Author Topic: Glacier National Park Master Thread  (Read 5668 times)

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Glacier National Park Master Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 08:48:03 PM »
Pics? What about the lions?

Oh yes. My wife saw two mountain lions on the way down from canada on Tuesday evening, near Babb. 

re pics: lol, I'm anti-pic on vacation.  I can always google image if I forget what it looked like. 

We saw a family of tourists.  The father was taking nonstop pictures on the boat with a sophisticated camera.  I don't think he saw anything not through the lens.  Meanwhile, the mother and kids were taking nonstop pictures of the same stuff, with their phones.  So they'd have their own copy, you see.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 08:49:19 PM »
LOL. I fall somewhere on the middle...
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2014, 10:18:51 AM »
LOL. I fall somewhere on the middle...
+1

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2014, 05:02:17 PM »
I'm trying to decide between Glacier Nat;l Park and Yellowston/Tetons for a summer trip. Have never been to either, can someone weigh in?
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2014, 05:05:55 PM »
Paging henche

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2014, 05:26:23 PM »
I'm trying to decide between Glacier Nat;l Park and Yellowston/Tetons for a summer trip. Have never been to either, can someone weigh in?
I haven't been to both but I would prob say Yellowstone/Tetons.
Curiosity made the cat smarter.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2014, 05:37:17 PM »
I haven't been to both but I would prob say Yellowstone/Tetons.

Ditto. I don't think Glacier offers very much over T/Y. Maybe Going to the Sun road, but not much more.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Online Traveler718

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2014, 09:01:26 PM »
I have been to both (Glacier 2x). It depends on who you're going with and what you like to do. For me the answer is Glacier, but for most people the answer is Yellowstone and Tetons, which offer more variety and more tourist amenities, and are more family friendly. If you're really into hiking and want to get away from the crowds and find unparalleled beauty, Glacier wins hands-down. Wyoming also has a Chabad if you're going to be there for Shabbos. If you have specific questions feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to answer.

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2014, 10:24:15 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. My plan is to go with my daughter, she will be five and I wonder if she can handle long hikes with Grizzlies.

Yellowstone seems more active while glacier seems more epic. Do you think glacier has more to offer us having already been to alaska?
Work is what you do between vacations.

Online Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2014, 10:31:53 PM »
Active and epic are good adjectives. Whenever I told people how much I love Glacier, they would tell me I have to go to Alaska. So I went to Alaska this past summer for 2 weeks and saw quite a bit. Personally, I still love Glacier for the fact that you are much more in the midst of the beauty and feel a part of it, as opposed to just being blown away by the grandeur and majesty of Alaska surrounding you, if that makes sense.

Part of it has to do with hiking away from the crowds and being virtually alone with the mountains, glaciers, lakes, and wildlife, something you certainly won't get at the zoo of Yellowstone, and which I didn't get in Seward, Denali, Matanuska, etc.

But going with a 5-year-old makes a big difference. She won't be able to do the best hikes in Glacier. If you did go with her, she could make it to Hidden Lake, Avalanche Lake, and possibly Grinnell Glacier (with the boat ride cutting off part of the distance) - google these for more info. Unfortunately the 16-19 mile Pitamakan-Dawson loop (with 3000+ feet of elevation gain), which is unparalleled in its beauty, will be off-limits for many years. You certainly will be blown away by Glacier and left wanting to come back for more, but for a family trip, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons might make more sense.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2014, 12:26:27 AM »
Part of it has to do with hiking away from the crowds and being virtually alone with the mountains, glaciers, lakes, and wildlife, something you certainly won't get at the zoo of Yellowstone, and which I didn't get in Seward, Denali, Matanuska, etc.

Not having been to Glacier I can't really comment on the validity of your assessment, but it does make sense. However I must take issue with the above statement.
The "zoo of Yellowstone" is one of the easiest national parks to get away from the crowds. A fact that is often repeated online is that "only 3% of Yellowstone visitors venture more than 100 yards from a road". I don't know if this is a real number (it doesn't appear to have any official source), but it is definitely more or less the situation on the ground. There are hundreds of miles of trails which are hardly used, as most people go for the low hanging fruit right off the road. In fact Yellowstone and the Tetons are both world-class hiking destinations, and I could personally attest to being "alone with the mountains, lakes, and wildlife".

And FWIW, I was the only person on the entire Matanuska glacier for hours. Even when other people showed up eventually, they were still miles away from me. I understand that that wasn't your experience, but I'm merely pointing out that it definitely is possible.

You certainly will be blown away by Glacier and left wanting to come back for more, but for a family trip, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons might make more sense.

I think this ^^^ probably sums it up best.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2014, 01:20:17 AM »
Overall there's much more to see at Yellowstone, but of all the National Parks I've been to I was wowed the most by Glacier. (FWIW I haven't been to Alaska or Banff yet.) 

It's a very tough question. do you want the variety of Yellowstone/Teton or the more epic and awe-inspiring Glacier?
It sounds like in your case Yellowstone gets the nod because of your kid, but if that wasn't an issue, I personally would probably choose Glacier.

Online Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2014, 04:13:22 PM »
Yes, Yellowstone is huge (I remember reading it's bigger than either NJ or RI?), but I don't remember any hiking trails to get away from the crowds that actually excited me, other than perhaps to avoid the crowds. All of the crowds are going there to see Old Faithful, the other geysers, the geothermal activity, waterfalls, mud pits, bison, wolves from a distance if you're lucky, etc. Sure you could just walk off on a trail, but I don't know of any trails that would actually be worth it, esp. with a 5-year-old.

Tetons definitely has more hiking, but the hike I did with my family (forgot the name, took a boat to the trailhead) was mobbed. Paintbrush Canyon looks phenomenal, but it's a 2-day backpacking loop, not for a toddler.

As I said, Glacier is amazing and superior in my opinion, but you have to decide if you'd rather scratch the surface of it (which is still amazing), or doing Yellowstone and Tetons properly, which is still amazing, and then go back to Glacier when you can see it more fully. If you do go to Glacier, there are family-friendly activities, such as boat tours and kayak rentals on a few of the lakes, whitewater rafting on a river just out of the park (don't know min. age for it), driving to the Canadian side (don't forget passport), and some nice shorter hikes, plus almost guaranteed wildlife sightings. You can't go wrong either way.

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2017, 02:12:47 AM »
Question for those here who have been to both Yellowstone and Glacier NP.
If I arrive in BZN on Sunday, how long would you say I should spend on Yellowstone, and how long on Glacier?

A few things to consider: travelling with my 2 pitzkelach so any serious hike is out of the question.
Of course we stop for turn-outs that may require say 15 min of walking etc etc. Or even somewhat longer walk for something spectacular...
But it's just gotta be practical with 2 little ones (of which one doesn't walk). We're bringing just one umbrella stroller, so not coming equipped for anything rugged.

I haven't booked my return flight yet, so I'd really appreciate any advice ASAP!

If anyone can share what they think are the main "not to miss/must see" highlights of these 2 parks taking the above considerations into account (or point to such a post), I'd be grateful as well!

So far I'm aware of the geysers and thermal features, GC of YS, and Grand Prismatic Spring - for YS.
Going...Sun Rd/Logan Pass in Glacier (there's gotta be more, no?). Any point in taking any boats there to anywhere?
Also, cross in to the Canadian park or don't bother?

TYVVVMIA!!!