Topic Wiki

I feel compelled to speak about a "Kol Koreh" signed by a number of Rabbis making the rounds and being published together with an alleged "translation" or "explanation" of the hebrew side.
On the Hebrew side it speaks out against the credit card application farms and their methods as I wrote in point 2 here: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/46584

However on the English side the author writes out against buying gift cards and every other method of manufactured spend to earn miles.

I figured it was worth investigating what exactly the Rabbis signed off on.  I called and asked Rav Shmuel Kamenetsky, the Rosh Yeshiva in Philadelphia, whether he agreed with the English side.  He said he never saw an English side and that it was terrible that it would imply that he was agreeing with anything that wasn't explicitly written on the Hebrew side.  And he said that it has to be corrected so that people don't get that impression.

He does not feel that "all methods of manufacturing spend for miles are abusive," and indeed if there are legal ways to do it, then people should go right ahead and earn the miles.

I also called Rav Dov Kahan, founder of Bais Din Maysharim in Lakewood.  He also did not agree that "all methods of manufactured spend are abusive" but felt that methods in which each party (the store and the credit card in the case of a gift card purchase) say that you can do so and it's not against any of their terms, would be permissible and that isn't what the Kol Koreh was targeting.

-Dan

Reply #194
Rav Kamenetsky just called me back.

He says aderaba, if people can find a way to purchase miles via stores who charge for gift cards and and they can get miles then good for them.  Nothing wrong with that kind of MS at all and he had no idea why the author would deceive him like that.

The problem he signed against was the companies opening cards for people and their methods, nothing else.

Reply #280
The only kind of MS that R' Kaminetzky said isn't "yashur" and that he was signing onto was for refundable items.

He wasn't told anything about any other kind of MS.

« Last edited by Dan on July 10, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »

Author Topic: Kol Koreh against MS  (Read 94383 times)

Offline aj26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Kol Koreh against MS
« Reply #400 on: July 09, 2014, 10:41:05 PM »
If you dont say anything, then before you know if they will be making asifias and stuff about this. (although I dont think they'll shlep all the way to CLE to protest outside your house.  Then again they may want to burn the last of their miles  :P)

In all seriousness, I believe it should be address, bec obviously the KK was totally misleading.

Maybe they'll have public cc burnings

Offline lunatic

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 09, 2014, 10:47:36 PM »
Maybe they'll have public cc burnings
Maybe they will not allow kids in lakewood schools if their parents go to staples

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 09, 2014, 10:47:39 PM »
Actually the KK was about the CC farms and he said these CC farms have moved onto things beyond refundables into more murky territory
but he didn't want to tell me what exactly.
Anyone know anyone who actually signed up and can post a copy of their statements? Just curios.

Offline george

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 09, 2014, 10:54:41 PM »
Anyone know anyone who actually signed up and can post a copy of their statements? Just curios.
I would think they wouldn't have access to the statements. You think these guys provide their customers with login info etc? Why would they?

Offline menachem_m

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 09, 2014, 10:57:09 PM »
They go to the Rav because they have Yiras Shamayim. I'm sure they include all the facts, they want to know if it's the right thing to do.
Hate to break it to you, but people actually have two souls. One of them is evil.

It's also not so easy to be objective when you already decided the psak you want.

Again, I'm not suggesting that it's ossur. Just wondering if people objectivity explain both sides.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 09, 2014, 10:57:52 PM »
I would think they wouldn't have access to the statements. You think these guys provide their customers with login info etc? Why would they?
You think ALL their customer are absolute fools? Can't they call amex to login, don't they get any paperwork etc?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 09, 2014, 10:58:36 PM »
see the op
or am I not understanding your question.
Cc statements from the farmers. C:-)

Offline george

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 09, 2014, 11:01:05 PM »
You think ALL their customer are absolute fools? Can't they call amex to login, don't they get any paperwork etc?
By definition, yes. Well, not fools per se, but ignorant and naive certainly. Who else would be a customer?

Offline ybeeds

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
    • JewishMusicStream.com
« Reply #408 on: July 09, 2014, 11:47:37 PM »
Your missing the point. The potential problem that some people see here is doing it with chase.
Chase is OBVIOUSLY offering the 5% as a way to get you to have the card in your wallet. Think lounge access etc. Once it's in your wallet, they want a REAL business to do actually spending, and the occasional phone bill or staples visit will give them 5x.

I don't think anyone will argue with that. They cannot sustain 100% spending at office stores obviously.

