Author Topic: NYC Gas & Water Question  (Read 1314 times)

Offline puddles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
NYC Gas & Water Question
« on: June 23, 2014, 09:12:06 AM »
I recently bought a house in NYC (yes I know there is a thread dedicated on better places to move :) ) and wanted to know if anyone has input on Gas & Water bills.

Is there a way to save money on these? First gas bill was around $55 (small house, summer bill) and water (for about a month and a half of usage) was $85 (extremely small water usage).

Should I use an ESCO for the gas? They are offering me balanced billing for about $160 a month. Can you tell me about what you pay in your house so I can get an idea of what to expect?

TIA

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: NYC Gas & Water Question
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 09:18:25 AM »
If you are in National Grid you should keep your gas with them. Be prepared for price fluctuations, but it's likely to cost you to fix it with an ESCO. If you are in ConEd gas it will depend on what price you can get. I have gotten good pricing for commercial customers, but do not know what its available for residential
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 10:43:50 AM »
Water/sewer is billed quarterly AFAIK, and there's not much you can do to lower it other than use less water. My bill has been around $115/quarter in a fully attached 3 bedroom with 2 adults and 2 children.

If you are in National Grid you should keep your gas with them. Be prepared for price fluctuations, but it's likely to cost you to fix it with an ESCO. If you are in ConEd gas it will depend on what price you can get. I have gotten good pricing for commercial customers, but do not know what its available for residential
Balanced billing is a totally different thing than fixed/variable rate. All it does is spread out your annual heating costs so that within each year (or maybe quarter, not 100% sure) you pay the same amount each month. But they adjust the next year/quarter's budget based on any actual differences, which means in the end you always pay for your actual usage no matter what.

@puddles, if you think that's helpful, go ahead. But it won't save you any money. My electric+gas average over the last 6 months has been $280/month. I'm still on ConEd variable supply for both. I assume I can do better than that, but I haven't had the chance to research it properly since I moved.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 12:49:10 PM »
Balanced billing is a totally different thing than fixed/variable rate. All it does is spread out your annual heating costs so that within each year (or maybe quarter, not 100% sure) you pay the same amount each month. But they adjust the next year/quarter's budget based on any actual differences, which means in the end you always pay for your actual usage no matter what.

@puddles, if you think that's helpful, go ahead. But it won't save you any money. My electric+gas average over the last 6 months has been $280/month. I'm still on ConEd variable supply for both. I assume I can do better than that, but I haven't had the chance to research it properly since I moved.
sort of. On a balanced billing plan you will have the price spikes but the payment will be spread evenly over the year.

Online skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 01:01:17 PM »
sort of. On a balanced billing plan you will have the price spikes but the payment will be spread evenly over the year.
What do you mean by sort of? How is that different from what I said?

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 01:10:31 PM »
What do you mean by sort of? How is that different from what I said?
I understood you to be saying that budget billing well take care of price spikes. If we are in agreement then great.