Topic Wiki

Kosher hotels

Victoria Kosher hotel in Kaprun/Zell Am See - http://www.kosherhotel-victoria.at/#!/pageHome

Alpen-Karawanserai Kosher hotel in Hinterglemm - http://kosher-hotel.at/kosher-summer-2015/

Trip Reports Alpen-Karawanserai Sam28's

« Last edited by Yoel1 on August 02, 2022, 03:12:14 PM »

Author Topic: Salzburg Austria  (Read 39607 times)

Offline sruly101

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Salzburg Austria
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 07:10:48 PM »
thats pretty far, is it not worth it to fly?
lol Yup you can fly it ;)

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 07:28:48 PM »
My dad was born in a DP camp here after the war, was always interested in checking out with the fam to see our roots.  Any remnant of Jewish life there?

Offline VacationLover

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 08:40:52 AM »
I am planning to go this summer to Zell Am See. Anyone has info about getting train and attraction passes?

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 08:53:15 AM »
I am planning to go this summer to Zell Am See. Anyone has info about getting train and attraction passes?

Happy to help navigate the German websites. OEBB (Austrian trains) will be the best way to get around to diff cities. Attraction passes will depend on what exactly you want to see and where you want to go.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 09:08:08 AM »
Happy to help navigate the German websites. OEBB (Austrian trains) will be the best way to get around to diff cities. Attraction passes will depend on what exactly you want to see and where you want to go.
You have a link or something?

Offline benjie1305

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 09:23:22 AM »
You have a link or something?

http://www.oebb.at/en/  >> Trains across Austria

http://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en >> some activities

Depends on what your interested in and want to do.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 10:47:16 AM »
http://www.oebb.at/en/  >> Trains across Austria

http://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en >> some activities

Depends on what your interested in and want to do.
Not sure yet. I booked tickets to MUC. Will drive or take a train there. I'm going with a one year old and will try to enjoy the max...

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 05:05:32 PM »
Has anyone been to Innsbruck Austria?

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 06:14:05 PM »
Has anyone been to Innsbruck Austria?
if you want to know in terms of flying therr, theres a small airport there, used by one of the  LCC's Ryan air or  easy jet

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 06:18:25 PM »
in regards to attractions etc,
1) there is a new kosher hotel opening in zell am see/kaprun.
2) theres a big lake with boats to rent, nice biking path around the lake.
3) not too far there is some mountain (forgot the name)really high up that usually has snow on top and they git sleds up there, takes 3 cable cars to get to the top.

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 07:39:01 PM »
in regards to attractions etc,
1) there is a new kosher hotel opening in zell am see/kaprun.
2) theres a big lake with boats to rent, nice biking path around the lake.
3) not too far there is some mountain (forgot the name)really high up that usually has snow on top and they git sleds up there, takes 3 cable cars to get to the top.
Thank you.
I will actually be staying in that new hotel in Kaprun (Victoria) and then will drive over to Switzerland. I want to stop on the way in Innsbruck since it looks like a nice place http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g190445-Activities-Innsbruck_Tirol_Austrian_Alps.html
What would you recommend for me to do there? i have about 2-3 hours? (preferably a scenic mountain) 

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2015, 10:45:09 AM »
here is a quick TR, hope this can give you ideas:
We went for 3 days with a 2 year old

Day One
- We flew into Munich airport and rented a car (tip: if you need a car seat, make sure you book as part of the reservation. They told us we could just pick one up when we get there but they didn't end up having one and we wasted half a day driving around Munich getting one)
-Important to note: In Austria you need some type of toll sticker. You can buy these at the gas stations near the border. Also, officially you need an international driver's license to drive there (can be acquired at your local AAA office).
- On the way to our hotel near Salzburg, we went to Lake Konigsee. It's a gorgeous lake in Germany near the border of Austria. There are many things to do around there but we took a boat ride on the lake and it was great. There are different places to get off and places to walk around, etc.
-We stayed in the Schloss Fuschl Resort and Spa using spg points. It is about 25 min drive from town of Salzburg. It is a gorgeous hotel with amazing views, right on a lake and in the mountains. When we went it was cat 6, now it is a 7. There is Sheraton that is a lower category right next to it. We booked with plat account and were upgraded to junior suite.

Day Two
- First stop, Hellbrun Palace and Trick Fountains. We did the tour of the trick fountains. It's very interesting. You probably will get a bit wet, although there are ways to dodge the water if you need to. We enjoyed this a lot. I think you can take a boat or bike from the town of Salzburg to get here as a way to add to the trip.
-Second stop, Untersberg Cable Car. Amazing, amazing views. There is a small trek at the top to get to the peak. It's not a difficult walk but you have to hold on to your kids. Paragliders take off from here, so you can either go or watch them.
-Third stop, the town of Salzburg. Quaint town to walk around. There are interesting shops and it is the birthplace of Mozart, so you can go to his house and there are museums and opera houses, etc. We just walked around and ate supper next to the river. It was nice and relaxing.

