Topic Wiki

Still in progress... 3.5 weeks done, 2.5 to go!

As per a great suggestion from Joe, here are the links to each city's TR:
Israel: Part 1
Israel: Part 2 (very short)
Israel: Part 3 - Eilat
Israel: Part 4 - Ein Gedi/Dead Sea
Madrid
(Pics from Israel and Madrid)
Barcelona
Seville
Gibraltar
Rome
Florence
Pisa
Venice
Switzerland

Trip planning thread: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=37776.0
There you can find all the info about how I booked what. May take some searching in there.
« Last edited by @Yehuda on October 29, 2015, 05:06:09 PM »

Author Topic: @Yehuda's Israel/Eurotrip Honeymoon Trip Report  (Read 70846 times)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: @Yehuda's Israel/Eurotrip Honeymoon Trip Report
« Reply #150 on: August 24, 2014, 11:19:26 PM »
i hope you at least day tripped to tangiers
Nope. Didn't even notice that idea in the GIB thread. Either way, we had about 5 non-Shabbos hours there. Was a mistake, but nu, not everything was going to work out perfectly.

Offline SOS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis First, Hertz Five Star, National Executive
« Reply #151 on: September 02, 2014, 06:31:23 PM »

@yehuda I dont think you can write in your signature
'TR in progress from our 6.5 week Honeymoon through Europe'

maybe try 'half a trip report of my honeymoon trip/euro trip', or you can continue your trip report ;)

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 02, 2014, 06:33:38 PM »
Oy :-(

Offline rediplus

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2014, 01:40:01 PM »
how much time would you say is enough in Seville ? or the highlights. i want to drive to GIB on Friday so if i wake up early friday morning how or what can i see if i i leave at around 1 or 2 pm.
thanks

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2014, 01:44:43 PM »
how much time would you say is enough in Seville ? or the highlights. i want to drive to GIB on Friday so if i wake up early friday morning how or what can i see if i i leave at around 1 or 2 pm.
thanks
I hope you have Sun in GIB because Shabbos alone is not enough.
From what I researched, the Alcazar is the only main attraction and if you start in the morning, you'll be done by 1. You may also want to see the river (walkable from the Alcazar) and/or go on a boat, but I don't think it's a more special boat ride than on any other river. Seeing the river was nice, but not a must. Walking the streets was great - we though Seville was one of the cutest town/streets area on our trip.

Offline rediplus

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2014, 01:56:47 PM »
I'm looking into booking the hotel now in GIB. doesnt look like there are any that use points. so the Elliott has a 3 night special where you get the 3rd night free on the weekends. so Sunday night is free. so planning on spending Sunday in GIB and maybe go to Tangiers. still trying to figure out Shabbos in GIB , Food, shul , hotel , electric doors , etc..

Offline Mountain Man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2014, 05:17:50 PM »
@Yehuda Wow what a trip. The whole thing looks so exciting. I wish I was able to pull off a honeymoon like this. I took a month long roadtrip across the US which was nice but I was naive then and used Priceline for hotels instead of points. I kind of wish I planned it out in detail like you did with Israel and Europe.
Quote from: JTZ link=topic=10531.msg1695873
If you never had to eat crow then you lived one boring life.

Offline Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2014, 05:50:24 PM »
@Yehuda Wow what a trip. The whole thing looks so exciting. I wish I was able to pull off a honeymoon like this. I took a month long roadtrip across the US which was nice but I was naive then and used Priceline for hotels instead of points. I kind of wish I planned it out in detail like you did with Israel and Europe.
2nd honeymoon?

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 10, 2014, 06:30:19 PM »
It works just as well for anniversaries or vacations.

Offline Mountain Man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2014, 06:47:08 PM »
2nd honeymoon?

I wish but I don't think I'll ever be able to take off that much time again. Hopefully I can pull a 10 day trip one of these days.
Quote from: JTZ link=topic=10531.msg1695873
If you never had to eat crow then you lived one boring life.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2014, 06:49:19 AM »
I'm looking into booking the hotel now in GIB. doesnt look like there are any that use points. so the Elliott has a 3 night special where you get the 3rd night free on the weekends. so Sunday night is free. so planning on spending Sunday in GIB and maybe go to Tangiers. still trying to figure out Shabbos in GIB , Food, shul , hotel , electric doors , etc..
No point options, although if you want to burn UR, Eliott and one other is in the UR "mall" (but it's not a good redemption value - just saying in case you wanted a free hotel).

