Poll

Why does the world consider Israel the aggressors and Palestinians the victims?

Pure ignorance. People simply don't know the true history and the facts.
4 (6.5%)
Propaganda. An agenda-driven media has pumped out anti-Israel rhetoric for decades, and people have bought into it.
8 (12.9%)
Antisemitism. Deep down, Israel-hate comes from Jew-hate, both from gentiles and self-hating Jews. They don't care what the facts are, they just hate Jews.
21 (33.9%)
Because Israel IS the aggressor. (explain)
2 (3.2%)
Israel did this to themselves. Israel brought this upon themselves by constantly apologizing for defending themselves. When you apologize to the world, it is an admission of guilt.
3 (4.8%)
All of the above except #4.
15 (24.2%)
The vast majority of the free world is NOT against Israel.
9 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Why the world sides with the Palestinians. (Poll)  (Read 6186 times)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Why the world sides with the Palestinians. (Poll)
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 12:58:04 AM »
I think most people just hear of all the Palestinian casualties and look at all the numbers and just assume Israel is the "bad guy".
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 09:29:47 AM »
I think most people just hear of all the Palestinian casualties and look at all the numbers and just assume Israel is the "bad guy".

That would be #2.

I still believe that every adult human being is responsible for their own position on Israel, regardless of what they are shown in the news, and especially in this case:

-Israel is a first world country, the 22 arab states are not
-Israel is known for it's ultra liberal stance on human rights, such as Gay rights, whereas you would be put to death for this (slowly and painfully) in any Arab state.
-Israeli Arabs have more freedom than Arabs living in any other Arab state.
-Israel produces top quality consumer goods
-Israel invents and manufactures some of the latest technologies that are used worldwide. (Including life-saving medical technologies).

Meanwhile, the Arab states invent nothing except methods of carrying out terrorism. Belt bombs, shoe bombs etc...

When the media then reports that Israel is indiscriminately killing children, anyone with 1/4 of a brain must ask "is this really true?". Is it really possible that a nation that is liberal enough to allow a gay pride parade smack in the middle of their modern capital, and a nation that cares so much about one single soldier that they would trade him for a thousand+ terrorists are the actual aggressors against a nation that hijacked planes, crashed planes into the WTC to deliberately kill civilians and blow up busses and subway cars in the UK? Can this be possible?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 09:31:49 AM »
-Israel is known for it's ultra liberal stance on human rights, such as Gay rights,
was not aware of this. more so than the US?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 09:42:48 AM »
was not aware of this. more so than the US?

Pretty much, yes.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Israel

This is not something I'm proud of. My point is to show just how liberal and free Israeli's are as compared to their neighbors...

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 09:45:34 AM »
not looking to debate the issue. just was surprised by it.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 09:46:28 AM »

That would be #2.

I still believe that every adult human being is responsible for their own position on Israel, regardless of what they are shown in the news, and especially in this case:

-Israel is a first world country, the 22 arab states are not
-Israel is known for it's ultra liberal stance on human rights, such as Gay rights, whereas you would be put to death for this (slowly and painfully) in any Arab state.
-Israeli Arabs have more freedom than Arabs living in any other Arab state.
-Israel produces top quality consumer goods
-Israel invents and manufactures some of the latest technologies that are used worldwide. (Including life-saving medical technologies).

Meanwhile, the Arab states invent nothing except methods of carrying out terrorism. Belt bombs, shoe bombs etc...

When the media then reports that Israel is indiscriminately killing children, anyone with 1/4 of a brain must ask "is this really true?". Is it really possible that a nation that is liberal enough to allow a gay pride parade smack in the middle of their modern capital, and a nation that cares so much about one single soldier that they would trade him for a thousand+ terrorists are the actual aggressors against a nation that hijacked planes, crashed planes into the WTC to deliberately kill civilians and blow up busses and subway cars in the UK? Can this be possible?

Very well Said

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 09:47:41 AM »
very small sample but the #1 answer is predictable.

Offline Menachem613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 10:10:13 AM »

Why would Eisav care to follow Halacha?

Offline clear thinker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 10:19:34 AM »
Released today. Somewhat validates the last choice in the poll.
"liberalism is a disease".....!!
these ppl just fail to see things 4 what they are time & time again!
the just cant help themselves,  they always end up the wrong side of everything!

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 10:31:39 AM »
Try changing to pre-1990 South Africa and see what you end up with.

I still believe that every adult human being is responsible for their own position on South Africa, regardless of what they are shown in the news, and especially in this case:

-South Africa is a first world country, the other Sub Saharan countries are not.
-South Africa is known for its justice system, whereas other African countries put people to death painfully and slowly without trial (switched because the LGBT movement wasn't so strong pre-1990, but SA would have been well ahead of the rest of Africa on that, too.)
-Black South Africans have more economic stability and opportunity than most blacks living in any other Sub Saharan country.
-South Africa produces top quality consumer goods
-South Africa invents and manufactures some of the latest nuclear technologies and life saving medical techniques that are used worldwide.

