Author Topic: Glacier National Park Master Thread  (Read 17428 times)

Online Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Glacier National Park Master Thread
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2014, 10:31:53 PM »
Active and epic are good adjectives. Whenever I told people how much I love Glacier, they would tell me I have to go to Alaska. So I went to Alaska this past summer for 2 weeks and saw quite a bit. Personally, I still love Glacier for the fact that you are much more in the midst of the beauty and feel a part of it, as opposed to just being blown away by the grandeur and majesty of Alaska surrounding you, if that makes sense.

Part of it has to do with hiking away from the crowds and being virtually alone with the mountains, glaciers, lakes, and wildlife, something you certainly won't get at the zoo of Yellowstone, and which I didn't get in Seward, Denali, Matanuska, etc.

But going with a 5-year-old makes a big difference. She won't be able to do the best hikes in Glacier. If you did go with her, she could make it to Hidden Lake, Avalanche Lake, and possibly Grinnell Glacier (with the boat ride cutting off part of the distance) - google these for more info. Unfortunately the 16-19 mile Pitamakan-Dawson loop (with 3000+ feet of elevation gain), which is unparalleled in its beauty, will be off-limits for many years. You certainly will be blown away by Glacier and left wanting to come back for more, but for a family trip, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons might make more sense.

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2014, 12:26:27 AM »
Part of it has to do with hiking away from the crowds and being virtually alone with the mountains, glaciers, lakes, and wildlife, something you certainly won't get at the zoo of Yellowstone, and which I didn't get in Seward, Denali, Matanuska, etc.

Not having been to Glacier I can't really comment on the validity of your assessment, but it does make sense. However I must take issue with the above statement.
The "zoo of Yellowstone" is one of the easiest national parks to get away from the crowds. A fact that is often repeated online is that "only 3% of Yellowstone visitors venture more than 100 yards from a road". I don't know if this is a real number (it doesn't appear to have any official source), but it is definitely more or less the situation on the ground. There are hundreds of miles of trails which are hardly used, as most people go for the low hanging fruit right off the road. In fact Yellowstone and the Tetons are both world-class hiking destinations, and I could personally attest to being "alone with the mountains, lakes, and wildlife".

And FWIW, I was the only person on the entire Matanuska glacier for hours. Even when other people showed up eventually, they were still miles away from me. I understand that that wasn't your experience, but I'm merely pointing out that it definitely is possible.

You certainly will be blown away by Glacier and left wanting to come back for more, but for a family trip, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons might make more sense.

I think this ^^^ probably sums it up best.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2014, 01:20:17 AM »
Overall there's much more to see at Yellowstone, but of all the National Parks I've been to I was wowed the most by Glacier. (FWIW I haven't been to Alaska or Banff yet.) 

It's a very tough question. do you want the variety of Yellowstone/Teton or the more epic and awe-inspiring Glacier?
It sounds like in your case Yellowstone gets the nod because of your kid, but if that wasn't an issue, I personally would probably choose Glacier.

Online Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2014, 04:13:22 PM »
Yes, Yellowstone is huge (I remember reading it's bigger than either NJ or RI?), but I don't remember any hiking trails to get away from the crowds that actually excited me, other than perhaps to avoid the crowds. All of the crowds are going there to see Old Faithful, the other geysers, the geothermal activity, waterfalls, mud pits, bison, wolves from a distance if you're lucky, etc. Sure you could just walk off on a trail, but I don't know of any trails that would actually be worth it, esp. with a 5-year-old.

Tetons definitely has more hiking, but the hike I did with my family (forgot the name, took a boat to the trailhead) was mobbed. Paintbrush Canyon looks phenomenal, but it's a 2-day backpacking loop, not for a toddler.

As I said, Glacier is amazing and superior in my opinion, but you have to decide if you'd rather scratch the surface of it (which is still amazing), or doing Yellowstone and Tetons properly, which is still amazing, and then go back to Glacier when you can see it more fully. If you do go to Glacier, there are family-friendly activities, such as boat tours and kayak rentals on a few of the lakes, whitewater rafting on a river just out of the park (don't know min. age for it), driving to the Canadian side (don't forget passport), and some nice shorter hikes, plus almost guaranteed wildlife sightings. You can't go wrong either way.

