Topic Wiki

I feel compelled to speak about a "Kol Koreh" signed by a number of Rabbis making the rounds and being published together with an alleged "translation" or "explanation" of the hebrew side.
On the Hebrew side it speaks out against the credit card application farms and their methods as I wrote in point 2 here: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/46584

However on the English side the author writes out against buying gift cards and every other method of manufactured spend to earn miles.

I figured it was worth investigating what exactly the Rabbis signed off on.  I called and asked Rav Shmuel Kamenetsky, the Rosh Yeshiva in Philadelphia, whether he agreed with the English side.  He said he never saw an English side and that it was terrible that it would imply that he was agreeing with anything that wasn't explicitly written on the Hebrew side.  And he said that it has to be corrected so that people don't get that impression.

He does not feel that "all methods of manufacturing spend for miles are abusive," and indeed if there are legal ways to do it, then people should go right ahead and earn the miles.

I also called Rav Dov Kahan, founder of Bais Din Maysharim in Lakewood.  He also did not agree that "all methods of manufactured spend are abusive" but felt that methods in which each party (the store and the credit card in the case of a gift card purchase) say that you can do so and it's not against any of their terms, would be permissible and that isn't what the Kol Koreh was targeting.

-Dan

Reply #194
Rav Kamenetsky just called me back.

He says aderaba, if people can find a way to purchase miles via stores who charge for gift cards and and they can get miles then good for them.  Nothing wrong with that kind of MS at all and he had no idea why the author would deceive him like that.

The problem he signed against was the companies opening cards for people and their methods, nothing else.

Reply #280
The only kind of MS that R' Kaminetzky said isn't "yashur" and that he was signing onto was for refundable items.

He wasn't told anything about any other kind of MS.

« Last edited by Dan on July 10, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »

Author Topic: Kol Koreh against MS  (Read 94437 times)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Kol Koreh against MS
« Reply #280 on: July 09, 2014, 10:39:26 AM »
The only kind of MS that R' Kaminetzky said isn't yashur and that he was signing onto was refundable items.
Ok, but that is not explicitly implied in the hebrew text at all.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 09, 2014, 10:40:39 AM »
I feel bad to disagree but I don't even see a svarah to say GC is a problem.
I would literally bet money that if you ask R matisyohu he would tell you not to do it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #282 on: July 09, 2014, 10:41:19 AM »
Ok, but that is not explicitly implied in the hebrew text at all.
That is how the KK author explained MS to him when he signed.
Feel free to call him yourself.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #283 on: July 09, 2014, 10:41:42 AM »
I would literally bet money that if you ask R matisyohu he would tell you not to do it.
Can you give me one Svarah to assur?

Offline HowYaDoin

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 09, 2014, 10:42:06 AM »
what is wrong with buying gift cards?? they sell them in the store you buy them end of story its like buying milk and by the way you get points

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 09, 2014, 10:43:58 AM »
That is how the KK author explained MS to him when he signed.
Feel free to call him yourself.
I don't doubt that at all.

I just wonder if some would argue that MS is not the intention of the CC companies and therefore is wrong. Period.

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #286 on: July 09, 2014, 10:44:28 AM »
If I have a machine (in WM ;) ) that for every sack of potatoes I put in it gives me $10 and I go to the store and buy a sack for $10 and just keep doing this over and over to generate miles, is it a problem? So why from the fact that I have a way to cash out GC should make it an issue?

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 09, 2014, 10:44:45 AM »
And I would literally bet money that if you asked him if it's okay to:
Watch a movie
go to an amusement park
go to a baseball game
watch the world cup
'shmooze' in an online forum/website
fill up 2 cars at shell together
follow sports
go to 7-Eleven
read readers digest

he'd tell you not to do it

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 09, 2014, 10:47:26 AM »
And I would literally bet money that if you asked him if it's okay to:
Watch a movie
go to an amusement park
go to a baseball game
watch the world cup
'shmooze' in an online forum/website
fill up 2 cars at shell together
follow sports
go to 7-Eleven
read readers digest

he'd tell you not to do it
Oh c'mon, I believe that he would sign against the concept of MANUFACTURED spending as unyashrus. By its very definition. For this reason it would be difficult to delegitimize the KK especially if the english page was reviewed by him... That is the extent of this discussion.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 09, 2014, 10:48:24 AM »
Thanks for sharing what you think.
No need to be sarcastic/condescending. That is in fact the point of forums such as these. At least he wrote 'I think' instead of stating his opinion as fact.

