Poll

Is there a Shidduch Crisis?

Yes
No
Inconclusive

Author Topic: Shlomo Yehuda Rechnitz Article  (Read 68184 times)

Offline Ygold

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Shlomo Yehuda Rechnitz Article
« on: August 17, 2014, 02:16:09 PM »
Did anybody get to read his article on the shiduch crisis?
Shout out to Meshugener!

Offline MC

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Shlomo Yehuda Rechnitz Article
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 02:34:24 PM »

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 03:40:07 PM »
Those statistics from LA are kind of scary.
Checkout the follow-up article on yeshiva world

Offline brotha123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 03:52:03 PM »
The man is an amazing human being. Iv met him and have shmoozed with him ,all he wants to do is help the klal. Its very impressive.

Offline PraiseCanada

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Skymiles, Matmid, Starwood Gold, Aeroplan, RBC Visa, Hertz Gold, BA Avios
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 03:57:17 PM »
Those statistics from LA are kind of scary.
Checkout the follow-up article on yeshiva world

Articles about the "Shiduch Crisis" often catch my attention because I like to get therapeutically frustrated once in a while.

My thoughts after reading the article (just Rechnitz's part):
What another stupid half-ass solution from someone who is famously capable of ignoring the biggest reason for the crises: MONEY!

He has great ideas about boys getting married at 20 and learning gemara for 5 years, while their graphic designer and speech therapist wives run the household. This works in Rechnitz's world because money is not a factor. In the "real" world, it is.  Shiduchim are all about money.

'Girls' families are literally BIDDING on boys by offering all kinds of stipends, apartments, 2 year paid vacation in Eretz Yisrael, etc. The boys enjoy the bidding wars and understandably aren't going to make their cushy life any more difficult than it has to be. Let the bidding begin, they say.

It's the money stupid!

Stop the bidding. Don't offer sons-in-law ANY suuport other than some nice wedding presents, and yes there might be a few tough years while the lazy bums currently in Yeshiva slowly learn they might need to learn the art of putting bread on the table but all good crises require drastic action.

Unfortunately I have family members stuck in this incredibly stupid self imposed "system".

Offline PraiseCanada

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Skymiles, Matmid, Starwood Gold, Aeroplan, RBC Visa, Hertz Gold, BA Avios
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 04:05:21 PM »
....and for Pete's sake, what will "supplementing the shadchanus" do?! I'll tell you what it won't; it won't help keep the shadchan objective about the Shiduch. You'll have lots of weddings of boys to older girls, but you'll also get a bunch of divorces of boys from older women.

BETTER IDEA: Offer financial incentive directly to the couple!

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 04:14:18 PM »
shame on you for the way you speak

Offline emak

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 04:14:29 PM »
while the lazy bums currently in Yeshiva slowly learn they might need to learn the art of putting bread on the table but all good crises require drastic action.

Unfortunately I have family members stuck in this incredibly stupid self imposed "system".

Wow. A genuine kollel-hater on DDF. I'm sorry you have family-members who are "Bench-Warming". Just wish they could go out and work like the rest of society. Or better yet, they should join the army! Unbelievable.  ::)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 04:16:55 PM »
Anyone read Y Rosenblum's self righteous column in the Yated last week?

To paraphrase R K khron..

"Rav shachs heter for (the freezer) boys to sit and learn torah בטהרה was only for those who "were like Ben azai" Rav shach said this to mean " א בחור ואס גייט שהלאפין מיט  א קאשה, און ואקט אוף מיט אתרץ"
 Otherwise the are כל ימיהם בהרהור עבירה"
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:23:46 PM by churnbabychurn »

Offline AnonymousUser

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 04:27:38 PM »
Anyone read Y Rosenblum's self righteous column in the Yated last week?

To paraphrase R K khron..

"Rav shachs heter for (the freezer) boys to sit and learn torah בטהרה was only for those who "were like Ben azai" Rav shach said this to mean " א בחור ואס גייט שהלאפין מיט  א קאשה, און ואקט אוף מיט אתרץ"
 Otherwise the are כל ימיהם בהרהור עבירה"
The freezer is 3.5 months. Do you think that makes such a difference?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 04:30:07 PM »
The freezer is 3.5 months. Do you think that makes such a difference?
Yes. It comes out to be more, its a culture of "I'll listen after the freezer"..

Besides, the policy itself is totally wrong according to RKK... And the same rav shach applies to anyone pushing off marriage for learning.

Offline yitzf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 04:33:17 PM »
Articles about the "Shiduch Crisis" often catch my attention because I like to get therapeutically frustrated once in a while.

