Author Topic: Virus software  (Read 3760 times)

Offline D.S.

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Virus software
« on: August 10, 2008, 07:00:32 PM »
I recently had to have someone over because my computer was virus-ed up.  He fixed it, but he said it was harder because I use McAfee downloaded straight from the company, and his job would've been easier if there were disks for it here.  Can anyone advise me if this is really an issue, and if so what's a good but affordable company to use where I'd have the disks here?  And, would I lose my money from McAfee if they have no such thing?

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Virus software
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 09:53:36 PM »
Others here have mentioned that they use free ones like AVG and Avast. I was using AVG and got a virus (actually, a trojan) which it didn't detect. Neither did McAfee or Norton. Kaspersky did, and got rid of it, although my computer has not been the same since. I got it a couple of months ago from Fry's online free after rebate. I needed to show that I previously used a different program. I used a copy of a Norton disk, but I don't know what you would use. I could email you a copy. Such rebates are actually quite common for all anti-virus, including to just update the version of what you have, and you just have to keep your eyes open. It is worthwhile to take advantage of these rebates either way, as you get with the upgrade a free one year subscription for def updates.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline D.S.

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 11:59:41 PM »
Well, the only one I've actually had is the McAfee that I'm currently using.  So I don't know if I'm getting any rebates.  You used an old Norton to qualify for a Kaspersky's rebate?  Regardless, I'm willing to spend a little money, since I already am, anyway.  I just want a good one, though, and particularly to have the disc around!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 02:42:16 AM »
Well, the only one I've actually had is the McAfee that I'm currently using.  So I don't know if I'm getting any rebates.  You used an old Norton to qualify for a Kaspersky's rebate?  Regardless, I'm willing to spend a little money, since I already am, anyway.  I just want a good one, though, and particularly to have the disc around!

The problem is that spending money (vs. a free AV program) won't give you 100% protection against viruses. The weakest link in computer security is the user. Caution is your best friend when it comes to securing your computer.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 11:08:09 AM »
Agreed, a very common misconception by users is that the information industry works the way the rest of the world does- ie, you get what you pay for, and can solve problems by throwing money at them. With computer functionality, you don't always get what you pay for.

In the real world, that axim may be true- you pay for the engineering and manufacturing costs that go into a car or device, and the cheaper they are it means they are usually cutting corners. However in the IT world, the product is not tangible and can be easily duplicated, often having no distributions costs at all.

The end result is that its possible for people to band together and create an open source free product for the good of the computing world without looking for any personal gain, and as such their product can be superior than a corporation's who had some 9 to 5 employees who just work hard enough to get paid.

Proof of this concept is the way that huge internet servers run on freely-distributed Linux operating systems as opposed to Windows Servers, etc., and the way open-source firefox beats the pants off of IE and Safari.

Just cuz a VScan is pricey doesnt make it better. Just food for thought...

However, this is in regards only to functionality.
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 11:34:21 AM »
As Mordy said, this is only in regard to functionality. In order to keep virus defs up to date on the latest attacks you need to have people working on it and not just doing it in their free time. Yes, I did use Norton to get my rebate. To get people to switch from competitors is what they want most. I'm sure that with a little searching you can find some great rebates available right now, and definitely with a short wait. This would be for a disk shipped to you or bought in an office supply store or the like. Staples and Office Depot near Lakewood have such rebates regularly.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 12:53:23 PM »
Kaspersky Internet Security is now free after rebate at Frys.com. If you need a copy of a disk pm me.

Offline D.S.

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 03:30:36 PM »
Well, I'm not a "computer guy".  I've never even heard of Kaspersky until now.  If I was going to play it safe and only get Norton or McAfee because they're big-name brands and are probably good (even if I'll have to pay money), the would this Kaspersky be just as good?  Again, I just want a good program and I want to have the disks around in case I need my computer serviced again.  Thanks!

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 05:24:08 PM »
What you just said is exactly how Norton makes money. They pay computer manufacturers to put it on their computers and hope people continue with a subscription with them because the Norton program told them to or because they're well known. I think that if you look at the various reviews you will find that Norton and McAfee are not the highest rated. Even so, he you still prefer those, they also have similar rebates quite frequently. It shouldn't be hard to find. If you are asking whether or not Kaspersky is as good as them, I am under the impression that they are better. One chisaron though, is that it makes your computer take longer to start up since it checks every startup process. In a way that is a maala. As I wrote earlier, they detected a trojan that the others did not until WEEKS later. Although I understand that this may sometimes happen the other way too, even if it did not actually catch it they would have prevented infection by detecting virus-like behavior when it tried to attach to Windows files and would have prevented it. Hatzlocha.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 05:38:43 PM by aygart »

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 07:11:52 PM »
I was just at Office Depot's site and saw McAfee free after rebate. To get free shipping when buying online you need to add 1 more cent to bring it to fifty dollars. This may or may not be available at the store in Howell. I also don't know the possible upgrade requirements for the rebate.

Offline D.S.

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 01:09:19 AM »
OK, cool, so I should treat Kaspersky the same as Norton and McAfee, and shop from among those 3?  I can do that.  Are any other brands on the same 'madreiga'?  And, what about the different levels that each offers (I saw several different gradations of McAfee available) - is that something that should concern me?

Offline D.S.

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 01:27:57 AM »
Will I get the upgrade rebate if I am not actually upgrading my McAfee, just canceling and buying from the store the same one I had bought online because I prefer to have CD around?

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
Just got my mother a new laptop. What's the best Virus protection to get at a decent price?

Tia.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 05:21:17 PM »
On another thread, DH recommends avira.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Virus software
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 05:24:24 PM »
On another thread, DH recommends avira.

Thanks! And if I wanna go the free route? Is that enough for someone checking emails, shopping online, and checking their banks accounts sometimes?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline smurf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Virus software
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 07:21:26 PM »
Thanks! And if I wanna go the free route? Is that enough for someone checking emails, shopping online, and checking their banks accounts sometimes?
pm me or bubbles for a copy of trend micro titanium

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Virus software
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 07:34:39 PM »
pm me or bubbles for a copy of trend micro titanium

lol or kaspersky but then you would need to pay for shippinh

Offline smurf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8