Author Topic: America's Got Talent  (Read 138035 times)

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Boy Tells Dirty Jokes On Americas got Talant
« Reply #300 on: July 02, 2014, 02:48:41 PM »
They might not let him back?
Seems like there are DDFers to the left of an MO school. Not just slightly to the left. But they would be outraged if the school throws out the boy. And it would be so bad, that it would make them understand why kids go off the derech.
You're missing the boat. The off the derech response was youre horrible application of torah concepts and the eagerness to throw kids out of school.  Noone (i believe) said that the school themselves who know the kid, his parents and the other kids in the school, cant make the determination that its the right thing to do

Offline Baruch

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 02, 2014, 03:00:05 PM »
You're missing the boat. The off the derech response was youre horrible application of torah concepts and the eagerness to throw kids out of school.  Noone (i believe) said that the school themselves who know the kid, his parents and the other kids in the school, cant make the determination that its the right thing to do
Why did you interpret throwing out this kid, with an eagerness to throwing out kids in general?

Offline Sport

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 02, 2014, 03:07:54 PM »

Why did you interpret throwing out this kid, with an eagerness to throwing out kids in general?
Perhaps because you are advocating throwing him out of school while hardly knowing anything about him, his family situation and what type of influence he has on the other students in the school.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 02, 2014, 03:09:54 PM »
I am leaving this conversation. I had no intention of joining it other than to be מוחה on the use of למען ישמעו וילמדו

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 02, 2014, 04:44:05 PM »
can we get back OT? when does the next episode air?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 02, 2014, 04:46:15 PM »
I just want to point out that whatever the school does, there will be tons of media scrutiny....

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 02, 2014, 06:38:59 PM »
knowing anything about him, his family situation and what type of influence he has on the other students in the school.
If a high school girl showed up to school pregnant, would you agree she should be thrown out regardless of anything else? This is also like that (although not as severe).
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 02, 2014, 06:52:11 PM »

If a high school girl showed up to school pregnant, would you agree she should be thrown out regardless of anything else? This is also like that (although not as severe).
No I don't necessarily agree. I honestly don't know what should e done in such a circumstance but I do know that throwing a kid out of school is pikuach nefesh and I would leave the decision to greater people than myself.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 02, 2014, 06:58:11 PM »
No I don't necessarily agree. I honestly don't know what should e done in such a circumstance but I do know that throwing a kid out of school is pikuach nefesh and I would leave the decision to greater people than myself.

Agreed.  What do you accomplish by throwing the kid out?  You think the other students in his class have never heard jokes like this anywhere else?

So is the point to throw him out because he embarrassed the school? 

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 02, 2014, 06:58:28 PM »
If a high school girl showed up to school pregnant, would you agree she should be thrown out regardless of anything else?
no.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 02, 2014, 07:03:28 PM »
Just to be clear, you'd all allow an obviously pregnant 16 year old to stay in school?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 02, 2014, 07:04:51 PM »
Just to be clear, you'd all allow an obviously pregnant 16 year old to stay in school?
not going to speak for all but I would.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 02, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »

As I said, I don't know what I would do, it would greatly depend on the circumstance. Why are you so sure she should be thrown out? 

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 02, 2014, 07:12:15 PM »
As I said, I don't know what I would do, it would greatly depend on the circumstance. Why are you so sure she should be thrown out?

For the same reason we sit shiva when a family member intermarries. There are certain red lines that cause one to be excluded from the community.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 02, 2014, 07:17:22 PM »

For the same reason we sit shiva when a family member intermarries. There are certain red lines that cause one to be excluded from the community.
I know your not equating intermarriage to pre marital sex so who decides where we draw this red line?  What if she didn't get pregnant?

Offline Sport

• View Profile
Jewish Boy Tells Dirty Jokes On Americas got Talant
« Reply #315 on: July 02, 2014, 07:21:30 PM »
Because letting her stay is essentially condoning such behavior so what's to stop other girls from thinking it's not so bad and following in her steps?

ETA just to be clear, I don't think this is a fair comparison to the boy being discussed.
I don't think that not kicking someone out of a school is far from condoning the actions. I guess if it is considered condoning then there would be a shaila to ask.
Also, even if it was, what if she went to a school where other girls were participating In such actions but  didn't get pregnant. Would you still think she should be thrown out?
ETA: I would hope that the threat of being kicked out of school was not the only thing preventing girls from partaking in such activities.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:24:53 PM by Sport »

Offline ah

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 02, 2014, 07:32:58 PM »
Because letting her stay is essentially condoning such behavior so what's to stop other girls from thinking it's not so bad and following in her steps?

ETA just to be clear, I don't think this is a fair comparison to the boy being discussed.
+1
There are many here as well who don't fully understand the world this boy is in...That being said, as someone from a very similar background to him, we were at the live show and you can actually see us cowering in the audience if you look carefully. In any circle this is highly inappropriate, and what bothers me most is his parents lack of judgement. The school did what they needed to do, IMHO, it's all they really can do or should do, especially given the circles we are talking about.

Offline MC

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 02, 2014, 07:38:33 PM »

+1
There are many here as well who don't fully understand the world this boy is in...That being said, as someone from a very similar background to him, we were at the live show and you can actually see us cowering in the audience if you look carefully. In any circle this is highly inappropriate, and what bothers me most is his parents lack of judgement. The school did what they needed to do, IMHO, it's all they really can do or should do, especially given the circles we are talking about.
I agree. While I come from a background where girls were kicked out of school for simply being seen in the mall with boys, I have many co workers who come from a modern background where premarital sex was an unfortunate norm in high school. Even they were stunned by the things that came out of such a young boy's mouth.

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 02, 2014, 08:42:09 PM »
I agree. While I come from a background where girls were kicked out of school for simply being seen in the mall with boys, I have many co workers who come from a modern background where premarital sex was an unfortunate norm in high school. Even they were stunned by the things that came out of such a young boy's mouth.
Maybe part of the reason why it's an unfortunate norm is because it's tolerated? 

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 02, 2014, 09:12:11 PM »
I wasn't making a comparison. I was simply establishing that there are situations where the kids should definitely be thrown regardless of family situation and etc.