Topic Wiki

Kosher hotels

Victoria Kosher hotel in Kaprun/Zell Am See - http://www.kosherhotel-victoria.at/#!/pageHome

Alpen-Karawanserai Kosher hotel in Hinterglemm - http://kosher-hotel.at/kosher-summer-2015/

Trip Reports Alpen-Karawanserai Sam28's

« Last edited by Yoel1 on August 02, 2022, 03:12:14 PM »

Author Topic: Salzburg Austria  (Read 39625 times)

Offline sammy n

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Salzburg Austria
« on: August 10, 2014, 02:45:50 PM »
I searched for a thread on Salzburg but couldn't find one. Hope there isn't one already....

Anyway I'm going tomorrow to Salzburg for 2 days and was looking for any tips or ideas on what's a "must" to do there?
TIA

Offline sruly101

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Salzburg Austria
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 02:51:53 PM »
I searched for a thread on Salzburg but couldn't find one. Hope there isn't one already....

Anyway I'm going tomorrow to Salzburg for 2 days and was looking for any tips or ideas on what's a "must" to do there?
TIA
Are you going to salzburg city are a village in salzburg like Hinterglem et"c?

Offline sammy n

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 03:36:41 PM »

Are you going to salzburg city are a village in salzburg like Hinterglem et"c?
Not sure we're I'm going yet... That's what I'm asking...

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 04:04:35 PM »
what are your interests?

Offline A European

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 04:08:37 PM »
Oh wow going tomorrow with no plans!

If you are going to the city Salzburg there are the salt mountain and some water park as far as I remember (I was there at least 12 years ago as a kid)

Also you could go to Munich in germany it is very close by.

If you are going to Salzburg the State  (Bundesland) so depense were you are going....

(It is like NY (just a bit smaller ;) ) the city is in the state)

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 04:18:05 PM »
Hallstatt is nearby for a day trip.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline harrym

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 04:37:33 PM »
Salzburg festival in the summer.

Offline ari9

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 04:47:26 PM »
here is a quick TR, hope this can give you ideas:
We went for 3 days with a 2 year old

Day One
- We flew into Munich airport and rented a car (tip: if you need a car seat, make sure you book as part of the reservation. They told us we could just pick one up when we get there but they didn't end up having one and we wasted half a day driving around Munich getting one)
-Important to note: In Austria you need some type of toll sticker. You can buy these at the gas stations near the border. Also, officially you need an international driver's license to drive there (can be acquired at your local AAA office).
- On the way to our hotel near Salzburg, we went to Lake Konigsee. It's a gorgeous lake in Germany near the border of Austria. There are many things to do around there but we took a boat ride on the lake and it was great. There are different places to get off and places to walk around, etc.
-We stayed in the Schloss Fuschl Resort and Spa using spg points. It is about 25 min drive from town of Salzburg. It is a gorgeous hotel with amazing views, right on a lake and in the mountains. When we went it was cat 6, now it is a 7. There is Sheraton that is a lower category right next to it. We booked with plat account and were upgraded to junior suite.

Day Two
- First stop, Hellbrun Palace and Trick Fountains. We did the tour of the trick fountains. It's very interesting. You probably will get a bit wet, although there are ways to dodge the water if you need to. We enjoyed this a lot. I think you can take a boat or bike from the town of Salzburg to get here as a way to add to the trip.
-Second stop, Untersberg Cable Car. Amazing, amazing views. There is a small trek at the top to get to the peak. It's not a difficult walk but you have to hold on to your kids. Paragliders take off from here, so you can either go or watch them.
-Third stop, the town of Salzburg. Quaint town to walk around. There are interesting shops and it is the birthplace of Mozart, so you can go to his house and there are museums and opera houses, etc. We just walked around and ate supper next to the river. It was nice and relaxing.

Day Three
-We enjoyed the hotel's many ammenities - beautiful pool and spa and they have boats that you can rent and go out on the lake. The weather was excellent and we really enjoyed this.
-Drove back to Munich, ate supper at Einstein. Sort of Israeli style, food pretty good. It's in the building with the Jewish center and security is tight.
-Stayed in Munich airport hotel and flew back the next morning.

The trip was a year ago, so this is just what I remember off-hand. If you have any other questions, please ask. Also, Lonely Planet's Austria book was amazing - there is a lot to do in the area if you are willing to drive a bit. There are ice caves (not doable with little kids), lookouts, Swarovski headquarters, etc. Always remember  - GIYF  :D

Offline ari9

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 04:48:26 PM »
I would like to post pics but can't figure out how to embed from pics that are saved on my computer..?

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 04:56:03 PM »
I would like to post pics but can't figure out how to embed from pics that are saved on my computer..?
Upload them to a third party image hosting site (e.g. imgur.com or photobucket.com) and then embed the link in your post.

Offline sammy n

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 05:36:20 PM »

here is a quick TR, hope this can give you ideas:
We went for 3 days with a 2 year old

Day One
- We flew into Munich airport and rented a car (tip: if you need a car seat, make sure you book as part of the reservation. They told us we could just pick one up when we get there but they didn't end up having one and we wasted half a day driving around Munich getting one)
-Important to note: In Austria you need some type of toll sticker. You can buy these at the gas stations near the border. Also, officially you need an international driver's license to drive there (can be acquired at your local AAA office).
- On the way to our hotel near Salzburg, we went to Lake Konigsee. It's a gorgeous lake in Germany near the border of Austria. There are many things to do around there but we took a boat ride on the lake and it was great. There are different places to get off and places to walk around, etc.
-We stayed in the Schloss Fuschl Resort and Spa using spg points. It is about 25 min drive from town of Salzburg. It is a gorgeous hotel with amazing views, right on a lake and in the mountains. When we went it was cat 6, now it is a 7. There is Sheraton that is a lower category right next to it. We booked with plat account and were upgraded to junior suite.

Day Two
- First stop, Hellbrun Palace and Trick Fountains. We did the tour of the trick fountains. It's very interesting. You probably will get a bit wet, although there are ways to dodge the water if you need to. We enjoyed this a lot. I think you can take a boat or bike from the town of Salzburg to get here as a way to add to the trip.
-Second stop, Untersberg Cable Car. Amazing, amazing views. There is a small trek at the top to get to the peak. It's not a difficult walk but you have to hold on to your kids. Paragliders take off from here, so you can either go or watch them.
-Third stop, the town of Salzburg. Quaint town to walk around. There are interesting shops and it is the birthplace of Mozart, so you can go to his house and there are museums and opera houses, etc. We just walked around and ate supper next to the river. It was nice and relaxing.

Day Three
-We enjoyed the hotel's many ammenities - beautiful pool and spa and they have boats that you can rent and go out on the lake. The weather was excellent and we really enjoyed this.
-Drove back to Munich, ate supper at Einstein. Sort of Israeli style, food pretty good. It's in the building with the Jewish center and security is tight.
-Stayed in Munich airport hotel and flew back the next morning.

The trip was a year ago, so this is just what I remember off-hand. If you have any other questions, please ask. Also, Lonely Planet's Austria book was amazing - there is a lot to do in the area if you are willing to drive a bit. There are ice caves (not doable with little kids), lookouts, Swarovski headquarters, etc. Always remember  - GIYF  :D
Thank you very much looks very good! I'll let you know what I end up doing out of all that you wrote...

Offline ari9

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 05:56:55 PM »
Thank you very much looks very good! I'll let you know what I end up doing out of all that you wrote...
If you can get your hands on the lonely planet book you'll be much better off!
pics to come

Offline ari9

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 06:14:34 PM »
Konigsee

Mincha minyan after the boat ride on Konigsee

Junior Suite at Schloss-Fuschl Resort & Spa

View of the lake from the patio outside the room

Trick fountains

grounds around the palace/fountains

Paragliders taking off from Untersberg

Old Town of Salzburg

Hotel Goldner-Hirsch, another hotel from SPG Luxury collection. This one is right in the town itself and supposedly many celebrities stay here. We went to have a look around and it seems more old-style - we were glad we spent our points on the one a little further out.

The river that runs through Salzburg. Great place to eat cold cuts sandwiches  ;)

Pedestrian bridge over the river. If you look closely, you can see little locks on the bridge. Similar to Ponte dell'Accademia in Venice, people attach padlocks to show that their love is forever.

Fishery next to the lake at Schloss-Fuschl Resort. They catch the fish, smoke them (shown here), and serve in the restaurant.

Renting a boat from the hotel

View of the hotel from the lake

Hotel pool

Outside the hotel

Einstein restaurant

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 10:52:39 PM »
nice pictures

Offline ari9

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 11:16:41 PM »
Upload them to a third party image hosting site (e.g. imgur.com or photobucket.com) and then embed the link in your post.
Thanks, done.
The pictures in the post are pretty big. How do you get them to be smaller and then clickable for full-size?

Offline ari9

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 11:17:24 PM »
nice pictures
Thanks!
Taken with a p&s  :)

Offline sammy n

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 01:42:53 AM »

Thanks, done.
The pictures in the post are pretty big. How do you get them to be smaller and then clickable for full-size?
Thank you again! The pics look great!

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 06:33:20 AM »
theres a kosher hotel now in hinterglemm not to far from salzburg they have a small shop you can buy some bread and basics

Offline sruly101

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 08:57:52 AM »
If u go to the city there is a salt mine, I think it's a 30 hour drive (as far I remember) it was very nice!
I stayed in the city at the Ramada/ cash, it was decent

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 04:29:42 PM »
If u go to the city there is a salt mine, I think it's a 30 hour drive (as far I remember) it was very nice!
I stayed in the city at the Ramada/ cash, it was decent
thats pretty far, is it not worth it to fly?