Either way, I can't even read rots5's sentence.
I asked a very respectable rav and i eas told more than once PGGM is allowed (more details than just this) but there is room to say its alllowed
PGGM is allowed ... but there is room to say its alllowed? What does that even mean?

That's not to say I agree it's assur. I don't have an informed opinion, and I would just ask my Rov. I assume you've done the same, so wouldn't it be sufficient to just respond that Rabbi Chaiken (or whoever) said such and such?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #290 on: July 09, 2014, 10:56:33 AM »
No need to be sarcastic/condescending.
Not being sarcastic, but unless you have dayanus then why are you sharing what you think about halacha?
Ask your Rov and feel free to share, but in these inyonim most people's 2 cents aren't worth more than 2 cents.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline YOSEF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 09, 2014, 11:00:19 AM »
Not being sarcastic, but unless you have dayanus then why are you sharing what you think about halacha?
Ask your Rov and feel free to share, but in these inyonim most people's 2 cents aren't worth more than 2 cents.
Most of this thread has been people thinking about halacha and why a KK or letter isn't correct, and we can be more maikel.

One guy wants to be machmir and he gets told to ask a LOR, instead of conjecture like anyone else?

Also, how is it not stealing? Delta loses processing fees on returns....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 09, 2014, 11:08:45 AM »
Most of this thread has been people thinking about halacha and why a KK or letter isn't correct, and we can be more maikel.

One guy wants to be machmir and he gets told to ask a LOR, instead of conjecture like anyone else?

Also, how is it not stealing? Delta loses processing fees on returns....
I don't think anyone is saying that any MS is assur. It's a question of yashrus.  RK said that refundables aren't yashur but GCs seem to be perfectly fine. And that companies opening cards without the people ever getting the cards is wrong.
But feel free to ask a LOR about any of this instead of a manipulated KK.

Why would DL lose money on processing fees? They get back the fees when the return is done.

Offline shidduch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 09, 2014, 11:14:31 AM »

Based on what Svarah did the rav permit PGGM?  Many rabbanim may be respectable but they are not qualified to answer choshen mishpat questions.  Very few rabbanim actually have Yadin Yadin semicha.  I am open to hear what others say.  But if you look in the Book by Rav Ahron Levine Z"L he mentions that buying stuff with the intent to return is geneivas daas.  In this case there is a cost to the credit card company because they are giving you a credit for something that wasnt purchased in reality so it may border on geneiva.

Dont get me wrong I am all for taking advantage of things when permitted.  But where something is not right I think we should stay away from it.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #294 on: July 09, 2014, 12:52:17 PM »
I dont think any rav would say PGGM is mutar.  Buying something with the intention of returning is geneivas daas at the least and can possibly be geneiva also.
I asked a very respectable rav and i eas told more than once PGGM is allowed (more details than just this) but there is room to say its alllowed 
No need to be sarcastic/condescending. That is in fact the point of forums such as these. At least he wrote 'I think' instead of stating his opinion as fact.
Shidduch didn't just state an opinion on the matter. He stated that there would be no mattir. Dan then quoted someone bringing a matir.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 09, 2014, 01:08:41 PM »
I would not be surprised at all if the english page was indeed reviewed by at least one of the signatories. 
I would.

Why would you even think it was showed go them? There's nothing that implies that they saw it,  and so far we have one confirmation the other way (that it wasn't showed to them)

I think you're giving the kk organizers to much credit here. 

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #296 on: July 09, 2014, 01:26:46 PM »
I would.

Why would you even think it was showed go them? There's nothing that implies that they saw it,  and so far we have one confirmation the other way (that it wasn't showed to them)

I think you're giving the kk organizers to much credit here.

+1

I think people have a problem with the publication for not clearly delineating that the english rant was separate from the KK. It was clear enough to me, even on first glance, but maybe my comprehension skills are advanced. I don't know.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 09, 2014, 01:30:14 PM »
Is the new issue out yet ?

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 09, 2014, 01:32:09 PM »
Is the new issue out yet ?
The 'date' on the covers is Friday - http://www.lakewoodshopper.com/
So that's probably the earliest it's available.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 09, 2014, 01:33:21 PM »
Dont hold your breath..