'm lucky, so it really does not pay for me to spend a lot - but my current bike is a hybrid with no front suspension that really isn't the right fit for those trails. Any advice or suggestions appreciated.
Costco have this bike for $399 in brick

https://www.costco.com/northrock-xc27-mountain-bike.product.100706259.html

I'd say it's a good price for the specs

Offline GEMARAKOP

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2022, 11:10:24 AM »
If you just started MTB buy a cheap hard tail because you’re gonna want a $3000 full suspension soon if the sport interests you:) btw that’s just for a “value option”.

Online cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2022, 11:11:38 AM »

Costco have this bike for $399 in brick

https://www.costco.com/northrock-xc27-mountain-bike.product.100706259.html

I'd say it's a good price for the specs

Thanks, I'll check it out!

If you just started MTB buy a cheap hard tail because you’re gonna want a $3000 full suspension soon if the sport interests you:) btw that’s just for a “value option”.

Problem is that even "cheap" isn't really cheap

Offline GEMARAKOP

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2022, 10:49:40 PM »
Thanks, I'll check it out!

Problem is that even "cheap" isn't really cheap
Walmart has started selling decent looking hard tails with brand name specs. Not top of the line but I believe their front suspension is 110-120 better than the Costco 80. They are more expensive than the Costco bike though. Either way I would bring it to a bike shop to check/rebuild both store are not renowned for knowing what their doing in this department.

Offline GEMARAKOP

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2022, 11:20:07 PM »
Whatever choice you go with Clayton park past Jackson is a lot of fun. If you go to the Catskills Lippmann park a little past Ellenville has a lot of trails for all skill levels.
Enjoy riding

Online cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2022, 11:25:40 PM »
Whatever choice you go with Clayton park past Jackson is a lot of fun. If you go to the Catskills Lippmann park a little past Ellenville has a lot of trails for all skill levels.
Enjoy riding
Thanks! Any good routes to recommend at Clayton? It's a little further than Allaire from me but still doable.

(Any map files with route appreciated as well)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 11:30:29 PM by cholent »

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2022, 01:00:15 AM »
alltrails app is a good resource

Online cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2022, 07:57:25 AM »
Enjoy riding
Thanks for the recommendation, I biked there this morning and it was awesome fun! (Despite having the wrong bike for it, a hybrid)

Offline GEMARAKOP

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2022, 08:05:55 AM »
alltrails app is a good resource
Trailforks app is also great with more detail on individual trails. It really helps in places like all Alaire that don’t have signage
Thanks for the recommendation, I biked there this morning and it was awesome fun! (Despite having the wrong bike for it, a hybrid)

Glad you enjoyed!!

Offline GEMARAKOP

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2022, 08:13:48 AM »
Here are some choices from Walmart they have hydraulic brakes vrs the Costco mechanical.
The cheaper one has 100 mm of travel more expensive has 120.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Giordano-29-Men-s-Intrepid-Mountain-Bike-Front-Suspension-10-Speeds-Black/436828212
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Giordano-29-Men-s-Valor-Mountain-Bike-Front-Suspension-10-Speeds-Silver/754979079