Topic Wiki

Best first time smoked ribs/brisket recipe: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/big-bad-beef-rub-recipe

Chickens taste better when cooked whole. Pickles taste better cut. Sandwiches taste better cut and bitten from inside. Meat tastes better sliced against grain.

Definitely a smoker is a personal choice, and what is better depends on what you are looking for.  I say it's a balance of goals, between: (i) making good food, (ii) making authentic BBQ, (iii) having fun with the maaseh of smoking, and (iv) convenience.  Items (iii) and (iv) don't only conflict, they directly oppose each other.

I opted for items (i) and (iv) so went PBC.  I would say WSM is also mostly a (i) and (iv) choice, but it brings in extra elements of (ii) and (iii), at a slight cost to (iv).  Maybe WSM also better at (i)--I have no idea either way.

Further to the above:

If all you want is good food, get a sous vide.

If all you want is authentic BBQ, get a huge offset smoker that you feed with split logs.

If all you want is having fun with the maaseh of smoking, again, get a huge offset smoker.

If all you want is convenience, use your oven.

Henche's PBC review
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=43018.msg1439199#msg1439199
« Last edited by jj1000 on June 04, 2020, 10:13:19 AM »

Author Topic: Smoking Meats  (Read 422844 times)

Offline rs242

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking Meats
« Reply #1380 on: February 05, 2018, 02:00:18 PM »
@Sport Your brisket looks amazing! great job. Can you share your steps (including what rub you used)?

@rs242 incredible! Those briskets look really untrimmed. Where do you get them? and also what rub do you use?
They are “packers” they come untrimmed what your seeing is after I trimmed trying to leave a 1/4 inch fat cap. I used big bad beef rub with some of my own touches (less spicy). Total cook time about 10 hours. Total rest time 12 hours +. Yes 12 hours plus. Was moist and delicious.

Offline rs242

• View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: February 05, 2018, 02:17:30 PM »

This was actualy  a pretty eventful smoke. I use the wsm, and Usually itll hold temps for 6-8 hrs pretty well. I put it up at 1 am ms anticipating to take it off somehwere between 2-3 pm sunday. But it was really cold outside and the smoker went through charcoal at a much faster rate, temp dropped to under 200 at around 6 am and I was too tired to fix until 7.
Then I wasn't home from 9-230. I put my thermometer screen in front of my yi camera so I could monitor and had my brother on call.

Usually a wrap, but didnt need to this time.
Ive only injected once and it made the brisket really salty, probably due to the injection i used.

Dont have any real tips, the only thing I would recomend is dont be nervous, read up alot, get better quality brisket, and dont be afraid to put too much rub on.
Yea I also had a hard time holding temps sat night. Between 3 fat briskets in the pbc and very cold it was running st 200 finally after opening the intake all the way got it up to 250

Offline rs242

• View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: February 05, 2018, 02:21:41 PM »
@Sport what smoker do you use?

Do you inject to keep moisture in such a long cook?

Do you rap at the stall?

Do you marinate?

Would you mind sharing tips on how you relax while you are in such a long cook. I have done 8 hours before but i am so stressed out when I attempt long cooks. I guess it is just because I could mess it up so easily (as I did over cooked the second cut.)

Thanks
You have to relax and enjoy the cook give yourself extra time so u don’t have to stress. U can easily rest for 4 hours in a cooler. If u have a oven that can go down to 150 u can rest up to 16 hours ( this is from a conversation I had with some computation cookers). Your bark won’t look likes sports but will be great.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: February 05, 2018, 02:21:44 PM »
Yea I also had a hard time holding temps sat night. Between 3 fat briskets in the pbc and very cold it was running st 200 finally after opening the intake all the way got it up to 250

What elevation are you at? Did you put a full basket of coal, and chimney a full quarter of them?

Offline rs242

• View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: February 05, 2018, 02:23:48 PM »
What elevation are you at? Did you put a full basket of coal, and chimney a full quarter of them?
Yes. Yes. Yes. U think I’m going in with 3 packers and not going to start the pbc not down to detail. I was not going to experiment with this cook.

Offline Meno

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: February 05, 2018, 03:58:29 PM »
How do you know your goyishe neighbor didn't sneak into your backyard and switch the meat while you were sleeping?

