Author Topic: Aliya flight-earning miles and qualifying for status-reimbursement success?  (Read 1330 times)

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • Israel Olympian AJ Edelman / Israel Bobsled BobTeam Edelman
  • Location: A bobsled track going 90mph, or in a plane doing 500.
  • Programs: Sleeping-on-couches (Hachnasat Orchim) Diamond
Hi guys,
Next month I am making Aliya officially.
Thing is:
a) I am based not in NY and the only flight in the timeframe is from JFK so i'd have to pay to get to JFK, and it'd cost me a bunch extra as well with my bags I need to check internationally.
b) The flight's on El Al which won't help me re-earn status on *A which I rely on to waive baggage fees year round on my sports-related travels.

I heard that you can be reimbursed under circumstances for flights you book yourself. Anyone ever have success with this?  Just confirming that el al also doesn't credit to anyone else really?

Thanks!

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Mazal tov!

Are you using nefesh bnefesh? I would contact them. But my understanding is you don't need to take the group flight
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
    • Israel Olympian AJ Edelman / Israel Bobsled BobTeam Edelman
  • Location: A bobsled track going 90mph, or in a plane doing 500.
  • Programs: Sleeping-on-couches (Hachnasat Orchim) Diamond
Mazal tov!

Are you using nefesh bnefesh? I would contact them. But my understanding is you don't need to take the group flight
Thanks Ergel.
I am using NBN.   I'll order my own flight and pray.

Offline GettingReady

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Hi guys,
Next month I am making Aliya officially.
Thing is:
a) I am based not in NY and the only flight in the timeframe is from JFK so i'd have to pay to get to JFK, and it'd cost me a bunch extra as well with my bags I need to check internationally.
b) The flight's on El Al which won't help me re-earn status on *A which I rely on to waive baggage fees year round on my sports-related travels.

I heard that you can be reimbursed under circumstances for flights you book yourself. Anyone ever have success with this?  Just confirming that el al also doesn't credit to anyone else really?

Thanks!

Can't answer your question but wanted to wish you the best with making Aliyah. My son and I spent a month in Jerusalem 16 years ago with a group considering Aliyah. I still remember going to Ulpan. The experience had a profound affect on me. My grandparents were Orthodox, but I wasn't raised in that culture.

Offline flugal

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Thanks Ergel.
I am using NBN.   I'll order my own flight and pray.
NBN/Jewish agency should be involved in arranging the flight for you.
I can't imagine you'll get reimbursed if you do it on your own without their prior approval.