Seems like a good plan (nice deal at Elliott), 3 nights is probably great unless you go to Tangiers. Expect no time to do anything on Friday if you first leave SVQ at 1pm. So you'll want Sunday for climbing The Rock, dolphin tour, caves tour. 2 Kosher groceries exist and a bakery - ask the locals where they are - everything is on 1 main street that's about 5 blocks long. Fleishig places aren't so pashut there as per the locals. I only went to 1 shul, but just try the different ones out if you want. They're only open during davening times, so my plan of visiting them all Shabbos afternoon didn't work out. Elliott has key entry but they ask for 50GBP deposit. Btw be careful with currency, they take GBP but they also have their own Pound (which is what most ATMs will give you there) however it's not accepted anywhere else but GIB. We got stuck with a few Gib Pounds when we left. Elliott front desk will trade with you 1:1 if you ask. Elliott has a manual side lobby door but it's closed at night, so we worked out with them that we'll stand infront of the main door (far enough from the sensor) and someone will see us and come to let us in. Not sure if that's halachically okay but turns out the clerk didn't see us waving like mad men, so we waited till someone entered the lobby and ran in behind them. There must be a site where you can find a contact email for the Rabbi or one of the Shuls to ask about getting set up for Shabbos meals as everyone there seemed really nice - if you have problems PM me.

Thanks! I'm sure your trip was awesome too! I can't imagine most ppl can take off for 6 weeks, and I don't expect to be able to either, but smaller trips are great too!

2nd honeymoon?
I know someone who's done 3 already ;)

It works just as well for anniversaries or vacations.
+1

Offline sruly101

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »
I really wanna go with my wife to Spain this upcoming Jan. (basically Gibraltar), My only concern is, how is the weather there in the winter? Officially Spain is warm (warmer) in the winter, just the question is if this means nice summer days (as it was summer), or its just not so cold but it still has the winter affects as winds, rain etīc!!

TIA

I know this isnt the best thread for it, but here I have more chances for an answer. ;)

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 11, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
I really wanna go with my wife to Spain this upcoming Jan. (basically Gibraltar), My only concern is, how is the weather there in the winter? Officially Spain is warm (warmer) in the winter, just the question is if this means nice summer days (as it was summer), or its just not so cold but it still has the winter affects as winds, rain etīc!!

TIA

I know this isnt the best thread for it, but here I have more chances for an answer. ;)
Ha, well I was there in the summer so I can't comment. Why not look on Google. Maybe look for weather sites that let you see past temperatures and look at random dates over the last few Jans.

Offline sruly101

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 11, 2014, 01:03:31 PM »
Ha, well I was there in the summer so I can't comment. Why not look on Google. Maybe look for weather sites that let you see past temperatures and look at random dates over the last few Jans.
Did it already (always google before asking ;)) but I didnt come out with a clear answer, Maybe there is a GIB guy here that can provide me with details ;)

Offline rediplus

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2014, 02:41:39 PM »
No point options, although if you want to burn UR, Eliott and one other is in the UR "mall" (but it's not a good redemption value - just saying in case you wanted a free hotel).

Seems like a good plan (nice deal at Elliott), 3 nights is probably great unless you go to Tangiers. Expect no time to do anything on Friday if you first leave SVQ at 1pm. So you'll want Sunday for climbing The Rock, dolphin tour, caves tour. 2 Kosher groceries exist and a bakery - ask the locals where they are - everything is on 1 main street that's about 5 blocks long. Fleishig places aren't so pashut there as per the locals. I only went to 1 shul, but just try the different ones out if you want. They're only open during davening times, so my plan of visiting them all Shabbos afternoon didn't work out. Elliott has key entry but they ask for 50GBP deposit. Btw be careful with currency, they take GBP but they also have their own Pound (which is what most ATMs will give you there) however it's not accepted anywhere else but GIB. We got stuck with a few Gib Pounds when we left. Elliott front desk will trade with you 1:1 if you ask. Elliott has a manual side lobby door but it's closed at night, so we worked out with them that we'll stand infront of the main door (far enough from the sensor) and someone will see us and come to let us in. Not sure if that's halachically okay but turns out the clerk didn't see us waving like mad men, so we waited till someone entered the lobby and ran in behind them. There must be a site where you can find a contact email for the Rabbi or one of the Shuls to ask about getting set up for Shabbos meals as everyone there seemed really nice - if you have problems PM me.
Thanks for the information. Maybe i can trade you for those GIBs. By the way what did you do for shabbos meals ? did you get invited out ? or did you eat in the room and buy the food there ?