Meanwhile, Sub Saharan Africans invent nothing except methods of civil war, murder and corruption.

Your conclusions are (Arabs = bad) + (Jews = good) = Israel justified in doing whatever in the hizzle it wants to any Arab. Moral people can do unjust things. Dog lovers can be serial killers.  None of this has anything to do with the Israeli - Palestinian conflict, or how "the world" views it.

When people see you killing women and children indiscriminately, as a powerful, illegal occupying force, all the while claiming some sort of moral superiority (see your post), it is not so difficult to see why they support the freedom fighting Palestinian refugees.

This poll is just another portion of the echo chamber we are all part of when it comes to this issue, and it is nearly impossible to remove yourself from it and see things from an objective position.

Admittedly, even as a contrarian, I fail to see another view of the conflict outside of my "right wing extremist evil Zionist baby killer" pov. But it is still very easy to see why others wouldn't see my picture.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 10:40:42 AM »
This poll is just another portion of the echo chamber we are all part of when it comes to this issue, and it is nearly impossible to remove yourself from it and see things from an objective position.
very small sample but the #1 answer is predictable.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 10:53:53 AM »
Why would Eisav care to follow Halacha?
Halacha is that pig is traif.

The שאינו יודע לשאול pipes up: "But why would the pig care to follow halacha?"

::) !

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 11:22:24 AM »
Try changing to pre-1990 South Africa and see what you end up with.

Your conclusions are (Arabs = bad) + (Jews = good) = Israel justified in doing whatever in the hizzle it wants to any Arab. Moral people can do unjust things. Dog lovers can be serial killers.  None of this has anything to do with the Israeli - Palestinian conflict, or how "the world" views it.

When people see you killing women and children indiscriminately, as a powerful, illegal occupying force, all the while claiming some sort of moral superiority (see your post), it is not so difficult to see why they support the freedom fighting Palestinian refugees.

Admittedly, even as a contrarian, I fail to see another view of the conflict outside of my "right wing extremist evil Zionist baby killer" pov. But it is still very easy to see why others wouldn't see my picture.

Why bring up South African apartheid when you can simply bring up the pre-1960's American South?

From Wikipedia:

"From 1960 to 1983, 3.5 million non-white South Africans were removed from their homes, and forced into segregated neighbourhoods, in one of the largest mass removals in modern history.[8] Non-white political representation was abolished in 1970, and starting in that year black people were deprived of their citizenship"

• Was there a U.N. resolution passed, giving white South Africans their own state?
  • Did Israel forcefully remove Arabs from their homes and force them into Gaza?
  • Were Arabs who wished to stay deprived of their citizenship?
  • Is there no Arab representation in the Knesset?

Before bringing up Deir Yassin and the Irgun, I'll have you know that it is documented that Ben Gurion not only asked but BEGGED Arab villagers to stay in their cities. They fled anyway, due to a combination of Arab leaders telling them to leave and being afraid of the ongoing conflict, which was provoked 100% by the Arabs.

(I wonder, why didn't all the Jews flee Israel after the 1929 Hebron massacre?).

After multiple attacks on Jews in Israel, including a gruesome attack that killed over 80 doctors and nurses traveling to Hadassa hospital, Israel fought back, first against Arabs within Israel, and then 5 Arab countries that came to "drive the Jews into the sea".

Once Israel finally secured the land given to them legally by the U.N., plus lands that they captured in the course of the war (which by right of conquest, now belongs to Israel), the Arabs who stayed were given full privilege and full citizenship like any Jewish person there. As for those who ran, hoping Israel would be driven into the sea, I don't know a single country that would allow those people to come back, mainly for security reasons.

In summation, there is no fact-based backup to claim that Israel is "occupying" anything. Throwing around words like "Irgun" and "Deir Yassin" are meaningless in the face of the complete story.

I have never made any statement that "Arabs are bad and Jews are good". My statement simply pointed out that when watching this conflict on the news (heavily skewed in favor of the Palestinians), it must cross your mind that Israel might actually be the victim, considering the global terror emanating from Arab countries VS the productivity coming from Israel.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:31:57 AM by zale »

Offline avremie

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 11:45:46 AM »
Anyone who has any doubt about the unbiased reporting

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 11:49:16 AM »
Anyone who has any doubt about the unbiased reporting

+100. But here is the thing:

עיניים להם ולא יראו

Offline avremie

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2014, 12:04:36 PM »

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2014, 12:20:34 PM »
Why bring up South African apartheid when you can simply bring up the pre-1960's American South?

Because I'm South African ;-)  It also fit with your blanket generalizations over the entire Arab/Jewish world to potentially justify unrelated racism.

As for the rest of it - you're preaching to the choir. All I'm saying is to stop pretending there is no other way to view it. It is extremely easy to view this broader conflict from an occupied Palestinian perspective (albeit wrongly - IMHO).

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2014, 03:00:13 PM »

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile