-Starfish point
-Turtle...
-RUM POINT
-SEVEN FATHOMS RUM DISTILLERY TOUR
-QUEEN ELIZABETH II BOTANICAL GARDENS
-blow hole
-Swimming with  dolphins
-Snorkling @ kittiwake
-Jetski/waverunner tour  (Discount Excursions & Red Sail Sports are virtually private in the mornings, and the cheapest )
-Horseback on the beach
-Downtown Georgetown
   a. Duty free shops
   b. Margarittaville
-Cemetary beach
-Cayman Kai - starfish
-Scuba diving (eden rock & devils grotto)

Getting Around:
Driving is on the other side of the car and street

Taxi
 George Town & SMB:

Truly Blessed Taxi (345) 517 2274
Ace (345) 777 7777
Super Cabs (345) 888 8888
Crown (345) 916 0111
Eastern Districts:

McCurley’s (345) 947 9626 (North Side)
Parrot Taxis (345) 329 1558 (Bodden Town)

Cayman Brac
Maple Taxi Services (345) 939 667

Bike rental
Bus ($2)

Notes:

Please Update the Wiki

Author Topic: Cayman Islands Thread  (Read 38317 times)

Offline soursticks

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Cayman Islands Thread
« on: July 02, 2014, 11:51:16 AM »
Going to Cayman Islands and have done a decent amount of research. Happy to share and get other input.

Another "Dan Dealer" has helped me with this info.

using Avios to go from Mia to GCM - only 4,500 Avios points each way.

Highlights to see on my list based on my research. Wil update after my trip, but woudl like to hear from others that have gone. There is a Chabad down there if needed.

1) Horseback riding with 'spirit of the west', - you ride along the beach and then go in the water on the horse

2) Jet Ski Stingray City Tours with fatfishadventures.com: Looks amazing and has great reviews. Jet ski 20 minutes to Stingray city and get in the water with stingrays, then jet ski back. Single or double jet skis available

Staying at Westin - SPG hotel, sounds pretty good, not too high end.

Offline E R K

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Cayman Islands Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 03:38:08 PM »
Thanks. Also going and staying at Westin GC. What are you doing for food? I know there are some stores there and you can bring in precooked food there. It hotel said they can't keep in their fridge or freezers and heat up for us. Said something about health dept. regulations.

Offline E R K

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 03:41:28 PM »
I have someone else's trip itinerary I'll share when I have a chance. They said stingray thing is excellent and underground submarine was awful.

Offline soursticks

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 11:05:27 AM »
I am only going for 2 nights, so food is up in the air. Vaccum packed deli?
Please post itenerary soon. I am going soon.
Planning on renting a car. Prices seem quite reasonable (but it sounds like there is a charge of about $20 for a drivers license/permit.
Supposedly a lot of the food in the grocery stores down there comes from the US.

Offline E R K

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 06:56:12 PM »
Here are additional things my friend did that you did not mention:
RUM POINT
STOP @ SEVEN FATHOMS RUM DISTILLERY TOUR
Go to QUEEN ELIZABETH II BOTANICAL GARDENS
Go to blow hole
Swimming with  dolphins
Snorkling @ kittiwake
Jetski/waverunner tour
Downtown Georgetown
   a. Duty free shops
   b. Margarittaville
 Cemetary beach
Cayman Kai - starfish
Scuba diving (eden rock & devils grotto)

Car rentals are cheap but they drive on the other side of the street.
My friend did t find much to do at night- one night they went to a fish feeding and another night to a beachside bar . But the sunset alone was worth the trip.

Enjoy your trip and please post your TR.

Offline soursticks

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 11:37:23 PM »
Went to Cayman Islands for a short two night trip. Tried to relax, enjoy but also pack in a fair amount of adventure too. I feel I was succeessful.

Using Avios I went from Mia to GCM - only 9,000 Avios (and about $80) points round trip.

There is a Chabad down there if needed.

A lot of places are closed on Sunday.