Day Three
-We enjoyed the hotel's many ammenities - beautiful pool and spa and they have boats that you can rent and go out on the lake. The weather was excellent and we really enjoyed this.
-Drove back to Munich, ate supper at Einstein. Sort of Israeli style, food pretty good. It's in the building with the Jewish center and security is tight.
-Stayed in Munich airport hotel and flew back the next morning.

The trip was a year ago, so this is just what I remember off-hand. If you have any other questions, please ask. Also, Lonely Planet's Austria book was amazing - there is a lot to do in the area if you are willing to drive a bit. There are ice caves (not doable with little kids), lookouts, Swarovski headquarters, etc. Always remember  - GIYF  :D
Hi Ari, looks like i am following your itinerary, Also flying to MUC then driving to Austria.
Here are some questions.
1) Which car rental did you use?
2) How do i get an international license? I have to actually go down to AAA office?
3) Can you advise about any other citys around like Kaprun or Innsbruck?
Thanks in advance!!

ETA i just called Sixt (where i booked my car) they said a US license is enough. do you by any chance only have an Israeli license?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 11:03:22 AM by VacationLover »

Offline ari9

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2015, 02:52:45 PM »
Hi Ari, looks like i am following your itinerary, Also flying to MUC then driving to Austria.
Here are some questions.
1) Which car rental did you use?
2) How do i get an international license? I have to actually go down to AAA office?
3) Can you advise about any other citys around like Kaprun or Innsbruck?
Thanks in advance!!

ETA i just called Sixt (where i booked my car) they said a US license is enough. do you by any chance only have an Israeli license?

1)rented from Budget/Avis in MUC
2)we were in Israel at the time and sent someone to the AAA office for us to get the international license. I think someone has to actually go down there to get it, but it doesnt have to be you as long as you send the proper paperwork.
3)besides for Munich and Salzburg, the only other place we went to was Lake Konigsee (near the border of Germany and Austria - on the way from Munich to Salzburg).

Let me know if you have any other questions - it was one of our most enjoyable trips!!

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2015, 03:05:50 PM »
1)rented from Budget/Avis in MUC
2)we were in Israel at the time and sent someone to the AAA office for us to get the international license. I think someone has to actually go down there to get it, but it doesnt have to be you as long as you send the proper paperwork.
3)besides for Munich and Salzburg, the only other place we went to was Lake Konigsee (near the border of Germany and Austria - on the way from Munich to Salzburg).

Let me know if you have any other questions - it was one of our most enjoyable trips!!
Did you have at that time a US drivers license?

Thanks for info about the lake, will try to stop there on the way even though it is a bit out since we are aiming for Zell Am See.

Offline ari9

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2015, 03:19:17 PM »
Did you have at that time a US drivers license?

Thanks for info about the lake, will try to stop there on the way even though it is a bit out since we are aiming for Zell Am See.
Yes, I had a US license at the time. Maybe the laws changed? I don't think anyone will actually stop you and ask for it - if the car rental place said you don't need it, maybe you don't (although DROPR, as you can see what happened with me with the carseat). Did you ask them if that applies in Austria as well (because you will be taking the car to a different country)?

There were many things to do around Konigsee - you can google it. We came late in the day because of our carseat fiasco and we were traveling with a toddler so that limited us. We didn't go to Zell Am See so I can't compare to Konigsee, but it looks nice too.

Where are you planning to stay?

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2015, 07:04:02 PM »
Hallstatt is nearby for a day trip.
What to do there?
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2015, 07:23:26 PM »
http://tripadvisor.com/6899058?m=19905
This is getting to me.. I already have 7 places to go which are breathtaking views, so here you give me a 8th place? Thanks you so much. Sky121 said that I can do Hallstatt for a day trip. BREATHTAKING VIEWS ARE NOT DAY TRIPS FOR ME. They are the purpose of my trip, but not to do it all day long.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2015, 07:50:01 PM »
Hiking, boating, walking around the small towns etc
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2015, 08:42:35 PM »
This is getting to me.. I already have 7 places to go which are breathtaking views, so here you give me a 8th place? Thanks you so much. Sky121 said that I can do Hallstatt for a day trip. BREATHTAKING VIEWS ARE NOT DAY TRIPS FOR ME. They are the purpose of my trip, but not to do it all day long.
that was only the first thing that came up on TA. I meant to insert a link to TA so you can see attractions in that area. And here is a ninth place: Livigno Italy  :P