Poll

Is there a Shidduch Crisis?

Yes
No
Inconclusive

Author Topic: Shlomo Yehuda Rechnitz Article  (Read 68222 times)

Offline voldemort

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Shlomo Yehuda Rechnitz Article
« Reply #380 on: October 23, 2014, 08:30:24 PM »
you voting for warren buffet based on his financial status means you value money to the extent that it was a factor in the decision...no?

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 23, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »
you voting for warren buffet based on his financial status means you value money to the extent that it was a factor in the decision...no?

I'll be clearer.

Background: I want you to do something.  I call and ask if I can come over and try to persuade you. You say you have no time to speak to me.

Scenario one: I tell you I am very rich and i will give you 1 million dollars if you agree to do what I want. You agree.

Scenario two: I tell you I am very rich and I will give you 1 million dollars if you let me come talk to you. You agree. I come and talk, and you are persuaded on the merits.

Aren't those very different? Sure, a cynical view of scenario two is that the money was really behind the decision to act also, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Offline yoruel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 23, 2014, 08:42:59 PM »
Can someone explain how this helps things? I'm lost
I went to Israel after 21. Came off airplane almost 2 years later.  There are a few yeshivas that you stay until past 21. Either bochrim stay less time in Israel, or leave america earlier.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 23, 2014, 08:50:53 PM »
I went to Israel after 21. Came off airplane almost 2 years later.  There are a few yeshivas that you stay until past 21. Either bochrim stay less time in Israel, or leave america earlier.
or don't go to Israel at all

Offline voldemort

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 23, 2014, 09:06:41 PM »
I'll be clearer.

Background: I want you to do something.  I call and ask if I can come over and try to persuade you. You say you have no time to speak to me.

Scenario one: I tell you I am very rich and i will give you 1 million dollars if you agree to do what I want. You agree.

Scenario two: I tell you I am very rich and I will give you 1 million dollars if you let me come talk to you. You agree. I come and talk, and you are persuaded on the merits.

Aren't those very different? Sure, a cynical view of scenario two is that the money was really behind the decision to act also, but it doesn't have to be that way.
i think letting money influence even the decision of whom to budget time for is wrong.
i agree that the rich person may be convincing you solely based upon the proposals merits.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 23, 2014, 09:14:08 PM »
The great lipa said der vos hut de meiah hut de deah

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 23, 2014, 09:16:42 PM »
The great lipa said der vos hut de meiah hut de deah
I heard it many years ago from an old Russian worker in my yeshiva. & he made sure to say it every time someone walked by him.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 23, 2014, 09:17:18 PM »
i think letting money influence even the decision of whom to budget time for is wrong.

I dunno. One of the jobs of the roshei yeshiva is to raise money. It usually takes much longer than a couple hours to raise a million bucks. Usually takes years of cultivating a relationship.

Offline reed

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 24, 2014, 10:30:56 AM »
The hypocrisy of main stream New York type yeshivas and the frum "black hat - quasi yeshiva world" is amazing. From grades 1 - bais medrash all they teach the kids is that being a rosh yeshivah is the ultimate goal, and mothers cry Friday night that Thier children be talmidie chachomim who sit and learn in kollel become a rebbe and rosh yeshivah. Mean while the amount of kovod they bestow upon the gvir is mind blowing. Now I understand they need funds to run Thier schools, but at least teach what you practice. Children learn by example not some empty rhetoric taught by a young straight out of lakewood with no real life expericance.

Offline reed

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 24, 2014, 10:34:49 AM »
I mean how the heck do they know what mothers cry for on Friday night. Did they take a survey?

If I had to guess most mothers cry for their children to be happy healthy smart and erhlich. Wether they end up becoming a rosh yeshivah or a doctor or a broker for meridian I dont think it really enters their mind at tht point

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: October 24, 2014, 10:47:44 AM »

Wether they end up becoming a rosh yeshivah or a doctor or a broker for meridian I dont think it really enters their mind at tht point
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 24, 2014, 11:08:41 AM »
The hypocrisy of main stream New York type yeshivas and the frum "black hat - quasi yeshiva world" is amazing. From grades 1 - bais medrash all they teach the kids is that being a rosh yeshivah is the ultimate goal, and mothers cry Friday night that Thier children be talmidie chachomim who sit and learn in kollel become a rebbe and rosh yeshivah. Mean while the amount of kovod they bestow upon the gvir is mind blowing. Now I understand they need funds to run Thier schools, but at least teach what you practice. Children learn by example not some empty rhetoric taught by a young straight out of lakewood with no real life expericance.
Roshei yeshiva get much more kovod. You can't compare.

