Topic Wiki

I feel compelled to speak about a "Kol Koreh" signed by a number of Rabbis making the rounds and being published together with an alleged "translation" or "explanation" of the hebrew side.
On the Hebrew side it speaks out against the credit card application farms and their methods as I wrote in point 2 here: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/46584

However on the English side the author writes out against buying gift cards and every other method of manufactured spend to earn miles.

I figured it was worth investigating what exactly the Rabbis signed off on.  I called and asked Rav Shmuel Kamenetsky, the Rosh Yeshiva in Philadelphia, whether he agreed with the English side.  He said he never saw an English side and that it was terrible that it would imply that he was agreeing with anything that wasn't explicitly written on the Hebrew side.  And he said that it has to be corrected so that people don't get that impression.

He does not feel that "all methods of manufacturing spend for miles are abusive," and indeed if there are legal ways to do it, then people should go right ahead and earn the miles.

I also called Rav Dov Kahan, founder of Bais Din Maysharim in Lakewood.  He also did not agree that "all methods of manufactured spend are abusive" but felt that methods in which each party (the store and the credit card in the case of a gift card purchase) say that you can do so and it's not against any of their terms, would be permissible and that isn't what the Kol Koreh was targeting.

-Dan

Reply #194
Rav Kamenetsky just called me back.

He says aderaba, if people can find a way to purchase miles via stores who charge for gift cards and and they can get miles then good for them.  Nothing wrong with that kind of MS at all and he had no idea why the author would deceive him like that.

The problem he signed against was the companies opening cards for people and their methods, nothing else.

Reply #280
The only kind of MS that R' Kaminetzky said isn't "yashur" and that he was signing onto was for refundable items.

He wasn't told anything about any other kind of MS.

« Last edited by Dan on July 10, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »

Author Topic: Kol Koreh against MS  (Read 93920 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Kol Koreh against MS
« Reply #440 on: July 10, 2014, 04:55:00 PM »
I ain't no Rabbi, but it seems crazy to me that it'd be assur to walk into Stop and Shop, buy the gallon of milk they have on a great sale, and walk out.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline menachem_m

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 10, 2014, 04:55:40 PM »
How about buying 5000 of them?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #442 on: July 10, 2014, 04:56:27 PM »
Not sure it should or does make any difference.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline menachem_m

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 10, 2014, 04:58:35 PM »
Buying one is their intention. Buying 5000 is perhaps not their intention and therefore perhaps could be perceived by some as exploitation and therefore unethical.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 10, 2014, 04:59:43 PM »
Why is their intention relevant? Should it be?

If their intention is to buy 1, they could limit at 1... just like Chase does at $50k.

Furthermore, though perhaps not completely analogous, how is it not "exploiting" when someone purchases a stock from the seller on the knowledge (assume he knows and it's not insider trading) that it's going up? The sller has "no intention it's going up!" He's "being exploited!"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:02:53 PM by AJK »

Offline menachem_m

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 10, 2014, 05:09:42 PM »
Walmart is loosing money on the said particular loss leader. The intention is obviously to lose $1 on you coming in to the store and buying more. Clearly not for a mom & pop store to come stock up and flip.

I believe everyone can agree to that.

May not be practical to limit. I don't know. I can safely assume though that  even if they don't hard limit it, it is not their intention for you to come in a buy 5000.

I think everyone can agree to that too.

Not saying it's ossur to buy the 5000 milks while they are loosing $500. Just said that it could perhaps be seen by some as exploitation and therefore unethical.

Who is losing money in the stock analogy?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #446 on: July 10, 2014, 05:11:16 PM »
Worth posting this as an update to http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/46584
Or just ignore it?

I feel compelled to speak about a "Kol Koreh" signed by a number of Rabbis making the rounds and being published together with an alleged "translation" or "explanation" of the hebrew side.
On the Hebrew side it speaks out against the credit card application farms and their methods as I wrote in point 2 below.
However on the English side the author writes out against buying gift cards and every other method of manufactured spend to earn miles.

I figured it was worth investigating what exactly the Rabbis signed off on.  I called and asked Rav Shmuel Kamenetsky, the Rosh Yeshiva in Philadelphia, whether he agreed with the English side.  He said he never saw an English side and that it was terrible that it would imply that he was agreeing with anything that wasn't explicitly written on the Hebrew side.  And he said that it has to be corrected so that people don't get that impression.

He does not feel that "all methods of manufacturing spend for miles are abusive," and indeed if there are legal ways to do it, then people should go right ahead and earn the miles.

I also called Rav Dov Kahan, founder of Bais Din Maysharim in Lakewood.  He also did not agree that "all methods of manufactured spend are abusive" but felt that methods in which each party (the store and the credit card in the case of a gift card purchase) say that you can do so and it's not against any of their terms, would be permissible and that isn't what the Kol Koreh was targeting.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline menachem_m

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 10, 2014, 05:15:57 PM »
Unfortunately I can see the attacking comments/attitude from a mile away.

"He's biased",  "obviously he's twisting the words, it's his business"  etc.

Offline Toasted

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 10, 2014, 05:20:28 PM »
Looks very fair. I think you should just clarify with R' Shmuel if he's ok with you publishing this conversation to the entire world. Otherwise, you may be somewhat guilty (5%) of the sin you're in the process of condemning.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #449 on: July 10, 2014, 05:23:56 PM »
Looks very fair. I think you should just clarify with R' Shmuel if he's ok with you publishing this conversation to the entire world. Otherwise, you may be somewhat guilty (5%) of the sin you're in the process of condemning.
He specifically told me that it should be corrected and that what the author of the KK did was terrible.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #450 on: July 10, 2014, 05:25:52 PM »
He specifically told me that it should be corrected and that what the author of the KK did was terrible.
Can we get a name??

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 10, 2014, 05:26:45 PM »
I don't know it.

Offline alpicone

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 10, 2014, 05:30:22 PM »
Or just ignore it?

Not sure why you would need to post about it... I never heard of a Kol Koreh before this thread and I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the DDMS readers don't even know about this article.

Offline TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 10, 2014, 05:33:46 PM »
Get ready for lots of "speechless comments". Most DDMS readers probably don't know about it.

Offline Toasted

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 10, 2014, 05:34:50 PM »
Can we get a name??

Who cares?

Must not be from the 36 holy ones if he's proficient in every shtick in the book and misled some of the Rabbonim. On the other hand let's give him some credit for organizing a KK to protect people from the p*mp farms. Something Admiral Dan has been rallying about for a while.

Offline Sport

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 10, 2014, 05:42:11 PM »

Or just ignore it?

It depends what you are trying to accomplish by posting this. I can definitely see this coming off as  you being defensive. So unless you have a real compelling reason (either professionally or ethically) to post this I would just ignore it.

Offline mb1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 10, 2014, 05:52:57 PM »
as you've said in the past:
Tens of thousands of people from all walks of life check out DansDeals.com every day.

Don't think it's the proper forum to publicize the concept of kol korehs or to clarify them.

Offline avadah

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 10, 2014, 06:04:15 PM »
as you've said in the past:
Don't think it's the proper forum to publicize the concept of kol korehs or to clarify them.
+1
How many people not from LKWD know about besides the ones following this thread. The ones following the thread are in the know. No reason to bring it up to people that don't know about it. For Lakewooders it's probably a safe bet that whoever plays the games is on the forums.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 10, 2014, 06:04:55 PM »
Fair enough, thanks guys.

Offline lunatic

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 10, 2014, 06:14:25 PM »
Fair enough, thanks guys.
Maybe a new DDF post for those who are not following this thread