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2017, 02:12:47 AM »
Question for those here who have been to both Yellowstone and Glacier NP.
If I arrive in BZN on Sunday, how long would you say I should spend on Yellowstone, and how long on Glacier?

A few things to consider: travelling with my 2 pitzkelach so any serious hike is out of the question.
Of course we stop for turn-outs that may require say 15 min of walking etc etc. Or even somewhat longer walk for something spectacular...
But it's just gotta be practical with 2 little ones (of which one doesn't walk). We're bringing just one umbrella stroller, so not coming equipped for anything rugged.

I haven't booked my return flight yet, so I'd really appreciate any advice ASAP!

If anyone can share what they think are the main "not to miss/must see" highlights of these 2 parks taking the above considerations into account (or point to such a post), I'd be grateful as well!

So far I'm aware of the geysers and thermal features, GC of YS, and Grand Prismatic Spring - for YS.
Going...Sun Rd/Logan Pass in Glacier (there's gotta be more, no?). Any point in taking any boats there to anywhere?
Also, cross in to the Canadian park or don't bother?

TYVVVMIA!!!

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2017, 10:01:04 AM »
Question for those here who have been to both Yellowstone and Glacier NP.
If I arrive in BZN on Sunday, how long would you say I should spend on Yellowstone, and how long on Glacier?

A few things to consider: travelling with my 2 pitzkelach so any serious hike is out of the question.
Of course we stop for turn-outs that may require say 15 min of walking etc etc. Or even somewhat longer walk for something spectacular...
But it's just gotta be practical with 2 little ones (of which one doesn't walk). We're bringing just one umbrella stroller, so not coming equipped for anything rugged.

I haven't booked my return flight yet, so I'd really appreciate any advice ASAP!

If anyone can share what they think are the main "not to miss/must see" highlights of these 2 parks taking the above considerations into account (or point to such a post), I'd be grateful as well!

So far I'm aware of the geysers and thermal features, GC of YS, and Grand Prismatic Spring - for YS.
Going...Sun Rd/Logan Pass in Glacier (there's gotta be more, no?). Any point in taking any boats there to anywhere?
Also, cross in to the Canadian park or don't bother?

TYVVVMIA!!!
Never mind about the urgency, booked the return flight for Thursday.
So it's Sunday afternoon to Thursday afternoon.
Other questions still stand.
Any ideas still in how to properly apportion the time would be appreciated!
TIA!

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2017, 10:23:06 AM »

Yellowstone and Glacier in 4 days?? That's crazy.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2017, 10:25:37 AM »
Yellowstone and Glacier in 4 days?? That's crazy.

I'd do just one, if I had only 4 days.  If I'd never been to either-yellowstone

Offline Yammer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2017, 10:41:28 AM »
Never mind about the urgency, booked the return flight for Thursday.
Other questions still stand.
Any ideas still in how to properly apportion the time would be appreciated!
TIA!
If your going with kids and no trails you can do Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons in 4 days ( depending where your flying back from).

Take along a baby carrier.

Here are some of the big ones

1.Mamouth hot springs
2. Lamar valley ( if you have enough time
3. Hayden valley
4. Norris Hot springs
5. Old faithful

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2017, 11:25:44 AM »

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2017, 11:30:21 AM »
If your going with kids and no trails you can do Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons in 4 days ( depending where your flying back from).
Already did Teton last year. Spent a whole day around the park, was more than enough.
Unfortunately had very little time at YS; but I got a little taste, that's why I'm going back.

Take along a baby carrier.
I can barely manage the once in a while I use one in-town...