Offline reed

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 24, 2014, 02:20:20 PM »
Roshei yeshiva get much more kovod. You can't compare.

Anyone and everyone is a rosh yeshivah today. Rent a room in lakewood, take in 6 guys that couldnt get into a real bais medrash and wallah ROSH YESHIVA MARUINU etc. Or do the dating yeshivah same steps as above but this time you make sure  you have lots of parking spots for the brand new accords and camrys. Get 5 guys from the mir, that will show up between 1030 and 12 a few times a week, and WALLAH - ROSH YESHIVA.

The other route is be the money guy - and be the cool with it rosh yeshivah - Give yourself a title of Rosh HaYehsivah by a fancy house and a fancy car, hire a quiet guy who can learn for the Learning duties of the position.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #393 on: October 24, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »
What happened to the bitter persons thread?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 24, 2014, 03:17:50 PM »
+:)

Offline reed

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 24, 2014, 03:25:03 PM »

lol MASKIM. Not bitter more a mixture of boredom, cynicism and sarcasm.

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 24, 2014, 04:24:09 PM »

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 24, 2014, 04:27:30 PM »
It mentions: 2. We have hired five shadchanim to deal exclusively with girls age 23 and over. These shadchanim will work together in one office in Lakewood, putting in full working hours, at a minimum. The mandate of this group is not just to redt a shidduch when something happens to pop into their head. They are to actively create a database of all the older single girls, including their profiles. As I’ve explained to these wonderful sheluchei mitzvah, the majority of their time will be spent looking for boys. Young men from all walks of life: bochurim from yeshivos that span the entire country. Bachelors who didn’t necessarily learn in those yeshivos that girls imagine their husbands to have learned in. There are boys out there.

What I don't get is that the boys all seem to be getting married. The few older boys who aren't married could have a date any night of the week with many different girls. So what is this 'hunt' for boys supposed to do? I guess if its focus is on helping older girls that's something, but in general people seem to lose track of the fact that redding more shidduchim ≠ more marriages, just reallocates who the n=boys get married to.

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 25, 2014, 11:21:17 PM »
.......and the age gap theory has still not been proven.

Wake me up when a real study is done.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 25, 2014, 11:54:55 PM »
Anyone and everyone is a rosh yeshivah today. Rent a room in lakewood, take in 6 guys that couldnt get into a real bais medrash and wallah ROSH YESHIVA MARUINU etc. Or do the dating yeshivah same steps as above but this time you make sure  you have lots of parking spots for the brand new accords and camrys. Get 5 guys from the mir, that will show up between 1030 and 12 a few times a week, and WALLAH - ROSH YESHIVA.

The other route is be the money guy - and be the cool with it rosh yeshivah - Give yourself a title of Rosh HaYehsivah by a fancy house and a fancy car, hire a quiet guy who can learn for the Learning duties of the position.
ALOL. :D
It mentions: 2. We have hired five shadchanim to deal exclusively with girls age 23 and over. These shadchanim will work together in one office in Lakewood, putting in full working hours, at a minimum. The mandate of this group is not just to redt a shidduch when something happens to pop into their head. They are to actively create a database of all the older single girls, including their profiles. As I’ve explained to these wonderful sheluchei mitzvah, the majority of their time will be spent looking for boys. Young men from all walks of life: bochurim from yeshivos that span the entire country. Bachelors who didn’t necessarily learn in those yeshivos that girls imagine their husbands to have learned in. There are boys out there.

What I don't get is that the boys all seem to be getting married. The few older boys who aren't married could have a date any night of the week with many different girls. So what is this 'hunt' for boys supposed to do? I guess if its focus is on helping older girls that's something, but in general people seem to lose track of the fact that redding more shidduchim ≠ more marriages, just reallocates who the n=boys get married to.
True, but assuming the age-gap theory is correct, this will reallocate those boys to older girls and bridge the gap.