Topic Wiki

I feel compelled to speak about a "Kol Koreh" signed by a number of Rabbis making the rounds and being published together with an alleged "translation" or "explanation" of the hebrew side.
On the Hebrew side it speaks out against the credit card application farms and their methods as I wrote in point 2 here: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/46584

However on the English side the author writes out against buying gift cards and every other method of manufactured spend to earn miles.

I figured it was worth investigating what exactly the Rabbis signed off on.  I called and asked Rav Shmuel Kamenetsky, the Rosh Yeshiva in Philadelphia, whether he agreed with the English side.  He said he never saw an English side and that it was terrible that it would imply that he was agreeing with anything that wasn't explicitly written on the Hebrew side.  And he said that it has to be corrected so that people don't get that impression.

He does not feel that "all methods of manufacturing spend for miles are abusive," and indeed if there are legal ways to do it, then people should go right ahead and earn the miles.

I also called Rav Dov Kahan, founder of Bais Din Maysharim in Lakewood.  He also did not agree that "all methods of manufactured spend are abusive" but felt that methods in which each party (the store and the credit card in the case of a gift card purchase) say that you can do so and it's not against any of their terms, would be permissible and that isn't what the Kol Koreh was targeting.

-Dan

Reply #194
Rav Kamenetsky just called me back.

He says aderaba, if people can find a way to purchase miles via stores who charge for gift cards and and they can get miles then good for them.  Nothing wrong with that kind of MS at all and he had no idea why the author would deceive him like that.

The problem he signed against was the companies opening cards for people and their methods, nothing else.

Reply #280
The only kind of MS that R' Kaminetzky said isn't "yashur" and that he was signing onto was for refundable items.

He wasn't told anything about any other kind of MS.

« Last edited by Dan on July 10, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »

Author Topic: Kol Koreh against MS  (Read 93917 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Kol Koreh against MS
« Reply #360 on: July 09, 2014, 06:16:31 PM »
That would be the only tzad to say its not geneivas daas that I can think of.

Its a very good question.
Typical one sided internet arguing. You knew there is a tzad that would go against your whole argument, but you wanted to prove a point so you only argued the side you like.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 09, 2014, 06:19:45 PM »
but you wanted to prove a point so you only argued the side you like.
seems to be a lot of that going on.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline yoshi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 09, 2014, 07:04:05 PM »
Why can't someone just ask a posek about pggm and see what he says? Obviously it'll have to be someone knowledgable asking someone knowledgable in this area.

Offline lunatic

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 09, 2014, 07:40:16 PM »
Why can't someone just ask a posek about pggm and see what he says? Obviously it'll have to be someone knowledgable asking someone knowledgable in this area.
What is that going to do? Suddenly that posek won't be good enough

Offline avadah

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 09, 2014, 07:41:46 PM »
Refundables was not the focus of my conversation, he said it's not right and the companies opening cards for people without the people ever touching the cards also isn't proper and we left it at that. He didn't say it was ossur.
Meaning holding onto the card and not using it or canceling right away to get AF refunded?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #365 on: July 09, 2014, 07:45:59 PM »
Meaning holding onto the card and not using it or canceling right away to get AF refunded?
Meaning the bonus is intended to get people to open their own cards, not for credit card farms to advertise that they will pimp out your SSN without you ever having to deal with a credit card.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #366 on: July 09, 2014, 08:17:01 PM »
I spoke to R' Kahan.
He said the intention of the KK isn't for the Rabonim to specify specific methods but the intention is that people shouldn't do shtick that companies wouldn't agree to let you do and can cause a chillul hashem or mileage clawback down the line.  The application farms are something companies wouldn't allow, therefore people shouldn't do it.

So if Chase would allow you to buy GCs and Evolve then, then go right ahead and enjoy the miles, no problem.
But if it's something that they would say you can't do then it's something the rabonim intended in the KK.

He said the bolded language of "All MS" was too strong. If it's something the bank says you can do, then it's permissible.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 08:22:58 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 09, 2014, 08:21:14 PM »

So if Chase would allow you to buy GCs and Evolve then, then go right ahead and enjoy the miles, no problem.
But if it's something that they would say you can't do then it's something the rabonim intended in the KK.

