Topic Wiki

EMT Courses in NJ

Monoc https://www.monoc.org/education/
Click on EMT initial program

BEWARE: NJ "Hybrid" EMT courses aren't honored by NYS for reciprocity.

EMT Courses in NYC

http://www.emergencycareny.com/emt_courselisting.html

http://www.nycremsco.org/calendar.asp?calendarid=1
« Last edited by hocker on October 06, 2016, 04:17:27 AM »

Author Topic: EMT MASTER THREAD  (Read 80387 times)

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
Re: EMT MASTER THREAD
« Reply #400 on: May 14, 2020, 11:45:57 AM »

Offline Medic97

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 14, 2020, 11:54:57 AM »
The two possible solutions are:

1. Find a shidduch and get married.
2. Become a Paramedic. (IINM Hatzolah can use more paramedics, and will accept unmarried paramedics).
As mentioned, neither are a guaranteed to help...

I am personally a medic for 12 years now, married for 10 and have yet to hear back on my application.

Oh and I lived in a part of the neighborhood with only 1 member....

Just saying.....

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 14, 2020, 11:58:21 AM »

I am personally a medic for 12 years now, married for 10 and have yet to hear back on my application.

Just saying.....
Exactly my point... It's very frustrating and sad when the mission isn't to save lives rather to give those at the top power and control. 

For anyone that want's further reading take a look at this older article about monsey hatzolah (although since that negative publicity they"ve made some steps towards improving some of the issues after that backlash. https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/headlines-breaking-stories/1327320/op-ed-monsey-outgrown-hatzalah.html
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline Shmulie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 14, 2020, 01:10:11 PM »
Exactly my point... It's very frustrating and sad when the mission isn't to save lives rather to give those at the top power and control. 

For anyone that want's further reading take a look at this older article about monsey hatzolah (although since that negative publicity they"ve made some steps towards improving some of the issues after that backlash. https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/headlines-breaking-stories/1327320/op-ed-monsey-outgrown-hatzalah.html

If only that article had more effect (on all branches)

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 14, 2020, 03:21:37 PM »
If only that article had more effect (on all branches)
Yup. Didn't do a ton in monsey, but baby steps. Read through the comments in that article, sadly most of it is true (I know firsthand).

― Aristotle

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #405 on: May 14, 2020, 03:27:49 PM »
Shmulie.

I know where you are coming from (a good place i'm sure) and I know what you are thinking and where you want to go. I'd rather not air out that much dirty laundry on here, so we can take it to Pm and you can call me if you have any further questions. However I''ll lay out some info here for everyone. I''ll try to keep it pareve, because i'd rather not bash them in public.

Hatzolah in many neighborhoods has become and exclusive club, you can't get in unless you are very connected to someone, or come with a lot of money, or if you are in an area that they are really really struggling.

Also they are mostly run like personal fiefdoms therefore what may seem logical and simple just doesn't happen. For example, I know many medics that are/were current members of various hatzolahs that they refused to let them ride as medics (they had to ride as emt's) simply because that's what the person in charge wanted. Only after much fighting, rabbonim etc did they get bumped up.

With that said - I would not change your life radically (e.g. move neighborhoods/take a paramedic course instead of yeshiva/etc) IN THE HOPES that you one day may be able to join hatzolah, many have gotten burned, and as overall their stance is they simply don't need you etc you most likely will be burned out and frustrated.

Chesed can be done in many other organizations that desperately need your help. I know (been an EMT for a few years now) that rolling to jobs and doing chesed at the same time is super awesome, but don't base your life around an organization that's stance is that they don't need you, and you"ll spend years trying to prove otherwise.
Well said I must say, but what I don't get, why wouldn't Hatzalah have as many members or at least a bit more than 250 throughout Flatbush for example?
  Take Israel for example they have over 6k members on ichud Hatzalah.

What's the problem with having an overflow of members and put less stress on other members by them knowing there's only 3 members in this neighborhood, now they can have 6 or whatever?

As well, I thought they started to charge insurance for calls ? Or was that only if you had insurance?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 14, 2020, 03:39:48 PM »
Well said I must say, but what I don't get, why wouldn't Hatzalah have as many members or at least a bit more than 250 throughout Flatbush for example?
  Take Israel for example they have over 6k members on ichud Hatzalah.

What's the problem with having an overflow of members and put less stress on other members by them knowing there's only 3 members in this neighborhood, now they can have 6 or whatever?

As well, I thought they started to charge insurance for calls ? Or was that only if you had insurance?
Members (as in the total amount of them) doesn't mean much, it's active members that count (flatbush especially)

Too many members -  I'm with you. Though of course that doesn't literally mean that everyone single EMT should have a radio, it definitely IMO should be tilted that way more than the current exclusivity. Would also help shoulder the burden off the very active members & nights and shabbos.

Insurance - Most neighborhoods softbill now I belive, as they should. No use in throwing away free money. I laughed when one coordinator went to the news and publicly resigned because he said if they start billing then it"ll corrupt hatzolah. As if lol.

― Aristotle

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 14, 2020, 03:50:48 PM »
Members (as in the total amount of them) doesn't mean much, it's active members that count (flatbush especially)

Too many members -  I'm with you. Though of course that doesn't literally mean that everyone single EMT should have a radio, it definitely IMO should be tilted that way more than the current exclusivity. Would also help shoulder the burden off the very active members & nights and shabbos.

