Topic Wiki

Trip Reports:
smart brit
Tova
@Yehuda
Yehoshua
« Last edited by Dan on August 04, 2015, 10:11:19 AM »

Author Topic: Gibraltar Master Thread  (Read 53632 times)

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
Re: Re: Spain Master Thread
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 07:52:04 PM »
I'm trying to plan a weekend trip to Gibraltar. I apologize for the inevitable repost(s) here, but it seems like anything anyone writes about Gibraltar somehow gets merged into this massive Spain thread.  >:( I'm looking exclusively for info about Gibraltar, with just as much info as is necessary on Spain (for using Malaga as an entry/exit point), so all this stuff about Barcelona is kinda getting in the way. :P

Gotta burn some UA miles before the deval tomorrow night, so I'm thinking we'll fly via Zurich on Swiss to Malaga, and then drive 1.5 hours to Gibraltar.

Some questions:

1) Where's the best place to stay? I've noticed (rather painfully) that there are no SPG hotels (or any half-decent chain hotels, for that matter), so all my points and statuses won't help me. Where's a nice hotel?
2) How's the driving there? Am I insane to want to drive to/from Malaga? And will it cost me a fortune to park over Shabbos, or is parking free?
3) We would be landing in Malaga at 12:30 PM on Thursday and driving straight to Gibraltar, and then driving back Sunday night to catch a Monday morning flight back to Zurich. Is that enough time to experience the wonders of Gibraltar?
4) What activities/attractions are a must-do/must-see, and given the timeframe above, when would you recommend to do which things?
5) What's the deal with kosher food? I've heard that the rabbi can have you put up by locals for Shabbos meals, but what about the rest of the time - are there places to eat out? Are there places to buy kosher food/snacks, or do we need to schlep stuff from Israel?
6) Finally, anything exciting to do in/around Malaga Sunday evening, as we will be there for our return flight the next morning? Any kosher food options in Malaga? How about hotels - anything comes highly (or even semi-highly) recommended?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:55:23 PM by Moishebatchy »

Offline SamKey

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 08:07:34 PM »
I'm trying to plan a weekend trip to Gibraltar. I apologize for the inevitable repost(s) here, but it seems like anything anyone writes about Gibraltar somehow gets merged into this massive Spain thread.  >:( I'm looking exclusively for info about Gibraltar, with just as much info as is necessary on Spain (for using Malaga as an entry/exit point), so all this stuff about Barcelona is kinda getting in the way. :P

Gotta burn some UA miles before the deval tomorrow night, so I'm thinking we'll fly via Zurich on Swiss to Malaga, and then drive 1.5 hours to Gibraltar.

Some questions:

1) Where's the best place to stay? I've noticed (rather painfully) that there are no SPG hotels (or any half-decent chain hotels, for that matter), so all my points and statuses won't help me. Where's a nice hotel?
2) How's the driving there? Am I insane to want to drive to/from Malaga? And will it cost me a fortune to park over Shabbos, or is parking free?
3) We would be landing in Malaga at 12:30 PM on Thursday and driving straight to Gibraltar, and then driving back Sunday night to catch a Monday morning flight back to Zurich. Is that enough time to experience the wonders of Gibraltar?
4) What activities/attractions are a must-do/must-see, and given the timeframe above, when would you recommend to do which things?
5) What's the deal with kosher food? I've heard that the rabbi can have you put up by locals for Shabbos meals, but what about the rest of the time - are there places to eat out? Are there places to buy kosher food/snacks, or do we need to schlep stuff from Israel?
6) Finally, anything exciting to do in/around Malaga Sunday evening, as we will be there for our return flight the next morning? Any kosher food options in Malaga? How about hotels - anything comes highly (or even semi-highly) recommended?

Thanks!
1)There are no nice hotels there. When I was there in the summer there was talk about a cruise ship turning into a hotel there but don't know if that ever happened. Your best bet is staying by a family there is a very warm community and you should be able to get your own apartment there
2) Very doable, No, It is possible to park for free but keep in mind you don't want to move around in Gibraltar with a car so a train might be a better option though I do suggest spending a night in Marbella which is between Malaga and Gibraltar.
3) IMO yes
5) yes
6)yes

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 08:27:36 PM »
1)There are no nice hotels there. When I was there in the summer there was talk about a cruise ship turning into a hotel there but don't know if that ever happened. Your best bet is staying by a family there is a very warm community and you should be able to get your own apartment there
2) Very doable, No, It is possible to park for free but keep in mind you don't want to move around in Gibraltar with a car so a train might be a better option though I do suggest spending a night in Marbella which is between Malaga and Gibraltar.
3) IMO yes
5) yes
6)yes

Thanks!

1) Still would prefer a half-decent hotel...
2) There's a train from AGP to GIB?! I didn't see anything about it... And what's up with this Marbella place?
3) Thanks.
4) What happened to #4? :P
5) "Yes" to which part?
6) Can you please elaborate a bit - what is there to do/eat/stay in Malaga?

Offline SamKey

• View Profile
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 09:15:34 PM »
Thanks!

