Topic Wiki

Lifemiles Basics

Buying miles:

Lifemiles runs frequent promotions for buying miles, usually for 1.5 cents per mile. Given that Lifemiles has one of the most reasonable Star Alliance award charts, linked here, and doesn't charge fuel surcharges for any partners, buying miles can make a lot of sense.

The promos are usually run in one of two ways.

1. A straight up buy miles promo at 1.5cpm. In all previous buy miles promos, you needed to have an account before the promo starts in order to buy miles. Buying miles though the promo is limited to 75k per year. Be sure to use a credit card that does not charge foreign transaction fees.

2. A share miles promo. You can share miles from one account to another with a 100% bonus on each transaction. The cost is again 1.5cpm. Although in the past you needed to have a Lifemiles account in order to take advantage of the promo, the current promo (7/3-13) does not require a previously open account to participate. In order to maximize the promo on accounts not previously open, open 2 accounts, buy 1k miles at 3cpm, then share back and forth between both account at 1.5cpm. You can share back and forth between 2 accounts an unlimited amount of times provided you stay under the 75k cap. Doing this will most likely trigger a fraud alert with your CC, so it may be a good idea to call them beforehand and give them a heads up.

Lifemiles will also allow you to buy up to 60% of the miles required for booking a flight. The cost starts at 3cpm but is nonlinear. There are sweet spots that allows you to buy a large quantity of miles for 1.5cpm, usually in the 25-35k range. The 1.5cpm sweetspot varies depending on the amount required for the award. Full CPM spreadsheet linked here. (HT: Some dude on FT.)

Lifemiles is known to devalue without warning so hoarding miles is not advised. Buying miles at booking allows to hedge against sudden devaluations.

There is also a Lifemiles credit card  that occasionally offers a 40k bonus. Linked here.

Redeeming Lifemiles:
You can only redeem flights which are shown online. The Lifemiles call center has a horrible reputation and is usually useless. Emailing them usually yields better results if you can wait a day or two.

Lifemiles does not allow mixed cabin redemptions. If you want to book a first class flight with connections, you will need to book all legs in first class or book separate tickets.

Lifemiles is known to have better access to Miles & More and Singapore premium cabins than the rest of Star Alliance.

Lifemiles does not charge any fuel surcharges.

Lifemiles does not allow stopovers or open jaws on awards.

The max layover time that the booking engine will usually show is 8 hours, although people have had success forcing much longer layover times.

Lifemiles does not issue any lap infant award tickets.

Lifemiles cannot book any Austrian flights operated by Tyrolean Airways.

You can access partner confirmation numbers and eticket numbers with your Lifemiles PNR at checkmytrip.com

Lifemiles will occasionally show boomerang routings, which are routings that go from A-B, via C.  ;)

There are many mispriced cities and quirks in the Lifemiles booking engine, allowing for really cheap international awards.  ;)

Canceling a Lifemiles award: (HT, FT)

Lifemiles charges $150 to change an award and $50 to cancel.

Canceling:

1. This will take 20-30 minutes and costs $50
2. You have to pay the $50 up front and will need to have your credit card handy
3. You will need a PIN number for the call center. You set up the PIN online by changing your "information and preferences". Note that this has 3 pages but you only need to change the "Manage the Basics" page and hit "Save". The progress-bar at the top never seems to reach 100% but it doesn't matter. There are two places to press "Save and continue" when you give the PIN. The top button doesn't work. You have to click on the one on the bottom of the screen
4. Call the USA reservations number preferably during business hours +1 800 284 2622
5. Key 2 for English (or 1 for Spanish), 3 for Lifemiles/Corporate, then 1 for Lifemiles
6. If you have got a noisy phone line, hang up and go back to step 4. It is possible to get a good line even from overseas.
7. With luck, someone coherent will answer. If not, don't waste your time, HUCA
8. Give them the PNR to be cancelled
9. You will be asked "do you have a PIN". say yes. You will be put on hold
10. You will be connected to an automated system to key in your PIN. Don't press # afterwards.
11. You will be asked to pay the $50 via an automated system. You'll be asked for your CC number, then you must repeat it. Don't press # afterwards. Then the expiry month, then year, then the id number. Be ready to rattle through the keys as any hesitation causes the system to think you've finished. So, typically you will need 2-3 attempts. [The operator listens in on the automated process and helps you along if you don’t key in the right numbers]
13. You will be put on hold for 5-10 minutes while the card is checked. It may fail the first time, for no reason. Go back to step 12.
14. Once the CC is confirmed the operator will ask you for the full billing address, then your name as it appears on the card, then the name of the bank which issued the card.
15. You will be put on hold for 5-10 minutes
16. The operator will confirm the cancellation, or rather confirm it will be put in the queue for manual cancellation.
17. After 24 hours or so, you should receive an E Mail receipt for the $50 (could be in Spanish)
18. Miles will be refunded within 2-3 days, as if you had paid using the maximum miles with no cash to refund all the cash and the miles to what you had before making the booking. The miles sometimes reappear immediately. [Most often, the miles are available within 24 hours.]
19. The taxes - fairly modest - will be refunded in full since you already paid the cancellation fee up front. The refund should hit the CC within a week or so. No refund for the $25 booking fee.
20. The refund will be refunded to the original card.

« Last edited by username on March 11, 2019, 02:37:39 PM »

Author Topic: Lifemiles Master Thread  (Read 133529 times)

Offline points 99

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Lifemiles Master Thread
« Reply #360 on: January 28, 2022, 03:20:59 PM »
Just transferred Amex MR to LM. Waited over 2 hours and points still did not show up? Is this typical? In the meantime, the tix that I wanted to book are no longer available...
Also wondering when they were available (UA had saver avail), why they did not show avail on TK. Tried calling TK and they could not find..