1) Jet Ski Stingray City Tours with fatfishadventures.com: AMAZING. There were three other people on our jet ski "tour". Van picked us up at hotel. Jet ski 20 minutes to Starfish point get off the jet ski and hold starfish in shallow water. Then went another 20 min jet ski to Stingray city and get in the water with stingrays (EXTREMELY COOL), then jet ski 20 min to an area to snorkel, then 20 min jets ski to a cafe on the beach and some had lunch, we had drinks. Then 20 min back to launch site. We left at 1:00 and got back after 4:00. This was the highlight of the trip.  Went 53 mph on the jet jki.  Single or double jet skis available.

2) Horseback riding with 'spirit of the west', - you ride along the beach and then go in the water on the horse. It was nice but not unbelievable. Beautiful slow trot on th ebeack. It was very cool that I actually took the horse into the water about 100 yards or more to the point where the horse swam a little. It was very speciual and unique but after jet ski trip it could't live up to that level. Still I do recommend it.

Stayed at Westin - SPG hotel, pretty good, not too high end. Very nice people working there. Wifi was only so-so. Was very comfortable place to stay.

Rented car from Budget. Found them to be very nice and right across the road from the airport. You literally walk there with your luggage. 1 minute walk at most.

Kosher food is pretty avaialble, supermarket had what a typical supermarket in the US would have (I was surprised), but all food and drinks there are quite expensive. 

Night life there is pretty quiet. Overall great place to get away.

Picture of view from our balcony at our room at the Westin below.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:48:33 PM by soursticks »

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 01:10:59 AM »
Glad it all worked out, sounds like you had a great time!!

Offline E R K

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 01:26:44 AM »
Thanks for your TR. Just a few Q's-
Did you need to rent a car? And how was driving opposite of USA?
How big was fridge in room? Are there microwaves?
I'll give you my TR in August.

Offline soursticks

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 11:16:36 AM »
Thanks for your TR. Just a few Q's-
Did you need to rent a car? And how was driving opposite of USA?
How big was fridge in room? Are there microwaves?
I'll give you my TR in August.

Car rental is not necessary, but helpful if you want o simply drive around an dsee the island. Most activities will pick you up. Cars are not that expensive, although they charge a $20 driver's license permit fee on top of rental. If you do get a car go with small car and ask about upgrading at rental counter for a few dollars more (in my opinion). Cost of trasportation to and from airport almost pays for car itself. Roads are a likely tricky, but you can't get too lost, island isn't that big and people are friendly. Very few traffic lights, a lot of roundabouts. I found it interesting to drive around, but not necessary.

Driving on the opposite side took a little getting used to, but it was not that difficult, just need to be more aware and cognizant of the oncoming traffic when turning.

Fridge was small/midsize fridge. Typical hotel fridge. Don't think there was any freezer in it. Ice machine in hallway. No microwave inmy room, don't know if any have.

If you stay at the Westin there is a free stand up paddle boating lesson each morning (Red Sail Sports), but you need to sign up for it. I didn't do it, but it seemed interesting.

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 03:24:41 PM »
but guys what about food? grocery has like Shoprite stuff??
My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes

Offline E R K

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 04:18:22 PM »
I haven't gone yet but breakfast might be oatmeal, cereal, cheese and bread
Lunch might be sandwich of some sort- PBJ or deli.
Dinner will be meal mart meals.
Snacks - granola bars. fruit
I will take a hot plate and pot to heat up meal mart meals and maybe bring pasta.
I am bringing all this with me. I'm going 5 days 4 nights.
I will buy perishables there- fruit, veggies
I am not c"y but you can bring soy milk.
This is obviously not a trip about the food!
My hotel has a small fridge.

Offline soursticks

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 12:58:25 PM »
The supermarket's have the regular stuff you would find in a supermarket at higher cost. There is bread, pita, wraps, yogurt, granola bars, peanut butter, chips, etc. It appeared that 75% of th efood there cam efrom the US and the rest was from England, Europe south america or local.   You will not go hungry but it is not a trip centered around the food.

