Topic Wiki

EMT Courses in NJ

Monoc https://www.monoc.org/education/
Click on EMT initial program

BEWARE: NJ "Hybrid" EMT courses aren't honored by NYS for reciprocity.

EMT Courses in NYC

http://www.emergencycareny.com/emt_courselisting.html

http://www.nycremsco.org/calendar.asp?calendarid=1
« Last edited by hocker on October 06, 2016, 04:17:27 AM »

Author Topic: EMT MASTER THREAD  (Read 79494 times)

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: EMT MASTER THREAD
« Reply #440 on: July 27, 2020, 04:20:45 PM »
Is one a medic and one an EMT?
Not sure where you inferred that I was referring to 2 friends, it's one and he's an EMT.
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 27, 2020, 04:21:13 PM »
Not sure where you inferred that I was referring to 2 friends, it's one and he's an EMT.
Oh gosh, you meant him and his partner? NO LOL, both BLS.

― Aristotle

Offline Shmulie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 27, 2020, 09:23:13 PM »
IINM one can work in jersey with a NY license, I have a friend that works for a hospital in jersey that does that.. Though i think he said something about only his partner being able to give meds.

NY BLS doesn't give meds unless you are talking about Epipen, O2 with albuterol, or baby aspirin

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 27, 2020, 09:31:53 PM »
NY BLS doesn't give meds unless you are talking about Epipen, O2 with albuterol, or baby aspirin
Or narcan or glucose techincally, or even regular 02 if you want to get techincal:) But yes I am quite familiar...  Like I said IIRC he was able to work as an EMT in jersey with his NY card, but unable to adminster BLS meds (I thought that was obvious).

― Aristotle

Offline Shmulie

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 27, 2020, 09:56:25 PM »
Or narcan or glucose techincally, or even regular 02 if you want to get techincal:) But yes I am quite familiar...  Like I said IIRC he was able to work as an EMT in jersey with his NY card, but unable to adminster BLS meds (I thought that was obvious).

Doesn't really make sense since all of those drugs can be administered by a good samaritan assuming the patients who need them carries it on them (epi, glucose, aspirin, some drug users even carry narcan) besides for O2

BLS meds really don't need much skill other then reading the instructions on the meds
besides for knowing how to setup an O2 tank which I'm assuming your friend can at least setup

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 27, 2020, 10:18:13 PM »
Doesn't really make sense since all of those drugs can be administered by a good samaritan assuming the patients who need them carries it on them (epi, glucose, aspirin, some drug users even carry narcan) besides for O2

BLS meds really don't need much skill other then reading the instructions on the meds
besides for knowing how to setup an O2 tank which I'm assuming your friend can at least setup
Not really sure how you are making the jump from a pt with self prescribed meds to a BLS provider that needs standing orders in the state that the drug is being administered in order to provide meds that the pt may or may not be prescribed with. It's not crazy to think that the DOH or the hospital whom he works for policy is to require an active card in the state to give the meds/drugs under the standing order/s of the medical director for the ambulance corp.

― Aristotle

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #446 on: July 27, 2020, 10:22:57 PM »

So what exactly are you left to do if you cant do any of that? Administer CPR?

Not really sure how you are making the jump from a pt with self prescribed meds to a BLS provider that needs standing orders in the state that the drug is being administered in order to provide meds that the pt may or may not be prescribed with. It's not crazy to think that the DOH or the hospital whom he works for policy is to require an active card in the state to give the meds/drugs under the standing order/s of the medical director for the ambulance corp.
As is a BLS member cant do much when it comes to meds, you need to call for medics.
   But not allowed to give the basics? no aspirin? not being able to assist with Nitroglycerin? nor any meds? seems like its probably worth taking the NREmt to work in Jersey.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 27, 2020, 10:24:08 PM »
They did reciprocity
Any idea of what that costs for a B-EMT to take the exam to be certified in NJ?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 27, 2020, 10:40:56 PM »
 As is a BLS member cant do much when it comes to meds, you need to call for medics.
   But not allowed to give the basics? no aspirin? not being able to assist with Nitroglycerin? nor any meds? seems like its probably worth taking the NREmt to work in Jersey.
As BLS for nearly 5 years now, Im quite aware. In his uniquie situation it just meant that he couldn't give those meds which as anyone that rides BLS knows are given quite rarely percentage wise, and his partner can simply adminster it, and often if one of those are indicated good chance medics are there already/going to be onboard  en route to hospital   

― Aristotle

Offline Shmulie

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 27, 2020, 10:43:49 PM »
Stop the bleeding...