Offline SOS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis First, Hertz Five Star, National Executive
« Reply #361 on: February 22, 2022, 10:27:53 PM »
if i book TK J with LM who do i call to add lap infant?

I know this is a few years late...
Were you able to add the lap child?
In the wiki it says that they don't issue lap infant tickets... trying to see if that's still accurate?

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 23, 2022, 09:16:27 AM »
Just transferred Amex MR to LM. Waited over 2 hours and points still did not show up? Is this typical?

No that's not normal...it's usually less than an hour for them to show up.

In the meantime, the tix that I wanted to book are no longer available...
Also wondering when they were available (UA had saver avail), why they did not show avail on TK. Tried calling TK and they could not find..

Do you have a UA credit card? If so, you may have been seeing expanded award avail. only offered to UA cardholders

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 28, 2022, 01:45:58 AM »
I tried booking two AC flights with LM. When I get to confirmation page, I get an error message and I cannot proceed.
This does not happen with UA flights.
Anyone experience this before?

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 01, 2022, 06:50:51 PM »
I tried booking two AC flights with LM. When I get to confirmation page, I get an error message and I cannot proceed.
This does not happen with UA flights.
Anyone experience this before?
I received a call from LM. They explained that for the past several months they haven't been able to ticket AC flights.

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 02, 2022, 11:17:57 AM »
I received a call from LM. They explained that for the past several months they haven't been able to ticket AC flights.

So did they offer you any sort of solution or work-around, or there's literally nothing they could do?

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 03, 2022, 02:30:20 AM »
So did they offer you any sort of solution or work-around, or there's literally nothing they could do?
They can’t do anything.
The guy said AC was notified three months ago and nothing has changed. He sounded frustrated with the situation and his inability to help customers. He says he gets these cases all the time.
@Dan , you may want to notate that in your next LM post.

Can LM expiration be extended with activity?

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 03, 2022, 10:17:39 AM »
They can’t do anything.
The guy said AC was notified three months ago and nothing has changed. He sounded frustrated with the situation and his inability to help customers. He says he gets these cases all the time.
@Dan , you may want to notate that in your next LM post.

Can LM expiration be extended with activity?

Yes they can be extended, but keep in mind that only earning activity resets the expiration clock. Spending miles does not reset the clock.

Another caveat to keep in mind is that I have heard their rules technically state transferring points from a credit card, for example AMEX MR, does not reset the clock… That being said it doesn’t seem like this is how things actually work in reality, I have definitely reset the clock on my miles using credit card point transfers...but it does carry some small risk if they suddenly start enforcing that supposed rule.

Offline herb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 11, 2022, 09:28:12 AM »
I'm new to lifemiles. Trying to figure out if flight is available

Does that mean available or not?

Offline zaltz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 13, 2022, 06:54:27 PM »
Hi.
I need help.

I bought a united flight on lifemiles.
And want to add an infant on lap ticket.
Called united and they said would have to do it through lm.
Anyone have any experience or know how to go about with this?
(I bought it on someone else's lm account, and he doesn't want to make calls...)

Thanks

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #370 on: March 13, 2022, 06:56:28 PM »
Hi.
I need help.

I bought a united flight on lifemiles.
And want to add an infant on lap ticket.
Called united and they said would have to do it through lm.
Anyone have any experience or know how to go about with this?
(I bought it on someone else's lm account, and he doesn't want to make calls...)

Thanks
Route?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline zaltz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 13, 2022, 06:59:58 PM »
Lga-ord

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #372 on: March 13, 2022, 07:01:27 PM »
Lga-ord
Add the infant at airport checkin. Just show up 15 minutes earlier than normal to do that.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline zaltz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 13, 2022, 07:05:44 PM »
Ok.
Thanks!

Offline Mo85

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 16, 2022, 11:49:25 AM »

No that's not normal...it's usually less than an hour for them to show up.

So what happened at the end? I'm in the same situation. Transferred points over an hour ago, and still don't see them. I want to book the tickets before they disappear. Cash tickets are about 300 a piece, and showing up for 7500 Lifemiles.

Offline Mo85

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: March 16, 2022, 11:53:52 AM »
How long does it take for Amex rewards points to transfer? This is my first time using Lifemiles and it has been over 1.5 hours, and I don't see the points. Any idea what to do? Do I contact Amex or Lifemiles?

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 16, 2022, 11:56:13 AM »
So what happened at the end? I'm in the same situation. Transferred points over an hour ago, and still don't see them. I want to book the tickets before they disappear. Cash tickets are about 300 a piece, and showing up for 7500 Lifemiles.

You might be running into this issue: https://thepointsguy.com/news/lifemiles-transfers-delayed/

Offline Mo85

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 16, 2022, 12:17:30 PM »
You might be running into this issue: https://thepointsguy.com/news/lifemiles-transfers-delayed/
It seems like it. That's a bummer. I hope the tickets I want are still available.

Offline Mo85

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 18, 2022, 09:36:24 AM »
It seems like it. That's a bummer. I hope the tickets I want are still available.
The miles posted, and B"h the tickets are still available, but it is not accepting my cc number. I put in a visa and Amex and it says we don't take this type of card. Also there is a redemption fee for $125 besides the regular domestic fee of $28 for 5 tickets. Does this make sense?

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 18, 2022, 03:32:55 PM »
Also there is a redemption fee for $125 besides the regular domestic fee of $28 for 5 tickets. Does this make sense?

Can you share a screenshot