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1386 on: February 05, 2018, 04:01:01 PM »
How do you know your goyishe neighbor didn't sneak into your backyard and switch the meat while you were sleeping?
Because he would be nitfas kiganov.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: February 05, 2018, 04:05:23 PM »

ziptie with my signature

Offline Sport

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: February 05, 2018, 05:24:05 PM »
How do you know he didny come into your house Friday night and swap out your chulent for pork goulash.

Offline Meno

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: February 05, 2018, 05:53:22 PM »
How do you know he didny come into your house Friday night and swap out your chulent for pork goulash.

Good question. I don't.

But if he did, I hope he had da'as l'hachzir.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 05:56:50 PM by Meno »

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #1390 on: February 05, 2018, 05:55:00 PM »
Either one if those should scare him away
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline rs242

• View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: February 05, 2018, 11:18:07 PM »
Just a little update on the PBC, and anyone thinking about getting a one. Before my big cook I was worried the pbc would not be able to handle 3 large packers, so I called them someone answered the phone and had a regular human being conversation about the cook she understood what a brisket was and told me she didn’t think the pbc would hold up. Her main concern was not as I had thought  that it was simply too much meat, but rather 3 briskets is a lot of fat dripping and will smother the coals. She suggested going with just 2, I had already trimmed and dry brined 3 and needed to do them. She said I can call on the weekend if I have a “cooking emergency” and needed help even thought the office is closed. She explained that Noah will get back to me if I leave a message. And that’s what I did I called partly for the fun of calling a company’s owner cell phone number (it’s on the recording to call his cell if u need something) and have him deal with your problem. He called me back the next morning I missed his call he apologized for taking so long to get back to me and explained that he had was traveling and had spotty service (to back up what he was saying as he was talking it was very choppy). Anyway he answer my question about the temps, basically told me to crack the lid open for a half hour to get the coals burning. This is something I figured out on my own to get the bbq going and finish my cook. But my point here is the level of costumer service is something I have never seen in my life. I am very impressed and I just wanted to give that over to you guys.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: February 05, 2018, 11:22:48 PM »
Just a little update on the PBC, and anyone thinking about getting a one. Before my big cook I was worried the pbc would not be able to handle 3 large packers, so I called them someone answered the phone and had a regular human being conversation about the cook she understood what a brisket was and told me she didn’t think the pbc would hold up. Her main concern was not as I had thought  that it was simply too much meat, but rather 3 briskets is a lot of fat dripping and will smother the coals. She suggested going with just 2, I had already trimmed and dry brined 3 and needed to do them. She said I can call on the weekend if I have a “cooking emergency” and needed help even thought the office is closed. She explained that Noah will get back to me if I leave a message. And that’s what I did I called partly for the fun of calling a company’s owner cell phone number (it’s on the recording to call his cell if u need something) and have him deal with your problem. He called me back the next morning I missed his call he apologized for taking so long to get back to me and explained that he had was traveling and had spotty service (to back up what he was saying as he was talking it was very choppy). Anyway he answer my question about the temps, basically told me to crack the lid open for a half hour to get the coals burning. This is something I figured out on my own to get the bbq going and finish my cook. But my point here is the level of costumer service is something I have never seen in my life. I am very impressed and I just wanted to give that over to you guys.

nice

Offline Sport

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: February 06, 2018, 07:22:37 AM »
Cool.

Online ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: February 06, 2018, 09:18:25 AM »

There are doctors i know who are less responsive to real emergencies

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: February 06, 2018, 03:23:03 PM »

GMG has too a very high level of customer service that I was very impressed with.

Where do you buy your packers from? How much PP?

O and tell us about the brine you are doing...

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: February 06, 2018, 03:33:04 PM »
GMG has too a very high level of customer service that I was very impressed with.

Brine? For brisket?🤫
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: February 06, 2018, 03:41:28 PM »
he probably means marinate...

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: February 06, 2018, 03:42:38 PM »

Offline rs242

• View Profile
Smoking Meats
« Reply #1399 on: February 06, 2018, 03:45:53 PM »

I was doing this cook by my friends kitchen he gets them from his meat distributor, so he gets them  wholesale. Dry brine is very complicated, u salt the meat a day before.