Author Topic: My Yellow Bus Day Camp  (Read 5674 times)

Offline BrooklynCPA

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: My Yellow Bus Day Camp
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 10:54:43 AM »
The inspector is not anti semitic for doing his job. In any case, you seem to be the lucky one who has gotten emails and in touch with them while I have gotten nothing more than the mass text until last night after this thread was created. They say they will be issuing refunds when they are able to so I guess lets see what happens in the next few days if our money is returned before further action is taken. I have already placed my son somewhere else and at this point would just like my money back and move on from this horrific episode.

We are totally in the same boat as you. My wife has been going out of her mind keeping the kids occupied and is spending a lot on activities while they should be in camp. I totally feel for you and you are 100% right in being upset. However, this was not in Mrs. Leifers control and they have been trying everything. The person responsible is the Syrian who called the city since they were upset over a financial dispute. I also got only mass texts, calls and emails besides the one time I was able to speak to her. This could have happened to any day camp and there are always things that can be picked on by a city official official at any facility.

Regarding the inspector being antisemetic see what I wrote above.

Offline puddles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 11:19:14 AM »
I have to disagree with you. Although there are always things out of your control it is the Leifer's responsibility. You own a business you gotta take responsibility for all things, good and bad. It doesnt matter how frustrating it might be or who put you in what situation.

Offline Myls311

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 11:53:39 AM »
I have to disagree with you. Although there are always things out of your control it is the Leifer's responsibility. You own a business you gotta take responsibility for all things, good and bad. It doesnt matter how frustrating it might be or who put you in what situation.
Agreed. It is no different than any service business. We are paying for a service and regardless of the reason, it is the responsibility of the person being paid for the service

Offline BrooklynCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 12:11:09 PM »

Agreed. It is no different than any service business. We are paying for a service and regardless of the reason, it is the responsibility of the person being paid for the service

I agree with both and not saying she is not ultimately responsible. You had the full right to leave and she should reimburse you. I am sure you will get a refund knowing what type of people they are after dealing with them for 3 years. All I was saying is that as upsetting as it is we need to me menchlich and realize that it was out of her control and she is the one suffering the most.

Offline cozmohoot

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 01:35:33 PM »
Sorry I can't help you with that one. Never even heard of the place before this thread.
Impressive that you got info right away.

Offline BrooklynParent

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 12:23:53 PM »
We are totally in the same boat as you. My wife has been going out of her mind keeping the kids occupied and is spending a lot on activities while they should be in camp. I totally feel for you and you are 100% right in being upset. However, this was not in Mrs. Leifers control and they have been trying everything. The person responsible is the Syrian who called the city since they were upset over a financial dispute. I also got only mass texts, calls and emails besides the one time I was able to speak to her. This could have happened to any day camp and there are always things that can be picked on by a city official official at any facility.

Regarding the inspector being antisemetic see what I wrote above.

Why are we singling out a specific person/group as the cause? I don't think that is any better then someone being massered as you state. In fact I know someone who witnessed 2 year old children wandering the building unsupervised, some in only a diaper, and another older child sitting in a classroom alone because no one knew what bus she was supposed to go on. Granted the first day or two of camp can be disorganized, but if a parent of one of these children saw this they may conclude the camp is unfit and unsafe and in their due diligence to protect others check for permits and the safety record. I don't know who did the massering (if that even was the case), nor does it matter, maybe they should have addressed their concerns directly to the camp first, but then again the director doesn't return phone calls so who knows maybe they tried...

I'll ask you this, if you are speeding along the highway with everyone else and a cop happens to pull you over for speeding do you blame the cop for pointing his radar at you, or are you at fault for speeding? I found out that many camps around Brooklyn operate without proper permits and skirt the DOH requirements, this does not make it right and someone is bound to get caught and become the sacrificial lamb.

The bottom line is if you are operating outside the law (ex. camp with no permit) and you get caught shame on you for opening to begin with. I am sure this wasn't the original intention of the camp, but if you skirt the law you are bound to get caught and shut down. At that point the city can take three months if they wanted to, they don't owe the camp anything to have to expedite. I see the camp as 100% responsible and accountable here since they are the ones who were paid for the service. If they need to subrogate their losses with the landlord or city that is their prerogative, but to hold parents money and blame everyone else but themselves is irresponsible.

Lesson learned here, we as parents should ask to see a copy of applicable permits before paying for any camp!

Offline george

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 12:41:32 PM »
Why are we singling out a specific person/group as the cause? I don't think that is any better then someone being massered as you state. In fact I know someone who witnessed 2 year old children wandering the building unsupervised, some in only a diaper, and another older child sitting in a classroom alone because no one knew what bus she was supposed to go on. Granted the first day or two of camp can be disorganized, but if a parent of one of these children saw this they may conclude the camp is unfit and unsafe and in their due diligence to protect others check for permits and the safety record. I don't know who did the massering (if that even was the case), nor does it matter, maybe they should have addressed their concerns directly to the camp first, but then again the director doesn't return phone calls so who knows maybe they tried...

I'll ask you this, if you are speeding along the highway with everyone else and a cop happens to pull you over for speeding do you blame the cop for pointing his radar at you, or are you at fault for speeding? I found out that many camps around Brooklyn operate without proper permits and skirt the DOH requirements, this does not make it right and someone is bound to get caught and become the sacrificial lamb.

The bottom line is if you are operating outside the law (ex. camp with no permit) and you get caught shame on you for opening to begin with. I am sure this wasn't the original intention of the camp, but if you skirt the law you are bound to get caught and shut down. At that point the city can take three months if they wanted to, they don't owe the camp anything to have to expedite. I see the camp as 100% responsible and accountable here since they are the ones who were paid for the service. If they need to subrogate their losses with the landlord or city that is their prerogative, but to hold parents money and blame everyone else but themselves is irresponsible.

Lesson learned here, we as parents should ask to see a copy of applicable permits before paying for any camp!
+ a zillion
Very, very well said!

Offline cozmohoot

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 01:53:33 PM »

Long first post....
Without knowing details you have no idea who was wronged and people always like to blab and point fingers.

Offline cozmohoot

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2014, 06:29:04 PM »
What happened at the end