Topic Wiki

Best first time smoked ribs/brisket recipe: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/big-bad-beef-rub-recipe

Chickens taste better when cooked whole. Pickles taste better cut. Sandwiches taste better cut and bitten from inside. Meat tastes better sliced against grain.

Definitely a smoker is a personal choice, and what is better depends on what you are looking for.  I say it's a balance of goals, between: (i) making good food, (ii) making authentic BBQ, (iii) having fun with the maaseh of smoking, and (iv) convenience.  Items (iii) and (iv) don't only conflict, they directly oppose each other.

I opted for items (i) and (iv) so went PBC.  I would say WSM is also mostly a (i) and (iv) choice, but it brings in extra elements of (ii) and (iii), at a slight cost to (iv).  Maybe WSM also better at (i)--I have no idea either way.

Further to the above:

If all you want is good food, get a sous vide.

If all you want is authentic BBQ, get a huge offset smoker that you feed with split logs.

If all you want is having fun with the maaseh of smoking, again, get a huge offset smoker.

If all you want is convenience, use your oven.

Henche's PBC review
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=43018.msg1439199#msg1439199
« Last edited by jj1000 on June 04, 2020, 10:13:19 AM »

Author Topic: Smoking Meats  (Read 422755 times)

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking Meats
« Reply #1200 on: January 09, 2018, 02:30:49 PM »
Its not an electric smoker. Its a wood smoker that is powered buy electricity...
not quite...
 It uses electricity to maintain the temperature by adjusting the airflow to the pellets, similar to a cyberq or flameboss The actual heat is from the pellets (compact sawdust, i.e. wood).
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #1201 on: January 09, 2018, 02:40:58 PM »
not quite...
 It uses electricity to maintain the temperature by adjusting the airflow to the pellets, similar to a cyberq or flameboss The actual heat is from the pellets (compact sawdust, i.e. wood).
the heat doesnt come from heating elements
#TYH

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: January 09, 2018, 03:01:07 PM »
the heat doesnt come from heating elements
The heating elements are only used to ignite the pellets
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: January 09, 2018, 03:11:58 PM »
The heating elements are only used to ignite the pellets

Correct. All the cooking happens on wood.

Offline rs242

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: January 12, 2018, 11:21:28 AM »
I知 thinking to go for the pbc. This is my question to the users of this great smoker. 1) being that no wood is used for smoke and the smoke comes from dripping fat, is that enough smoke? Or is it only a light Smokey flavor? Can/do you ever add some wood to it? 
2) using the hook is great but what happens if you cooking dinosaur ribs and u not wrapping, it starts to get very soft any issues of it falling apart on the hook. @henche

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1205 on: January 12, 2018, 11:24:37 AM »
I知 thinking to go for the pbc. This is my question to the users of this great smoker. 1) being that no wood is used for smoke and the smoke comes from dripping fat, is that enough smoke? Or is it only a light Smokey flavor? Can/do you ever add some wood to it? 
2) using the hook is great but what happens if you cooking dinosaur ribs and u not wrapping, it starts to get very soft any issues of it falling apart on the hook. @henche
Charcoal is from wood
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Mikeoracle

• View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: January 12, 2018, 11:28:06 AM »
I am still a PBC newbie, so I defer to Henche and others to answer but from my experience;

There is usually a solid smoke flavor without any added wood, I think it may vary a bit based on how fatty (expected drippings) the piece of meat is. That being said I did buy a few small bags of Apple and Cherry wood and add a small handful at the beginning and sometime mid smoke. (I think the wood smoke flavor is a bit different than the just charcoal flavor).

When I am smoking a piece of meat that I am not sure about how secure it will hang I just skip the hook and put it on the grate.

Offline rs242

• View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: January 12, 2018, 11:28:20 AM »
Charcoal is from wood
Thank you for that information. Next time I知 smoking instead of putting wood for smoke I値l just add 2 extra coals

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: January 12, 2018, 11:30:11 AM »
I am still a PBC newbie, so I defer to Henche and others to answer but from my experience;

There is usually a solid smoke flavor without any added wood, I think it may vary a bit based on how fatty (expected drippings) the piece of meat is. That being said I did buy a few small bags of Apple and Cherry wood and add a small handful at the beginning and sometime mid smoke. (I think the wood smoke flavor is a bit different than the just charcoal flavor).

When I am smoking a piece of meat that I am not sure about how secure it will hang I just skip the hook and put it on the grate.

+1

Offline rs242

• View Profile
Smoking Meats
« Reply #1209 on: January 12, 2018, 11:30:25 AM »

As a newbie to pbc do U find everything coming out amazing? Easy to use?