Here are some of the big ones

1.Mamouth hot springs
2. Lamar valley ( if you have enough time
3. Hayden valley
4. Norris Hot springs
5. Old faithful
Thanks

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2017, 11:42:28 AM »
Yes you can. But why would you want to spend one of your vacation days doing this: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Glacier+National+Park,+MT/Yellowstone+National+Park/@46.5756497,-114.3639084,7z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x5368901555555555:0xaf16bc2215c55dec!2m2!1d-113.7870225!2d48.7596128!1m5!1m1!1s0x5351e55555555555:0xaca8f930348fe1bb!2m2!1d-110.588455!2d44.427963
The drive in these areas is IME nice. My drive through Idaho on my way to Teton last year was so pretty and charming.
Once I'm in the area, I'm gonna take advantage. I'm not gonna debate this.
Look, I'm gonna be starting at YS. If it's so engaging that I feel I need to continue exploring there, I'll stay longer and if necessary skip Glacier- I'm not under any contract..
But I really doubt that's gonna be the case.

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2017, 11:46:54 AM »
And talking about nice drives...
I found the road into Teton NP coming from JH (and its turnouts) was nicer than in the park itself (besides maybe the hike to the lake)..

And the road from Zion to Bryce? OMG! I wanna go back!

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2017, 05:14:34 PM »
If it's so engaging that I feel I need to continue exploring there, I'll stay longer and if necessary skip Glacier- I'm not under any contract..
But I really doubt that's gonna be the case.

I agree.

Yellowstone is 3 days without trails. 

Unless you wanna do this

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2017, 05:39:28 PM »
I agree.

Yellowstone is 3 days without trails. 

Unless you wanna do this

Lol! Thank you! Ain't gonna be doing anything even like that, and TBH I wouldn't travel anywhere for that scenery ;) .

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2017, 05:41:50 PM »

and TBH I wouldn't travel anywhere for that scenery ;) .

actually you will....it's Yellowstone

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2017, 02:12:55 AM »
So you guys got me! You were totally right, in that I winded up not going at all to Glacier and instead spent all the time in Yellowstone.
Although the argument can be made to blame it on the kids (one who sometimes would get a toilet stop every ten minutes ::) ).

Real shame was that we were in the center of eclipse fever (Grand Teton, Idaho falls..) and yet we left just that weekend :( .
Was really crazy how walking into walmart in Idaho Falls I saw at least one (probably more) humongous tub of eclipse glasses for $1/pc. Not sure why I didn't buy.
Next day we came back to (among other things) buy some eclipse glasses. Lo and behold we were told that they're completely sold out. I was shocked to say the least.
The quantity of glasses in that tub was huge!
Instead paid triple the price in B&H for a quantity I didn't need. No biggie, just fascinated me.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2017, 08:29:10 AM »
So you guys got me! You were totally right, in that I winded up not going at all to Glacier and instead spent all the time in Yellowstone.
Although the argument can be made to blame it on the kids (one who sometimes would get a toilet stop every ten minutes ::) ).

Real shame was that we were in the center of eclipse fever (Grand Teton, Idaho falls..) and yet we left just that weekend :( .
Was really crazy how walking into walmart in Idaho Falls I saw at least one (probably more) humongous tub of eclipse glasses for $1/pc. Not sure why I didn't buy.
Next day we came back to (among other things) buy some eclipse glasses. Lo and behold we were told that they're completely sold out. I was shocked to say the least.
The quantity of glasses in that tub was huge!
Instead paid triple the price in B&H for a quantity I didn't need. No biggie, just fascinated me.
I'm always right

Offline Schnitzelface

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2019, 02:06:03 AM »
BUMPITY BUMP BUMP!

Thinking of going to Glacier National Park in late June/early July. Question is: is it worth it if I'm going with my 2 kids ages 4 and 9 months old? (We'd be using a baby carrier) And can anyone compare it to Rocky Mountain National Park which I might go to instead?  I heard RMNP is meh compared to the Canadian Rockies. Any input would be much appreciated!

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2021, 07:41:44 PM »
Anyone been to Going To The Sun Rd recently?
Wondering what time in the morning the entries begin being manned, so as to be able to arrive prior and avoid the timed-entry tickets in case I can't get a hold of one.