What another stupid half-ass solution from someone who is famously capable of ignoring the biggest reason for the crises: MONEY!

For someone like him who believes that the issue is the age gap then your whole money issue is only because of supply and demand. Because the supply of boys is limited, and the demand is greater than the supply , there will of course be all sorts of bidding wars. But if he were to close the age gap and even create an equilibrium with an even amount of boys and girls, there will be some boy without a shidduch willing to marry your relatives who don't want to support.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 04:33:48 PM »

He has great ideas about boys getting married at 20 and learning gemara for 5 years, while their graphic designer and speech therapist wives run the household. This works in Rechnitz's world because money is not a factor. In the "real" world, it is.  Shiduchim are all about money.

'Girls' families are literally BIDDING on boys by offering all kinds of stipends, apartments, 2 year paid vacation in Eretz Yisrael, etc. The boys enjoy the bidding wars and understandably aren't going to make their cushy life any more difficult than it has to be. Let the bidding begin, they say.

It's the money stupid!

Stop the bidding. Don't offer sons-in-law ANY suuport other than some nice wedding presents, and yes there might be a few tough years while the lazy bums currently in Yeshiva slowly learn they might need to learn the art of putting bread on the table but all good crises require drastic action.

Ummm... The crisis doesn't exist in cultures where the girls' family doesn't offer anything to the couple? ???

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 04:37:06 PM »
Yes. It comes out to be more, its a culture of "I'll listen after the freezer"..

Besides, the policy itself is totally wrong according to RKK... And the same rav shach applies to anyone pushing off marriage for learning.
I haven't taken a formal poll, but I went on my first date less than 2 weeks after the freezer opened, and IIRC, most of my friends did similarly. Unless other groups are different.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 04:46:01 PM »
I haven't taken a formal poll, but I went on my first date less than 2 weeks after the freezer opened, and IIRC, most of my friends did similarly. Unless other groups are different.
regardless
 Rosenblum's argument was "how dare anyone suggest that boys not learn, sans wife, until 24. This is al pi gedolim".

He is totally wrong! for any bochur that is not totally 'arain geton', virtually all godolei Yisroel agree that he should marry ASAP. This is at least 50% of 20+ bochurim. They are learning but would be better off married..

Offline PraiseCanada

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 04:47:59 PM »
Wow. A genuine kollel-hater on DDF. I'm sorry you have family-members who are "Bench-Warming". Just wish they could go out and work like the rest of society. Or better yet, they should join the army! Unbelievable.  ::)

I'm a Kollel-hater because I'm pointing out the obvious, namely that there are many in our society living off the rest of us while not being very productive in Kollel?

Being in Kollel is a business deal. You provide Torah and learning, and someone will work to provide for your physical needs. In most Kollels, there is a smokescreen between the Zevuluns and Yisaschars. Far too often, Zevuluns are not getting their money's worth.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 04:52:34 PM »
I'm a Kollel-hater because I'm pointing out the obvious, namely that there are many in our society living off the rest of us while not being very productive in Kollel?

Being in Kollel is a business deal. You provide Torah and learning, and someone will work to provide for your physical needs. In most Kollels, there is a smokescreen between the Zevuluns and Yisaschars. Far too often, Zevuluns are not getting their money's worth.
You don't like the investment, stay out! Your loss. But to disparage people who dedicate years to learning is a horrible crime. Your attitude is possibly the reason why good, frum, Torah respecting families are staying far away...

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 04:54:31 PM »
Can someone please explain to the rest of us what freezers have to do with it?

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 04:56:19 PM »
regardless
 Rosenblum's argument was "how dare anyone suggest that boys not learn, sans wife, until 24. This is al pi gedolim".

He is totally wrong! for any bochur that is not totally 'arain geton', virtually all godolei Yisroel agree that he should marry ASAP. This is at least 50% of 20+ bochurim. They are learning but would be better off married..
Again, I'm not sure which demographic, or gedolim, you're referring to. I never heard anything from any of my roshei yeshiva about getting married earlier. Additionally, when I think about how much I gained between the ages of 20 and 24, I shudder to think what would be with me if I had gotten married earlier. And I am not a "best bochur", otherwise I doubt I would be here.

Offline PraiseCanada

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 04:57:14 PM »
You don't like the investment, stay out! Your loss. But to disparage people who dedicate years to learning is a horrible crime.

Trust me, I do. Much the same way I stay away from large commission-based brokerage in favor of small personal firms, I buy my Olam Haba from a trusted sincere friend.

Your attitude is possibly the reason why good, frum, Torah respecting families are staying far away...
staying far away from what?