Offline rs242

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: January 12, 2018, 11:31:10 AM »

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: January 12, 2018, 11:43:42 AM »
The smoke flavor on the PBC is excellent. I have never added any wood other than charcoal.

Re the hook, I've only once had an issue where I hung a 5 lb chicken on a hook and improperly hooked through backbone instead of breastbone.

If doing rack of ribs, you hook under second rib. If doing individual ribs, I'd use the grate. I've never done an individual rib.

Offline rs242

• View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: January 12, 2018, 11:49:01 AM »
Ok anyone here use Webber Smokey mountain? Any input

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: January 12, 2018, 12:03:58 PM »

@Sport

Offline rs242

• View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: January 12, 2018, 12:04:54 PM »

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: January 12, 2018, 12:21:28 PM »

@rs242
 what machine are you using?

Bump...

Offline Mikeoracle

• View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: January 12, 2018, 12:54:34 PM »
As a newbie to pbc do U find everything coming out amazing? Easy to use?
I have never smoke anything before the PBC, and honestly didnt really eat much smoked meat so I dont have what to compare it to but here are my thoughts;

I did find it pretty easy to use, there is not much you can do, so use it once or twice and you get the hang of it.
Lets put it this way, I havent had anything come out bad yet. Here is a quick list off the top of my head of what I have made and results;

My first brisket (2nd cut)- I smoked it all the way to 200, which was a mistake as it was a small 3lb briket and got pretty dry. The flavor was still great, so we enjoyed it but it was not what I would call a success.
My 2nd brisket (2nd cut)- Smoked it to 150-160, Texas crutch and put in the oven until it hit 203, this one was much better- very juicy, great smoke flavor. A solid 7/10 with room to improve.
I put on a few chicken bottoms- 2 hours later, they were amazing and perfect. Probably the best chicken we have had. Since then i almost always through on some chicken with every smoke as they are cheap and a guarantee that there will be something good to eat no matter how the meat turns out.
I also did a whole chicken, again flavor was great, I just dont love the whole carving/dissecting part- was a bit messy.

I tried Henche's Smoke salmon that he posted below- overall it was very good except a bit too salty, I need to try it again with a bit less salt in the brine
Baby back ribs was bone sucking good

Which leads me to my 2 best smokes;
#1- For Sukkos I did the Amazing Ribs almost like Katz's smoked pastrami recipe. I used a bought corned beef 2nd cut brisket, soaked it for a day to desalinate, cut in half, rubbed it and smoked (2-3 days before Y"T) to around 150 i think. Wrapped them and put one in the fridge for 1st days Sukkos, and froze the other half for second days.
On erev Y"t I started steaming it for a few hours until the zman when it was getting into the 190's, I left on the hot plate for the meal. Results were amazing. Juicy, soft, smokey, nice spice etc...
Did same thing for second days, defrosted the other piece the night before Y"T and repeated above. Same great results.

#2- Evergreen had a special a few weeks ago on a "Whole Shoulder" 11lbs around $99. I cut in half and froze. I took out one half when I had guest for shabbos. Coated with mustard and rubbed with Big bad beef rub and added some extra fresh ground black pepper (It was a very big piece and could handle extra spice). I smoked it on that freezing Friday morning 2 weeks ago, took about 3-4 hours to get to 150. I did add a handful of wood at the beginning and during the smoke.
At 150 I took it off, wrapped it with a few ounces of beer in double foil and placed it in the oven to continue cooking until 200. I did have to keep raising the oven as it took a while until the temp started going up again after the transfer, but managed to get where I wanted it by the zman and just left it on 225 keep warm. The results were amazing. There was a ton of its own liquid when I opened the foil which helped keep it juicy (some people have issues with shoulder/chuck getting dry).  I couldnt cut proper slices, rather I carved chunks as it was close to fall apart. Rave reviews on this one. It was so big I had the leftovers again for dinner again on Sunday and Monday, each time just as delicious.

(I cant wait to smoke the second half of that Shoulder.... I also have a large 1st cut corned beef, already soaked and rubbed in the freezer waiting for an opportunity to make the Pastrami again and see how the 1st cut would come out)

Offline Sport

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: January 12, 2018, 01:08:30 PM »
Yes, I've got wsm. Love it, it's fairly simple to use, maintains temp prettt well.
Any specific questions?

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: January 12, 2018, 01:41:38 PM »
Those small second cut brisket's are defiantly difficult.I am going to try one this weekend- if I have the courage.

Offline rs242

• View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: January 12, 2018, 01:42:18 PM »
Yes, I've got wsm. Love it, it's fairly simple to use, maintains temp prettt well.
Any specific questions?
Am I crazy that I feel that wsm is just a glorified version of smoking on my Webber kettle? How does it hold temp?