Author Topic: Stroller Car racks?  (Read 6043 times)

Offline Neil

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Stroller Car racks?
« on: June 17, 2014, 02:05:16 PM »
I'm sure I'm not the only person with this dilemma. We have a subcompact car- nissan versa and 2 kids, and a double stroller takes up virtually the entire trunk.. I did a google search for double stroller car racks and people discuss the need for such an invention but apparently they don't exist. And I was thinking to maybe use a bike rack and strap down the double stroller.. Has anybody ever tried doing it? Is it even worth a shot?
Thanks!

Offline smee123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Stroller Car racks?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 09:13:55 PM »
I'm sure I'm not the only person with this dilemma. We have a subcompact car- nissan versa and 2 kids, and a double stroller takes up virtually the entire trunk.. I did a google search for double stroller car racks and people discuss the need for such an invention but apparently they don't exist. And I was thinking to maybe use a bike rack and strap down the double stroller.. Has anybody ever tried doing it? Is it even worth a shot?
Thanks!
I would say it would work around town.
But keep in mind it will get dusty,dirty and wet.
It just might be time for an upgrade  :)

Offline Neil

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 09:31:25 PM »
I would say it would work around town.
But keep in mind it will get dusty,dirty and wet.
It just might be time for an upgrade  :)
Thanks! For around town I don't really need it. It's more for the long trips. My in laws live in Ottawa and we head up there from ny every now and then so would be nice to be able to bring some luggage and the stroller..

Offline smee123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 07:07:20 AM »
Thanks! For around town I don't really need it. It's more for the long trips. My in laws live in Ottawa and we head up there from ny every now and then so would be nice to be able to bring some luggage and the stroller..
The wind might be a problem, a bike has very little surface.
The stroller has material, i wouldn't do it..

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 08:55:27 AM »
excercise caution, the wind will really make it dirty and dusty. see if you can borrow one at the inlaws, or buy them a cheap used one.
^^^

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 09:38:32 AM »
What about a clamshell roof thing.  Can you find one big enough for the carriage?  Or can you put your luggage in the clamshell and keep the carriage taking over the whole trunk.
Or a roof rack ( those bars that are bolted to the roof)with the carriage tied down with a tarp over it. 
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Crazy tools

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 01:16:42 PM »
What about a clamshell roof thing.  Can you find one big enough for the carriage?  Or can you put your luggage in the clamshell and keep the carriage taking over the whole trunk.
Or a roof rack ( those bars that are bolted to the roof)with the carriage tied down with a tarp over it.
Wonder if you can get one of these on a Nissan Versa

Offline Neil

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 02:08:25 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Do you have any idea how much those bars cost? Somebody else recommended that to me.. I saw on some other online forums people discussing this same issue and someone posted that they wanted to try the bike rack idea too (I'm not the only nutcase).. People over there seem to tink it should work. I guess theres only one way to find out :)

Online moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 02:15:48 PM »
you could strap the stroller straight to the roof with som ratchet straps (I've done long distance) but a clamshell or even anything heavier than a stroller should go on top of bars bec. they are installed on the frame of the roof vs. the actual roof. You can get bars installed on just about any car (may void warranties- check it out)

Offline Neil

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 07:31:15 PM »
you could strap the stroller straight to the roof with som ratchet straps (I've done long distance) but a clamshell or even anything heavier than a stroller should go on top of bars bec. they are installed on the frame of the roof vs. the actual roof. You can get bars installed on just about any car (may void warranties- check it out)
Any idea how much those bars would cost to install?