Author Topic: HHonors Fraud  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
HHonors Fraud
« on: September 22, 2023, 09:24:33 AM »
I just got an email from Hilton letting me know about my points redemption.... only I hadn't made a points redemption. I logged in and found that someone had reserved a Hampton Inn in China (I'm currently in the U.S.) for today. It was pretty brazen, they added themselves (one Maorui Wu) as the guest and used their credit card, although I suppose Maorui Wu might be a victim as well of a cheap hotel room sold by a "travel agency". I called Hilton immediately and they returned the points, but it sounds like they freeze your account until they complete an investigation, although if you need to redeem points for an upcoming stay they'll do that for you on the phone before they freeze your account.

Bottom line is that Hilton may have been hacked (I haven't had any other accounts broken into lately) and if you see a redemption email from Hilton that you didn't make, it pays to check immediately because it's probably for that day, and call Hilton to get it taken care of. Might be worth proactively changing you HHonors password just to be safe.

Offline yochai

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Re: HHonors Fraud
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 08:56:05 PM »
Interesting.
Had a slightly different story with IHG this week. I found that my account was locked due to suspicious activity. It was actually a stay that I had booked for a friend but I guess it got flagged. They automatically refunded the points and locked the account.
After I confirmed that it was me who made the booking they unlocked the account but didn’t claw back the refund.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 09:07:08 PM »
Interesting.
Had a slightly different story with IHG this week. I found that my account was locked due to suspicious activity. It was actually a stay that I had booked for a friend but I guess it got flagged. They automatically refunded the points and locked the account.
After I confirmed that it was me who made the booking they unlocked the account but didn’t claw back the refund.

The booking wasn’t cancelled?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline yochai

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 04:10:32 PM »
The booking wasn’t cancelled?
No. It was after the stay (booking was on the day of the stay).