Now, when you go out of your way to buy gc which you have 100% no need for you are perhaps exploiting them.

Some will say ossur. Some will say it's mutor as long as your following the T&C.

So I'm not sure what's radical about some saying its not ossur but your abusing chase. I don't necessarily agree, but I think it's definitely a legitimate view point.
May I make the assumption that you don't have a business of your own?

I can tell you from personal experience: Almost every last penny spent on my Chase Ink Business Credit Cards, is spent for business purposes, on 5 x rewards categories. That's close to half a million dollars last year alone. Chase is glad to keep me as customer. Yes, I did buy some, but very few GCs.

My office buzzes to the JewishMusicStream!!!

Offline Moes Tavern

• View Profile
  • Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite
« Reply #409 on: July 09, 2014, 11:49:17 PM »

I can tell you from personal experience: Almost every last penny spent on my Chase Ink Business Credit Cards, is spent for business purposes, on 5 x rewards categories. That's close to half a million dollars last year alone. Chase is glad to keep me as customer. Yes, I did buy some, but very few GCs.
The limit is $50K for 5x Rewards.   :P
"I've done some things I'm not proud of, and the things I am proud of are pretty disgusting"

Offline menachem_m

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 09, 2014, 11:51:40 PM »

A) Obviously wasn't referring to you.
B) Realize that you are in the minority.

Most legit business's don't have 97% of their spend in the 5x categories. If so, chase would not be running the promo. I think that's pretty self-understood.
If you personally are, good for you, and I can't see anything wrong with what your doing.

Offline avrumy22

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 09, 2014, 11:52:36 PM »

Exactly!! So hes saying its worth it for them to have him as a customer!!  :o

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #412 on: July 09, 2014, 11:55:24 PM »
Or he has multiple Inks? :o

Offline Moes Tavern

• View Profile
  • Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite
« Reply #413 on: July 10, 2014, 12:06:49 AM »
I was just being Captain Obvious.  ;)
"I've done some things I'm not proud of, and the things I am proud of are pretty disgusting"

Offline ybeeds

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
    • JewishMusicStream.com
« Reply #414 on: July 10, 2014, 12:23:53 AM »
I have quite a few Ink cards... and they are all linked to one online account.  ::)
Almost every last penny spent on my Chase Ink Business Credit Cards, is spent for business purposes, on 5 x rewards categories. That's close to half a million dollars last year alone. Chase is glad to keep me as customer. Yes, I did buy some, but very few GCs.
My office buzzes to the JewishMusicStream!!!

Offline yoshi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 10, 2014, 01:39:56 AM »
I spoke to R' Kahan.
He said the intention of the KK isn't for the Rabonim to specify specific methods but the intention is that people shouldn't do shtick that companies wouldn't agree to let you do and can cause a chillul hashem or mileage clawback down the line.  The application farms are something companies wouldn't allow, therefore people shouldn't do it.

So if Chase would allow you to buy GCs and Evolve then, then go right ahead and enjoy the miles, no problem.
But if it's something that they would say you can't do then it's something the rabonim intended in the KK.

He said the bolded language of "All MS" was too strong. If it's something the bank says you can do, then it's permissible.
Where would pggm fall in with this? I doubt amex will allow it if you were to call. Or it could be they would once they give you the money they may say keep it. But that doesn't solve the issue of knowing it would happen before hand. Or since its a computer mistake then it's different? Also could one assume that amex knows about pggm yet ignores it? If that were the case I'm sure that would change things.

Offline shidduch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 10, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
Typical one sided internet arguing. You knew there is a tzad that would go against your whole argument, but you wanted to prove a point so you only argued the side you like.
I actually had not thought about the fact that it could be different because its a computer.  I will look into this and report back.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 10, 2014, 10:25:33 AM »
I actually had not thought about the fact that it could be different because its a computer.  I will look into this and report back.
Don't forget to investigate whether corporations have halachic personhood while you are at it.

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #418 on: July 10, 2014, 10:30:19 AM »
Recent Supreme court ruling seems that corporations (with a limited ownership) can have religious convictions.
Not sure what the halachic ramafacations of the Hobby Lobby ruling is.
^^^

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #419 on: July 10, 2014, 11:16:46 AM »
Hate to break it to you, but people actually have two souls. One of them is evil.

It's also not so easy to be objective when you already decided the psak you want.

Again, I'm not suggesting that it's ossur. Just wondering if people objectivity explain both sides.

I'm actually totally with you.