Insurance - Most neighborhoods softbill now I belive, as they should. No use in throwing away free money. I laughed when one coordinator went to the news and publicly resigned because he said if they start billing then it"ll corrupt hatzolah. As if lol.
I hear ya.
 Well I guess that explains why Shomrim has a branch off or for those who couldn't get in called shmirah.
 And then same for chaverim called chavivim in B.P.

Interesting that they didn't branch off with a new Hatzalah organization?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:13:49 PM by myi »
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 14, 2020, 04:04:13 PM »
I hear ya.
 Well I guess that explains why Shomrim has a branch off or for those who could get in called shmirah.

So that's a good point. I'm sure hatzolah would have branched off except there is 2 main reasons why not.

1) Every agency needs a CON (certificate of need) to operate. In short they arn't really given out, and you need to prove to the state/regional EMS board why whatever ambulance service you are proving there is is a prevailing need for it that currently is not being met in that area. So, to get a license to operate would be very difficult. This is why ezras noshim does not have an actual ambulance, they were turned down for their CON.

2) Money. Ambulances and their upkeep aint cheap, to run around with a few walki talkies and vests is significantly cheaper.

― Aristotle

Offline Shmulie

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 14, 2020, 04:18:33 PM »
I hear ya.
 Well I guess that explains why Shomrim has a branch off or for those who could get in called shmirah.

I didn't know Chaveirim had the same issues. I never even heard of Chavivim

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 14, 2020, 04:23:03 PM »
Same, never heard of them. I know chaverim in some areas will only take married people, that argument does have two sides to the story though. Ish.

― Aristotle

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 14, 2020, 05:17:40 PM »
Same, never heard of them. I know chaverim in some areas will only take married people, that argument does have two sides to the story though. Ish.
https://www.instagram.com/chavivimny/

https://mobile.twitter.com/chavivimny?lang=en
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:27:35 PM by myi »

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 14, 2020, 06:43:45 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/chavivimny/

https://mobile.twitter.com/chavivimny?lang=en
Last 2/4 times I called chaverim in monsey they couldn't come for a simple boost... Time to take on single guys perhaps.... I wonder if this chavivim place takes single guys.

― Aristotle

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 14, 2020, 09:18:29 PM »

Just saying.....

have you reapplied?

Offline Medic97

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 14, 2020, 10:30:16 PM »
have you reapplied?
Unfortunately, more times than I'd like to admit. Usually when moving to another part of the neighborhood or when day hours opened up.

I actually did get a call once and was told to schedule a meeting. After 8 months of running after them I decided a little self respect I had to have and I stopped trying.

Offline Shmulie

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 14, 2020, 10:49:15 PM »
Unfortunately, more times than I'd like to admit. Usually when moving to another part of the neighborhood or when day hours opened up.

I actually did get a call once and was told to schedule a meeting. After 8 months of running after them I decided a little self respect I had to have and I stopped trying.

Oh man if that happened to me and I was told to setup a meeting and then wasn't abel to I would be so upset.

I was just never answered and when I followed up multiple times someone in the office finally had the heart to basically tell me it wasn't happening since I wasn't married.

Offline Medic97

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 14, 2020, 10:51:09 PM »
Oh man if that happened to me and I was told to setup a meeting and then wasn't abel to I would be so upset.

I was just never answered and when I followed up multiple times someone in the office finally had the heart to basically tell me it wasn't happening since I wasn't married.
I'm definitely jaded by it but I don't believe in public bashing. Put the crap aside the mission is good and important.

Edit: as a matter of fact I have told almost nobody about this and it's the first time I posted "publicly" about it. I guess I feel some level of anonymity here.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 11:57:17 PM by Medic97 »

Offline Shmulie

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 14, 2020, 11:00:42 PM »
I'm definitely jaded by it but I don't believe in public bashing. Put the crap aside the mission is good and important.

Absolutely I still think its an amazing organization that helps so many people and I still hope to join someday.
I just wish that "someday" was years ago...  :'(

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 15, 2020, 01:02:56 AM »
Last 2/4 times I called chaverim in monsey they couldn't come for a simple boost... Time to take on single guys perhaps.... I wonder if this chavivim place takes single guys.
Yup many single guys are on there. Which in a way is more practical, having a married guy with his wife and kids coming to unlock or boost your car is a joke, meaning that's kind of funny, oh I got to leave for a minute , someone got a flat.

While a bocher or a working single guy is so much more efficient having as a member, can come whenever and wherever.

Then again a married guy is more responsible, and for an organization like Hatzalah they need that qualification.
   But again you could make the same statement with a single guy making it far easier to respond to a call vs a married guy having to leave his kids in shul on Shabbos morning to arrive back in shul for the Kiddush? Or during the shabbos sueda.  A single guy would make a lot better of a member in that aspect. But I don't think I'm ganna get anywhere with this.. this is the way of the world. Nothing ganna change overnight!

Offline Medic97

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 15, 2020, 01:08:53 AM »
They require married for maturity and for female related calls....
Yes some married men are immature too.....