1) Still would prefer a half-decent hotel...
2) There's a train from AGP to GIB?! I didn't see anything about it... And what's up with this Marbella place?
3) Thanks.
4) What happened to #4? :P
5) "Yes" to which part?
6) Can you please elaborate a bit - what is there to do/eat/stay in Malaga?
1) the hotels are not even half decent
2) I believe there is but didn't take it to know. I wonder if vueling (bookable via Iberia 4.5k) has flights from Malaga-Gibraltar
3) you're welcome
4) don't have time right now
5) there are kosher stores and food and the while country is dutyfree
6)I will soon when I answer 4

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 09:17:21 PM »
1) the hotels are not even half decent
2) I believe there is but didn't take it to know. I wonder if vueling (bookable via Iberia 4.5k) has flights from Malaga-Gibraltar
3) you're welcome
4) don't have time right now
5) there are kosher stores and food and the while country is dutyfree
6)I will soon when I answer 4

Thanks. Eagerly awaiting your response. :)

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 07:30:10 AM »
the best place to stay is the O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, which is close to the jewish community. when i was there, the hotel was sold out due to a jewish tour group so i stayed at the Rock Hotel which is half decent.

the obvious attraction is to take the cable car to the top of the rock where the monkeys are running around (you can also say the bracha of seeing the yam hagodol since from that vantage point you can see where the Mediterranean and atlantic oceans meet) . additionally there is a cave system with stalactites worthwhile to check out.

you should try to see the many shuls which is best to do on shabbos.

we also did a dolphin watching boat tour and be on the lookout for sharks which are sometime spotted as well.

if you have an extra day to burn, i would choose between granada and the alhambra there, or a day trip to tangier, morocco which was cool.

you definitely need a car. the only other option is bus

there is a kosher market,at least in 2009 there was,  but theres a great kosher market in torremolinos on the way to gib with an extensive meat section, but you should find out if its seasonal

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 09:02:59 AM by moish »

Offline SamKey

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 08:32:51 AM »
the best place to stay is the O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, which is close to the jewish community. when i was there, the hotel was sold out due to a jewish tour group so i stayed at the Rock Hotel which is half decent.

the obvious attraction is to take the cable car to the top of the rock where the monkeys are running around (you can also say the bracha of seeing the yam hagodol since from that vantage point you can see where the Mediterranean and atlantic oceans meet) . additionally there is a cave system with stalactites worthwhile to check out.

you should try to see the many shuls which is best to do on shabbos.

we also did a dolphin watching boat tour and be on the lookout for sharks which are sometime spotted as well.

if you have an extra day to burn, i would choose between granada and the alhambra there, or a day trip to tangiers, morocco which was cool.

you definitely need a car. the only other option is bus

there is a kosher market,at least in 2009 there was,  but theres a great kosher market in torremolinos on the way to gib with an extensive meat section, but you should find out if its seasonal
I stayed at O'callaghan... It reminded me of motel 6.... you only say the beracha if you haven't seen either ocean within 30 days

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2014, 09:01:21 AM »
alor

Offline SamKey

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2014, 10:10:30 AM »
alor
don't sea( :P ) how one can disagree

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 10:38:45 AM »
Thanks, guys.

What would be the cleanest/nicest hotel, even if it's not so close to the Jewish community?

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 10:49:05 AM »
don't sea( :P ) how one can disagree
well unless you have your eyes closed the second you arrive in agp, youre bound to see an ocean at some point, so when people say that you should say the brochah from the top of the rock, according to what youre saying, it doesnt seem possible.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2014, 10:50:16 AM »
Thanks, guys.

What would be the cleanest/nicest hotel, even if it's not so close to the Jewish community?
i doubt you will find people who stayed at both. i stayed at the rock and it was clean. although i did hear that the elliot is the hotel of choice for the frum traveller

Offline SamKey

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2014, 10:55:01 AM »
well unless you have your eyes closed the second you arrive in agp, youre bound to see an ocean at some point, so when people say that you should say the brochah from the top of the rock, according to what youre saying, it doesnt seem possible.
That is what they do. The halacha is that you only make a beracha on the sea if you have not seen it in 30 days

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
That is what they do. The halacha is that you only make a beracha on the sea if you have not seen it in 30 days
that is what who does? either way its neither here nor there. let each person speak it over with his local o.r.

Offline SamKey

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2014, 10:59:32 AM »
that is what who does? either way its neither here nor there. let each person speak it over with his local o.r.
That is what a few Rabbis told me including the Rabbi in GB

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 08:41:29 AM »
What do people do for phone/data? Is there any sort of prepaid SIM that will be good for both Malaga (Spain) and Gibraltar?

Offline SamKey

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2014, 10:43:28 AM »
What do people do for phone/data? Is there any sort of prepaid SIM that will be good for both Malaga (Spain) and Gibraltar?
we had gotten a prepaid Sim in Barcelona which either at certain places in GB (I still have it if you want it) but we got charged a fortune as they charged a connecting fee (without telling us) so we were constantly running out of minutes

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2014, 11:53:05 AM »
which either at certain places in GB

Huh?!

Offline SamKey

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2014, 03:00:39 PM »

Offline SLP

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2014, 03:07:44 PM »
Was just in GIB last shabbos. We stayed in the Elliott. Although it's not really worth the money you'll pay, it's very close to the shuls and kosher places. Check their website for deals- we got a decent rate with wifi included. I did not use a sim card at all while in spain for 8 days, just relied on wifi for what's app and called using vonage app.