Topic Wiki

Best first time smoked ribs/brisket recipe: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/big-bad-beef-rub-recipe

Chickens taste better when cooked whole. Pickles taste better cut. Sandwiches taste better cut and bitten from inside. Meat tastes better sliced against grain.

Definitely a smoker is a personal choice, and what is better depends on what you are looking for.  I say it's a balance of goals, between: (i) making good food, (ii) making authentic BBQ, (iii) having fun with the maaseh of smoking, and (iv) convenience.  Items (iii) and (iv) don't only conflict, they directly oppose each other.

I opted for items (i) and (iv) so went PBC.  I would say WSM is also mostly a (i) and (iv) choice, but it brings in extra elements of (ii) and (iii), at a slight cost to (iv).  Maybe WSM also better at (i)--I have no idea either way.

Further to the above:

If all you want is good food, get a sous vide.

If all you want is authentic BBQ, get a huge offset smoker that you feed with split logs.

If all you want is having fun with the maaseh of smoking, again, get a huge offset smoker.

If all you want is convenience, use your oven.

Henche's PBC review
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=43018.msg1439199#msg1439199
« Last edited by jj1000 on June 04, 2020, 10:13:19 AM »

Author Topic: Smoking Meats  (Read 422761 times)

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking Meats
« Reply #960 on: August 21, 2017, 04:39:47 PM »
Yah that's why I only do big pieces.
I did a 3lber on my kettle and it was juicy and soft and amazing. Maybe you need to take off the pbc training wheels
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #961 on: August 22, 2017, 11:35:07 AM »
Thats it u just going to give me one of your stupid emojis like u smarter then everyone
Rtm is report to mods. I was joking. It's smoking thread and you dare post not smoked! . The steak looked amazing.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #962 on: August 22, 2017, 11:36:33 AM »
Gonna try this tonight. Found on smoking meat fb group (128k members) Based on science! I've read I line I probably don't need to marinate more than an hour. Thoughts?

Smoked wings and finished on the grill.

Recipe
----------
2 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp kosher salt (coarse)
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp chili powder
3-5 lbs chicken wings
3 tbsp olive oil

½ cup honey
¼ cup hot BBQ sauce (I used Stubb's Sweet Heat on these)
1/8 cup Texas Pete
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar

Mix the pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and chili powder to make a rub. Put the wings in a gallon Ziploc bag, add the olive oil and the dry rub. Shake and mix until well coated. Let rest in the fridge overnight and give it a massage every time you grab a beer.

Smoke @ 225 for around an hour until the wings start getting some color. I used apple wood, but something a little stronger like hickory could work too.

While the wings are smoking, mix together the honey, bbq sauce, texas pete, and cider vinegar in a saucepan (add more/less hot sauce to taste). Heat over low heat until well warmed being careful not to burn.

Remove wings from smoker and place on medium-high grill until the skins have crisped (we want to crisp the skin without burning so don’t overdo it with the heat). They’re ready when just a little char is showing and they’re no longer sticking to the grate. Dip the wings in the sauce and return to the grill until the sauce has soaked into the wings and you have the desired color and char.

Note: If you like dry wings, don't dip them in the sauce. I tried a couple this way and they were pretty good. I'd add some heat to the dry rub if I were planning on eating them dry though.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #963 on: August 22, 2017, 11:58:04 AM »
Gonna try this tonight. Found on smoking meat fb group (128k members) Based on science! I've read I line I probably don't need to marinate more than an hour. Thoughts?

Recipe
----------
2 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp chili powder
3-5 lbs chicken wings
3 tbsp olive oil

½ cup honey
1/8 cup Texas Pete

Mix the pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and chili powder to make a rub. Put the wings in a gallon Ziploc bag, add the olive oil and the dry rub. Shake and mix until well coated. Let rest in the fridge overnight and give it a massage every time you grab a beer.

Smoke @ 225 for around an hour until the wings start getting some color. I used apple wood, but something a little stronger like hickory could work too.

While the wings are smoking, mix together the honey, bbq sauce, texas pete, and cider vinegar in a saucepan (add more/less hot sauce to taste). Heat over low heat until well warmed being careful not to burn.

Remove wings from smoker and place on medium-high grill until the skins have crisped (we want to crisp the skin without burning so don’t overdo it with the heat). They’re ready when just a little char is showing and they’re no longer sticking to the grate. Dip the wings in the sauce and return to the grill until the sauce has soaked into the wings and you have the desired color and char.

Note: If you like dry wings, don't dip them in the sauce. I tried a couple this way and they were pretty good. I'd add some heat to the dry rub if I were planning on eating them dry though.
I have done similiar. But i finished in the smoker.  If u leave it long enough  (a couple hours. Dont remember exactly)  the skin becomes beautiful brown.
#TYH

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: August 23, 2017, 08:11:24 AM »
I have done similiar. But i finished in the smoker.  If u leave it long enough  (a couple hours. Dont remember exactly)  the skin becomes beautiful brown.

I've done similar, but a lot easier.  Rub is Memphis dust. Baste with mix of honey and hot sauce after hour.