Agree with you but curious whether R Kahan said this or you're extending his point. They may let you do it but not intend for you to abuse it by buying 5+ figures of gift cards.

Offline yaakov s

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 09, 2014, 08:23:54 PM »
I spoke to R' Kahan.
He said the intention of the KK isn't for the Rabonim to specify specific methods but the intention is that people shouldn't do shtick that companies wouldn't agree to let you do and can cause a chillul hashem or mileage clawback down the line.  The application farms are something companies wouldn't allow, therefore people shouldn't do it.

We could split hairs from today until tomorrow , but it seems like Rabbi Kahan was quite sweeping in his intentions

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 09, 2014, 08:24:45 PM »
Agree with you but curious whether R Kahan said this or you're extending his point. They may let you do it but not intend for you to abuse it by buying 5+ figures of gift cards.
Those are his words.
Basically call up CS and ask if you can buy $10K of GCs at Staples and Evolve them.  If they say yes, then go right ahead.

He's in the office now, feel free to ask yourself.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 09, 2014, 08:25:56 PM »
We could split hairs from today until tomorrow , but it seems like Rabbi Kahan was quite sweeping in his intentions
No, he said if the place giving miles is OK with giving miles for that transaction and the store selling the item is OK selling the item that it's perfectly fine.

Again, go ahead and call yourself while he's in the office rather than take my word for it.

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 09, 2014, 08:30:16 PM »
Those are his words.
Basically call up CS and ask if you can buy $10K of GCs at Staples and Evolve them.  If they say yes, then go right ahead.

Just because CS says you can do it doesnt mean the company is OK with you doing it...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 09, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
Just because CS says you can do it doesnt mean the company is OK with you doing it...
Again, feel free to call him and ask how to clarify if something is OK.

From my talks with the banks they're well aware of MS and are OK with it as it gets people to use their cards for everything.
Trust me, if the banks weren't OK with any MS you wouldn't see a word about it in the blogs...

Offline bubbles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 09, 2014, 08:34:37 PM »
And barclay refundables?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 09, 2014, 08:37:09 PM »
And barclay refundables?
Wasn't discussed. Feel free to call him or call Barclays and ask what they think...

Offline george

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: July 09, 2014, 08:39:52 PM »
Those are his words.

Ha! I caught Dan himself breaking the cardinal rule: Never call to ask!
 :P :P :P

On a more serious note, thank you Dan for so diligently trying to sort this out in a direct and clear manner. A ton of respect is due you for PUTPAC these rabbonim.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 09, 2014, 08:43:11 PM »
Lol, but that's for glitches.
Then again having a thousand people call about MS from 08701 is gonna be looked at as pretty weird too.
Still I'm not really sure what to do with this info.  Worth a main site post? An update to the "some deals aren't deals" post?
Nothing at all?

R' Kahan was definitely aware of the English side and R' Shmuel was definitely not.

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 09, 2014, 08:43:12 PM »
 :P :P :P

On a more serious note, thank you Dan for so diligently trying to sort this out in a direct and clear manner. A ton of respect is due you for PUTPAC these rabbonim.
+1000. While everyone else is making up svaras, Dan actually called those who (perhaps) signed

Offline george

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 09, 2014, 08:48:58 PM »
Lol, but that's for glitches.
Then again having a thousand people call about MS from 08701 is gonna be looked at as pretty weird too.
Still I'm not really sure what to do with this info.  Worth a main site post? An update to the "some deals aren't deals" post?
Nothing at all?

R' Kahan was definitely aware of the English side and R' Shmuel was definitely not.
I think before you post anything you need to find out who you're up against. I.e. who is behind the KK and what are his motives. Then you'll have more clarity as to how to proceed.
Because if the guy is a troublemaker, you really should "fight" this more directly than by making a DDMS post. Perhaps by getting rabbonim signatories to force him to retract/ammend/explain in a new ad the real intentions of the signatories. Otherwise many many Lakewooders will walk away thinking all MS is assur.

Offline yaakov s

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 09, 2014, 08:51:45 PM »
Wasn't discussed. Feel free to call him or call Barclays and ask what they think...
He holds PGGM and Barclays refundable is exactly what was signed against .