Be aware that i think alot of there bread or similar items might be shipped frozen and defrost on shleves.

I actually went to a cafe/bar - restaurant. They made the se ice cream daquiris or something like that. I asked them how they made it and they showed me the mix that they simply pour into the machine. I am not paskening but it was delicious. They had about 4-5 flavors and they were all certified kosher (don't remember if it was OU Star-K or Chof -k, but it was one of those three) on the container. He then pours it in the machine and adds your choice of alcohol/rum if you want.   

Westin also has coffee machine in the rooms with starbucks puches for coffee maker and OU creamer in little containers (that and a granola bar was breakfast). Westin also had fridge in room. We brought schnitzel and put it in wraps we bought there.

Offline E R K

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 01:05:31 AM »
My TR:
Transferred MR to JetBlue for direct flight JFK-GCM -21,800/pp
Stayed at Westin. Over heard other people at hotel who've been there many times say they have nicest beach- more so than Marriott or Ritz.
Day 1 - Sunday - rented car because it's so cheap. Took a little getting used to driving on the other side of street. Car rental not necessary because all activities pick you up at no add'l charge. Everything is closed on Saturday and Sundays.
Day 2 - many people go to Foster's for food but around the corner of the hotel is Cost You Less. Like a Costco type store but you don't need membership. You can buy food and snacks. We bought fruit, veggies not in large quantities and eggs. I brought w me everything else. That afternoon we did horseback riding in water w spirit of the west.
At night hotel shows family friendly movies by the pool/beach restaurant.
Day 3- cayman islands is 1 of about 12 places that offer bioluminescent tours. We did it with Sea Elements because you put on a wet suit (to protect against jellyfish) and can swim with the microorganism and they light up like fireflies. Only done certain days of the year at night. Extremely cool. Cayman Kayaks does it also but you sit in a kayak.
Day 4- hotel offers free paddle board lessons. You MUST sign up 7:30am day before. They only have 8 spots. Fun to do.
Afternoon we did Stingray City with FatFish Adventures. Our guide and 2 other jet skiers were pretty adventurous so we had to keep up. Loads of fun. We also went snorkeling.
Day 5- left.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 01:12:17 AM by E R K »

Offline E R K

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 01:09:53 AM »
My view:

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 10:48:20 AM »
Afternoon we did Stingray City with FatFish Adventures. Our guide and 2 other jet skiers were pretty adventurous so we had to keep up. Loads of fun. We also went snorkeling.
That is amazing, was the highlight of my trip!

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2015, 04:15:31 PM »
Thinking of hopping over to the Caymans for two days while I'm in Miami and staying at the Westin. We'd be taking my 4 month old daughter with us. Any activities there that we can do with her? I'm guessing the Stringray is out, right?

Offline sedge

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2015, 11:07:21 PM »
Thinking of hopping over to the Caymans for two days while I'm in Miami and staying at the Westin. We'd be taking my 4 month old daughter with us. Any activities there that we can do with her? I'm guessing the Stringray is out, right?
Turtle farm.

We'll be there 1/21 to 1/26

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 06:13:33 PM »
Turtle farm.

We'll be there 1/21 to 1/26
Called one of the stingray city companies and they said there is no age restriction. They said I can bring my daughter and then wife and I switch off staying on the boat with my daughter and swimming with the stingrays. Think I'm going to do that. Any reason not to?

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2015, 11:51:34 PM »
Called one of the stingray city companies and they said there is no age restriction. They said I can bring my daughter and then wife and I switch off staying on the boat with my daughter and swimming with the stingrays. Think I'm going to do that. Any reason not to?
you'll be totally fine with her, turtle farm is also a great idea + its next door to a one of those dolphin places where you pay to swim with them

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2015, 12:10:40 AM »
you'll be totally fine with her, turtle farm is also a great idea + its next door to a one of those dolphin places where you pay to swim with them
Great. Thanks for confirming because I was a little concerned with taking her out on a boat. Already swam with dolphins 2 yrs ago in Cancun. Was fun, but don't think it's something that I'd do again.