Topic Wiki

Lifemiles Basics

Buying miles:

Lifemiles runs frequent promotions for buying miles, usually for 1.5 cents per mile. Given that Lifemiles has one of the most reasonable Star Alliance award charts, linked here, and doesn't charge fuel surcharges for any partners, buying miles can make a lot of sense.

The promos are usually run in one of two ways.

1. A straight up buy miles promo at 1.5cpm. In all previous buy miles promos, you needed to have an account before the promo starts in order to buy miles. Buying miles though the promo is limited to 75k per year. Be sure to use a credit card that does not charge foreign transaction fees.

2. A share miles promo. You can share miles from one account to another with a 100% bonus on each transaction. The cost is again 1.5cpm. Although in the past you needed to have a Lifemiles account in order to take advantage of the promo, the current promo (7/3-13) does not require a previously open account to participate. In order to maximize the promo on accounts not previously open, open 2 accounts, buy 1k miles at 3cpm, then share back and forth between both account at 1.5cpm. You can share back and forth between 2 accounts an unlimited amount of times provided you stay under the 75k cap. Doing this will most likely trigger a fraud alert with your CC, so it may be a good idea to call them beforehand and give them a heads up.

Lifemiles will also allow you to buy up to 60% of the miles required for booking a flight. The cost starts at 3cpm but is nonlinear. There are sweet spots that allows you to buy a large quantity of miles for 1.5cpm, usually in the 25-35k range. The 1.5cpm sweetspot varies depending on the amount required for the award. Full CPM spreadsheet linked here. (HT: Some dude on FT.)

Lifemiles is known to devalue without warning so hoarding miles is not advised. Buying miles at booking allows to hedge against sudden devaluations.

There is also a Lifemiles credit card  that occasionally offers a 40k bonus. Linked here.

Redeeming Lifemiles:
You can only redeem flights which are shown online. The Lifemiles call center has a horrible reputation and is usually useless. Emailing them usually yields better results if you can wait a day or two.

Lifemiles does not allow mixed cabin redemptions. If you want to book a first class flight with connections, you will need to book all legs in first class or book separate tickets.

Lifemiles is known to have better access to Miles & More and Singapore premium cabins than the rest of Star Alliance.

Lifemiles does not charge any fuel surcharges.

Lifemiles does not allow stopovers or open jaws on awards.

The max layover time that the booking engine will usually show is 8 hours, although people have had success forcing much longer layover times.

Lifemiles does not issue any lap infant award tickets.

Lifemiles cannot book any Austrian flights operated by Tyrolean Airways.

You can access partner confirmation numbers and eticket numbers with your Lifemiles PNR at checkmytrip.com

Lifemiles will occasionally show boomerang routings, which are routings that go from A-B, via C.  ;)

There are many mispriced cities and quirks in the Lifemiles booking engine, allowing for really cheap international awards.  ;)

Canceling a Lifemiles award: (HT, FT)

Lifemiles charges $150 to change an award and $50 to cancel.

Canceling:

1. This will take 20-30 minutes and costs $50
2. You have to pay the $50 up front and will need to have your credit card handy
3. You will need a PIN number for the call center. You set up the PIN online by changing your "information and preferences". Note that this has 3 pages but you only need to change the "Manage the Basics" page and hit "Save". The progress-bar at the top never seems to reach 100% but it doesn't matter. There are two places to press "Save and continue" when you give the PIN. The top button doesn't work. You have to click on the one on the bottom of the screen
4. Call the USA reservations number preferably during business hours +1 800 284 2622
5. Key 2 for English (or 1 for Spanish), 3 for Lifemiles/Corporate, then 1 for Lifemiles
6. If you have got a noisy phone line, hang up and go back to step 4. It is possible to get a good line even from overseas.
7. With luck, someone coherent will answer. If not, don't waste your time, HUCA
8. Give them the PNR to be cancelled
9. You will be asked "do you have a PIN". say yes. You will be put on hold
10. You will be connected to an automated system to key in your PIN. Don't press # afterwards.
11. You will be asked to pay the $50 via an automated system. You'll be asked for your CC number, then you must repeat it. Don't press # afterwards. Then the expiry month, then year, then the id number. Be ready to rattle through the keys as any hesitation causes the system to think you've finished. So, typically you will need 2-3 attempts. [The operator listens in on the automated process and helps you along if you don’t key in the right numbers]
13. You will be put on hold for 5-10 minutes while the card is checked. It may fail the first time, for no reason. Go back to step 12.
14. Once the CC is confirmed the operator will ask you for the full billing address, then your name as it appears on the card, then the name of the bank which issued the card.
15. You will be put on hold for 5-10 minutes
16. The operator will confirm the cancellation, or rather confirm it will be put in the queue for manual cancellation.
17. After 24 hours or so, you should receive an E Mail receipt for the $50 (could be in Spanish)
18. Miles will be refunded within 2-3 days, as if you had paid using the maximum miles with no cash to refund all the cash and the miles to what you had before making the booking. The miles sometimes reappear immediately. [Most often, the miles are available within 24 hours.]
19. The taxes - fairly modest - will be refunded in full since you already paid the cancellation fee up front. The refund should hit the CC within a week or so. No refund for the $25 booking fee.
20. The refund will be refunded to the original card.

« Last edited by username on March 11, 2019, 02:37:39 PM »

Author Topic: Lifemiles Master Thread  (Read 133834 times)

Offline benzy007

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lifemiles Master Thread
« Reply #340 on: December 08, 2021, 07:39:10 PM »
does avianca still have flight booking from new york to cleveland?