And since it's pbc, finish my cracking lid

Offline Sport

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: August 23, 2017, 09:02:58 AM »

Recipe
----------
2 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp chili powder
3-5 lbs chicken wings
3 tbsp olive oil

½ cup honey
1/8 cup Texas Pete

I do similiar, but just use the memphis dust rub and for the sauce I just mix equal parts honey with siracha sauce, has good ammount of heat.

Offline Mikeoracle

• View Profile
« Reply #966 on: August 23, 2017, 11:44:58 AM »
Just a PSA, slightly related- I bought a bottle of Heinz KC style BBQ Sauce (sweet and smokey), which was really good, but halfway through the meal I noticed that it was marked as "OU Fish". I guess I didnt expect to buy something in my local kosher grocery like this, that couldnt be used with meat.

Offline Mikeoracle

• View Profile
« Reply #967 on: August 28, 2017, 10:13:57 AM »
Kingsford Original 18.6lbs x2 bags is on sale at Loews for $15 - not as great as the HD sale, but not bad.

Costco has the "Kingsford Professional Competition" or something like that, 2 packs of 18lb for 9.99 - are these better/worse/same for smoking in the PBC?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #968 on: August 28, 2017, 10:30:28 AM »
Kingsford Original 18.6lbs x2 bags is on sale at Loews for $15 - not as great as the HD sale, but not bad.

Costco has the "Kingsford Professional Competition" or something like that, 2 packs of 18lb for 9.99 - are these better/worse/same for smoking in the PBC?

I recommend using original, but ok to use the others

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #969 on: August 28, 2017, 10:42:11 AM »
I recommend using original, but ok to use the others
Why do you recommend the original? The difference between them is that the pro has more real wood and fewer fillers. That sounds like the pro is better.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #970 on: August 28, 2017, 12:06:43 PM »
Why do you recommend the original? The difference between them is that the pro has more real wood and fewer fillers. That sounds like the pro is better.

The pbc is calibrated to Kingsford original. Other charcoal may burn hotter or faster or colder or slower

Offline Mikeoracle

• View Profile
« Reply #971 on: August 28, 2017, 01:03:53 PM »
The pbc is calibrated to Kingsford original. Other charcoal may burn hotter or faster or colder or slower
+1, thats what I thought. I stocked up in Lowes and skipped the Costco deal.

My second experiment for Brisket on PBC went a little better than last week.
2.8lb 2nd cut with BBBR
I followed their lighting instructions exactly and had the meat hanging by 15 min after lighting. at 1:20 the IT was 160 already (!), so i removed and wrapped in foil (with a bit of water) and placed in the oven on 225 for 3 hours until it hit IT 203 (I raised it to 275 for the last 30 min). I let it rest for an hour.
This time it was a lot softer and juicier. It was pretty good, I just need to go with more rub next time, it was lacking a bit of heat/flavor.
Chicken bottom rubbed with oil and rosemary garlic rub,  hung for 2hrs, was amazing again.
For the heck of it I hung a Joburg Sweet italian sausage for about an hour or so. It didnt seem to pick up any smoky flavor. It was good but tasted the same as if it wouldve been done on the grill. I imagine that is because they are already fully cooked so they arent picking up new smoke flavors.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #972 on: August 28, 2017, 01:48:08 PM »

2.8lb 2nd cut with BBBR
I followed their lighting instructions exactly and had the meat hanging by 15 min after lighting. at 1:20 the IT was 160 already (!), so i removed and wrapped in foil (with a bit of water) and placed in the oven on 225 for 3 hours until it hit IT 203 (I raised it to 275 for the last 30 min). I let it rest for an hour.
This time it was a lot softer and juicier. It was pretty good, I just need to go with more rub next time, it was lacking a bit of heat/flavor.
Chicken bottom rubbed with oil and rosemary garlic rub,  hung for 2hrs, was amazing again.
For the heck of it I hung a Joburg Sweet italian sausage for about an hour or so. It didnt seem to pick up any smoky flavor. It was good but tasted the same as if it wouldve been done on the grill. I imagine that is because they are already fully cooked so they arent picking up new smoke flavors.

+1 on putting in oven after wrapping. No purpose of keeping in smoker.

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: August 28, 2017, 01:57:23 PM »

i put back on smoker to firm up bark

Offline Mikeoracle

• View Profile
« Reply #974 on: August 28, 2017, 02:01:54 PM »
+1, and it worked out great as I had to go out for a few hours.
#Lifehack- I have one of those therms that you leave in the meat and cord is connected to the display outside the oven. I setup my wifi camera (baby monitor) to focus on the display, so I was able to keep track of the IT while I was away from home, without the expensive WIFI therms...

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #975 on: August 28, 2017, 02:08:02 PM »

2.8lb 2nd cut with BBBR

Now do a whole brisket

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #976 on: September 01, 2017, 07:03:10 AM »
Just put this baby up

Offline Mikeoracle

• View Profile
« Reply #977 on: September 01, 2017, 11:32:22 AM »
HD and Lowes have the 18.6lb x 2bags on sale for 9.88 right now.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #978 on: September 01, 2017, 11:38:18 AM »

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #979 on: September 01, 2017, 11:54:04 AM »
Reprt pls
Think this is my first time doing a full packer together. Its relatively small, only 8.5 lbs or so