Topic Wiki

I feel compelled to speak about a "Kol Koreh" signed by a number of Rabbis making the rounds and being published together with an alleged "translation" or "explanation" of the hebrew side.
On the Hebrew side it speaks out against the credit card application farms and their methods as I wrote in point 2 here: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/46584

However on the English side the author writes out against buying gift cards and every other method of manufactured spend to earn miles.

I figured it was worth investigating what exactly the Rabbis signed off on.  I called and asked Rav Shmuel Kamenetsky, the Rosh Yeshiva in Philadelphia, whether he agreed with the English side.  He said he never saw an English side and that it was terrible that it would imply that he was agreeing with anything that wasn't explicitly written on the Hebrew side.  And he said that it has to be corrected so that people don't get that impression.

He does not feel that "all methods of manufacturing spend for miles are abusive," and indeed if there are legal ways to do it, then people should go right ahead and earn the miles.

I also called Rav Dov Kahan, founder of Bais Din Maysharim in Lakewood.  He also did not agree that "all methods of manufactured spend are abusive" but felt that methods in which each party (the store and the credit card in the case of a gift card purchase) say that you can do so and it's not against any of their terms, would be permissible and that isn't what the Kol Koreh was targeting.

-Dan

Reply #194
Rav Kamenetsky just called me back.

He says aderaba, if people can find a way to purchase miles via stores who charge for gift cards and and they can get miles then good for them.  Nothing wrong with that kind of MS at all and he had no idea why the author would deceive him like that.

The problem he signed against was the companies opening cards for people and their methods, nothing else.

Reply #280
The only kind of MS that R' Kaminetzky said isn't "yashur" and that he was signing onto was for refundable items.

He wasn't told anything about any other kind of MS.

« Last edited by Dan on July 10, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »

Author Topic: Kol Koreh against MS  (Read 94241 times)

Offline chaimmayer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Kol Koreh against MS
« Reply #460 on: July 10, 2014, 06:28:44 PM »
The kk got a lot more press today.  Torah musings is a very popular website
http://www.torahmusings.com/2014/07/daily-reyd-194/

Offline frozy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 10, 2014, 08:37:34 PM »
I ain't no Rabbi, but it seems crazy to me that it'd be assur to walk into Stop and Shop, buy the gallon of milk they have on a great sale, and walk out.

חלב נכרי?????

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #462 on: July 10, 2014, 08:39:03 PM »
חלב נכרי?????

To resell to the fry jews, obviously.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline frozy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 10, 2014, 08:40:45 PM »
Alol a lesson on MS for the Yiddish speaker

במחילת כבוד תורתו הרמה, מען רעדט נישט פון בלויז קויפן קרעדיט קארד פוינטס, מען רעדט פון מעניופעקטושרד ספענדינג, ד.מ. מען נוצט א קרעדיט קארד אויף איינצוהאנדלען פוינטס אויף א וועג וואס איז נישט אזוי איי-איי-איי...

דער פשוט'סטער (?!) וועג פון טוהן אזא שטיקל איז מיטן עפענען א קרעדיט קארד וואס קומט מיט א אפפער פון טויזנטער פוינטס פאר די ערשטע פאר פוירטשעסעס אין א גרעסערע סכום, מען קויפט איין א רייע גיפט קארדס (וועלכע איז אגב היבש שווער אין רוב גרעסערע געשעפטן, זינט דאס איז א גרינגע וועג צו כשר'ן), נאכער קויפט מען איין מיט די גיפט קארדס 'מאני ארדערס', וועלכע ווערן דיפאזיטעד אין די אייגענע באנק אקאונט, חד גדיא, חד גדיא.. און עט די ענד אף די געים בלייבט מען מיט די פוינטס, און מיט די געלט אין טאש, מיינוס די פיס פארן קויפן דעם גיפט קארד און דעם מאני ארדער.

(Anonymous)

Didn't get the parenthetical part though

Offline Baruch

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 10, 2014, 08:41:23 PM »
He specifically told me that it should be corrected and that what the author of the KK did was terrible.
Include this specific info in your post. (that what the author did was terrible)

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #465 on: July 10, 2014, 08:44:23 PM »

Simple, he's saying that in most stores it's hard to buy GCs (?!) because that's an easy way to "Kasher" money...

Offline frozy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 10, 2014, 08:53:48 PM »
Ah as in ML instead of MS

Offline avadah

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 10, 2014, 08:55:49 PM »
Alol a lesson on MS for the Yiddish speaker

במחילת כבוד תורתו הרמה, מען רעדט נישט פון בלויז קויפן קרעדיט קארד פוינטס, מען רעדט פון מעניופעקטושרד ספענדינג, ד.מ. מען נוצט א קרעדיט קארד אויף איינצוהאנדלען פוינטס אויף א וועג וואס איז נישט אזוי איי-איי-איי...

דער פשוט'סטער (?!) וועג פון טוהן אזא שטיקל איז מיטן עפענען א קרעדיט קארד וואס קומט מיט א אפפער פון טויזנטער פוינטס פאר די ערשטע פאר פוירטשעסעס אין א גרעסערע סכום, מען קויפט איין א רייע גיפט קארדס (וועלכע איז אגב היבש שווער אין רוב גרעסערע געשעפטן, זינט דאס איז א גרינגע וועג צו כשר'ן), נאכער קויפט מען איין מיט די גיפט קארדס 'מאני ארדערס', וועלכע ווערן דיפאזיטעד אין די אייגענע באנק אקאונט, חד גדיא, חד גדיא.. און עט די ענד אף די געים בלייבט מען מיט די פוינטס, און מיט די געלט אין טאש, מיינוס די פיס פארן קויפן דעם גיפט קארד און דעם מאני ארדער.