I believe Narcan is given out for free at most large pharmacies to anyone who wants (non medically trained) Aspirin is an OTC drug, and anyone who needs an Epipen should be carrying one on them (everyone in my family including myself who has allergies carry them), same with glucose

- BLS drugs are in the most part drugs that any good samaritan can help with

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #450 on: July 27, 2020, 10:48:35 PM »
Stop the bleeding...

I believe Narcan is given out for free at most large pharmacies to anyone who wants (non medically trained) Aspirin is an OTC drug, and anyone who needs an Epipen should be carrying one on them (everyone in my family including myself who has allergies carry them), same with glucose

- BLS drugs are in the most part drugs that any good samaritan can help with
Oh dear, how long can we drag this out.. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the legalities of various EMS stuff, i'm a bit of a geek in that regard. Regardless, a prescribed med is just that, and you can't adminster that (helping self adminster is literllay that, going under the pt's prescription) to you deciding that it is indicated under a standing order. Narcan is a whole nother mess, because just because a good samiartan can now get it without a prescription, doesn't mean then when you are acting as an emt you may or may not need a standing order (had a whole discussion with the lady from sullivan county doh at a narcan training, complicated topic).

― Aristotle

Offline Shmulie

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 27, 2020, 11:00:49 PM »
Oh dear, how long can we drag this out.. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the legalities of various EMS stuff, i'm a bit of a geek in that regard. Regardless, a prescribed med is just that, and you can't adminster that (helping self adminster is literllay that, going under the pt's prescription) to you deciding that it is indicated under a standing order. Narcan is a whole nother mess, because just because a good samiartan can now get it without a prescription, doesn't mean then when you are acting as an emt you may or may not need a standing order (had a whole discussion with the lady from sullivan county doh at a narcan training, complicated topic).

not disagreeing with you legally

practically I think its just dumb

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 27, 2020, 11:05:05 PM »

That's part of being a B-EMT, i guess a medic course would change that. Or reciprocity, which would mean another 100Q exam.

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 29, 2020, 10:30:13 AM »

That's part of being a B-EMT, i guess a medic course would change that. Or reciprocity, which would mean another 100Q exam.
Well obviously medic would change that, or reciprocity. Though for medic likely need an NJ card too

― Aristotle

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 29, 2020, 10:34:25 AM »

Well that of course, you were just saying that the story didn't make sense, which I had confirmed firsthand that the story was accurate. Reconfirmed yesterday his response - "wasn't allowed to give BLS meds it's very dumb lol. You can give o2 and that's really about it"

― Aristotle

Offline Shmulie

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 29, 2020, 02:11:30 PM »
Well that of course, you were just saying that the story didn't make sense, which I had confirmed firsthand that the story was accurate. Reconfirmed yesterday his response - "wasn't allowed to give BLS meds it's very dumb lol. You can give o2 and that's really about it"
lol knowing how to use an O2 tank and giving the right amount is probably the only "drug" that you even need training for

Offline Medic97

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 29, 2020, 02:45:57 PM »
I disagree on the training part. I have seen my fair share of EMT's rubbing oral glucose on a semi or unconscious person. Clearly training is need to remind them if they can't follow simple commands don't administer it.

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 29, 2020, 03:14:51 PM »
I disagree on the training part. I have seen my fair share of EMT's rubbing oral glucose on a semi or unconscious person. Clearly training is need to remind them if they can't follow simple commands don't administer it.
+1, although to be fair there are some instructors that disagree with "don't administer if they can't control their own airway". The lady in monsey at the FTC teaches like that @Einstein

― Aristotle

Offline Medic97

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 29, 2020, 03:20:45 PM »
+1, although to be fair there are some instructors that disagree with "don't administer if they can't control their own airway". The lady in monsey at the FTC teaches like that @Einstein
She can disagree all she wants but she's an idiot and I'll say it here out loud.
Seeing Glucose druol down someones mouth is not pretty and its sticky. In order for it to do anything it really needs to hit the stomach and even then, by design it's slow acting. A pt in that condition needs IV glucose and if no IV access glucagon...

There are ppl who say we should give glucagon to EMT's. It can't hurt the pt even when given to someone who doesnt need it. and if it can be packaged just like an Epi Pen then you don't need any additional training.

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 29, 2020, 03:25:10 PM »
She can disagree all she wants but she's an idiot and I'll say it here out loud.
Seeing Glucose druol down someones mouth is not pretty and its sticky. In order for it to do anything it really needs to hit the stomach and even then, by design it's slow acting. A pt in that condition needs IV glucose and if no IV access glucagon...

There are ppl who say we should give glucagon to EMT's. It can't hurt the pt even when given to someone who doesnt need it. and if it can be packaged just like an Epi Pen then you don't need any additional training.
agreed. The medic with 30+years field experience who taught my course called her the same :P

― Aristotle