Offline Sport

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 14, 2021, 02:16:40 PM »
How difficult is it to change an award booking on partner airline and do they still charge $150? 

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 14, 2021, 02:38:35 PM »
How difficult is it to change an award booking on partner airline and do they still charge $150?
I have a DP with Swiss a few months ago. Waived change fees due to Covid and they picked up right away. May have just gotten lucky though.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 14, 2021, 02:40:31 PM »
I have a DP with Swiss a few months ago. Waived change fees due to Covid and they picked up right away. May have just gotten lucky though.
I'm looking to switch booking from one partner to another - Turkish air to Swiss air.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 14, 2021, 03:07:22 PM »
I'm looking to switch booking from one partner to another - Turkish air to Swiss air.
Shouldn't matter as long as there is availability (happens to be LifeMiles managed to switch me even though United wasn't showing any availability for that Swiss flight, but I wasn't complaining).

Offline belle

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: December 14, 2021, 09:18:11 PM »
I have 11,884 LMs to transfer, if anyone is interested. DM me with reasonable (not lowball!!) offers.

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 15, 2021, 05:24:42 AM »
Just discovered this awesome program.
I read the wiki and have some questions

1) How long will it take for miles to post to account when:
A) Transferring from a I'm a CC rewards program?
B) Purchasing from LM directly.

2) Can I immediately redeem the miles purchased/transferred for the full amount of miles required for a booking?

3) Can you transfer or purchase more than 75K per year?

4) I've noticed that YQ can be higher than what UA charges on awards for UA metal (IE ex-LHR). Is there a guide for which airlines have the least YQ when booking via Lifemiles?

Offline bznt

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 15, 2021, 08:51:50 AM »
Just discovered this awesome program.
I read the wiki and have some questions

1) How long will it take for miles to post to account when:
A) Transferring from a I'm a CC rewards program?
B) Purchasing from LM directly.

2) Can I immediately redeem the miles purchased/transferred for the full amount of miles required for a booking?

3) Can you transfer or purchase more than 75K per year?

4) I've noticed that YQ can be higher than what UA charges on awards for UA metal (IE ex-LHR). Is there a guide for which airlines have the least YQ when booking via Lifemiles?
1) instant (you may have to log out and back in)
2) yes
3) yes no limit
You can read more about this here

https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/milespoints/cracking-code-avianca-lifemiles-secret-award-chart-booked-459-ticket-6500-miles/

They currently have a 25% transfer bonus

https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/milespoints/transfer-citi-capital-one-points-avianca-lifemiles-get-25-bonus-redeem-united-award-flights-5-2k-points/

Offline bznt

• View Profile
Lifemiles Master Thread
« Reply #348 on: December 19, 2021, 04:48:24 PM »
Can anybody please explain what is going on here ?

And this is when I open it

Does this mean that they are selling none saver awards for a premium?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 06:35:41 PM by bznt »

Offline nucheiner

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 19, 2021, 06:57:51 PM »
Can anybody please explain what is going on here ?

And this is when I open it

Does this mean that they are selling none saver awards for a premium?
I read it as they are offering you to purchase a regular revenue ticket instead, on flights with no award availability. Prices are significantly higher at times.

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 15, 2022, 11:27:13 PM »
Anyone else seeing UA XN Space showing up? I've seen save space that specifically says "Exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus Cardmember" but it still shows up in LM.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 16, 2022, 01:04:47 AM »
Anyone else seeing UA XN Space showing up? I've seen save space that specifically says "Exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus Cardmember" but it still shows up in LM.
Did you check in expert mode to see if it's actually only XN space? Typically they will show you that even if it's in the regular saver X bucket.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 16, 2022, 01:06:46 AM »
Did you check in expert mode to see if it's actually only XN space? Typically they will show you that even if it's in the regular saver X bucket.
I didn't, but it did list it as XN on UA and had the chase card disclaimer, and IME that has never shown up on LM.

I'm not by a computer anymore, but the flight I was looking at was ORD-TPA at 7:30 am tomorrow.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #353 on: January 16, 2022, 01:09:49 AM »
I didn't, but it did list it as XN on UA and had the chase card disclaimer, and IME that has never shown up on LM.

I'm not by a computer anymore, but the flight I was looking at was ORD-TPA at 7:30 am tomorrow.

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 16, 2022, 01:10:00 AM »

It would show XN if you have the card, even if it's also available in X. In any case, I just checked a different route in LM, it didn't even show the X space for some reason.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #355 on: January 16, 2022, 01:11:22 AM »
It would show XN if you have the card, even if it's also available in X. In any case, I just checked a different route in LM, it didn't even show the X space for some reason.
LM generally won't book too close in to a flight. Maybe 12-18 hours or so?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 16, 2022, 01:11:40 AM »

That explains it!

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 16, 2022, 01:19:34 AM »
LM generally won't book too close in to a flight. Maybe 12-18 hours or so?
It was for a flight in August that had X9. Singapore showed it. Wasn't going to book it yet anyways (outbound is not available yet). Just keeping track.

Offline smaxber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 25, 2022, 05:09:43 PM »
Do LM awards include carryon/baggage? I know their cash flights have different categories (XS, s,m, l)

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 26, 2022, 12:53:38 AM »
Do LM awards include carryon/baggage? I know their cash flights have different categories (XS, s,m, l)
carryon but no baggage on domestic UA flights