(Anonymous)

Where's this from?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #468 on: July 10, 2014, 09:48:32 PM »
Include this specific info in your post. (that what the author did was terrible)
Isn't that understood from my statement? http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=43147.msg862540#msg862540
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 10, 2014, 10:05:35 PM »
if anyone thinks the CC companies don't care then try this experiment. when you call Chase recon tell them you don't have a real business, you made up the years in business and income, you are only doing it for the bonus and spending 50k on GC's at staples that you are then going to buy MO's with and pay off your CC. then tell them you plan on doing this over and over. let me know the result.  :)
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline chaimmayer

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 10, 2014, 10:07:03 PM »
I ain't no Rabbi, but it seems crazy to me that it'd be assur to walk into Stop and Shop, buy the gallon of milk they have on a great sale, and walk out.
How about buying 5000 of them?
I think it is more analogous to the store putting the gallon of milk on sale but writing limit 6 and you go back in to buy a second time from a different cashier.

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #471 on: July 10, 2014, 10:30:38 PM »
I think it is more analogous to the store putting the gallon of milk on sale but writing limit 6 and you go back in to buy a second time from a different cashier.
-1, Chase says 50K @ OSS and I won't go a dollar over! :)

Offline shidduch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 10, 2014, 11:01:32 PM »
I did not ask Rav Shmuel Kaminetzky yet, however, I did pose the shaila of PGGM to Rav Peretz Steinberg (A very well respected Rav in Queens) through my Rav  and he said that geneivas daas can apply when a person interacts with the computer and that PGGM would be at a minimum a form of geneivas daas.

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 10, 2014, 11:06:28 PM »
if anyone thinks the CC companies don't care then try this experiment. when you call Chase recon tell them you don't have a real business, you made up the years in business and income, you are only doing it for the bonus and spending 50k on GC's at staples that you are then going to buy MO's with and pay off your CC. then tell them you plan on doing this over and over. let me know the result.  :)
I am sure that chaim moskowitz did that

Offline shidduch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 10, 2014, 11:08:49 PM »
Actually Chase is very sophisticated.  About 8 years ago I was sitting at a bankers desk and they had a big red number on the screen.  It showed my profitability to chase overall including banking and credit cards.  My number was -5000 approximately.  They know exactly how much each person costs the bank.  If fact I am very close with several bankers there and there is only thing Chase cares about and that is the bottom line. 

I don't work for Chase but TBH, I don't understand how Ink has a profitable portfolio considering the massive gaming. But assuming you are someone who spends just 50k at office stores, or better yet you are like most of us who just open the card for points, spend 5k and close, you are not someone they want in their portfolio. To someone in marketing or finance, you are unprofitable. We are the exception in the PNL (assuming it's even profitable overall), offset by all the revolvers and high non-category spenders.

Of course they will treat you well in the branches - it's not like they are sophisticated enough to treat different segments differently. Even the entirety of cards is only a portion of Chase - business is a subsegment of that - high spending business a further subsegment and someone with the unique, category maximizing tendencies is rarer still. And your credit line is determined by risk - spend a lot, pay on time and avoid risky behavior (prepaying, other things) and you should have a high credit line to encourage more spending.

Offline Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 11, 2014, 12:08:35 AM »
Worth posting this as an update to http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/46584
Or just ignore it?

It seems that you have decided not to post on the main site. I don't  think its in you interest to do so. There is potential for strong criticism, which can be hurtfull to the site. Even if people don't disagree with the substance of your post; they may object to you stating your opinion in such a public way on what they view is a religious question. I just don't think it's worth the risk.

I say this despite my signature quote below. ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:13:24 AM by Thingywingy »
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #476 on: July 11, 2014, 02:21:14 AM »

How is it anything like that?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline yoshi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 11, 2014, 03:26:26 AM »
I did not ask Rav Shmuel Kaminetzky yet, however, I did pose the shaila of PGGM to Rav Peretz Steinberg (A very well respected Rav in Queens) through my Rav  and he said that geneivas daas can apply when a person interacts with the computer and that PGGM would be at a minimum a form of geneivas daas.
Interesting. Although I'm not sure that every rov will necessarily hold that. (I could be wrong) Keep us posted :)

Offline chaimmayer

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 11, 2014, 08:31:22 AM »
How is it anything like that?
I am not ure how to interpret your shayne punim but if you are serious what I meant simply is that I think that most of us agree that it makes sense that you are allowed to sig up for the cc just for the bonus.  Yes the company is losing money on you but that is the gamble they take in paying for customer acquisition.  The waters become  more murky when you rinse wash repeat.

That was what I meant about going back and buying more of the loss leaser when they write explicitly that there is a limit.

Offline Mimi K.

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 11, 2014, 12:34:32 PM »
I just spoke to KKADMR Dayeini this morning.
I met him in the "basement of his Shul".
(Anything more specific and people who don't know who I am will make inappropriate comments  :o :o)
He said it was 2,3 months ago that he was approached to sign.
He refused to discuss details.
He said "ich bin nisht bakaant in der inyan"
He said he signed "lechvoide shel Toireh" because Reb Shloime Miller, Reb Yankev Forscheimer and "nuch zex chusheva Yidden" signed.
He said he knows that he could be "upgenaart" on such an inyan so he would never sign something like this alone.
I told him that the guy wrote a whole translation that was more than the Hebrew.
He said he doesn't remember exactly the wording but it wasn't in English.
I tried to press him to tell me who it was but he just avoided the question.
"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Free Stuff!" 8)