Poll

Is there a Shidduch Crisis?

Yes
No
Inconclusive

Author Topic: Shlomo Yehuda Rechnitz Article  (Read 67499 times)

Offline shidduch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Shlomo Yehuda Rechnitz Article
« Reply #300 on: August 19, 2014, 10:41:07 AM »
I agree that a man should be attracted to a woman.  But I get many guys who are asking me for a girl that looks like {insert name of famous model} when they look like nothing special.  While you must be attracted to a woman, you must set your standard to a reasonable level.  If you weigh 500 pounds dont ask to be set up with a skinny model.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 19, 2014, 11:02:13 AM »
But I get many guys who are asking me for a girl that looks like {insert name of famous model} when they look like nothing special. 
How many famous models are married to guys that look special?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline shidduch

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 19, 2014, 11:21:20 AM »
yes, but those guys have very special wallets  :P .  Also, we should not be comparing ourselves to the umos haolam.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 19, 2014, 11:34:58 AM »
yes, but those guys have very special wallets  :P
Right, so you agree it has nothing to do with the guys looks

Also, we should not be comparing ourselves to the umos haolam.
Sigh
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline shidduch

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 19, 2014, 11:37:46 AM »
Yes, but it has to do with other characteristics like money that attract people.

I have seen guys with no money, no looks, overweight, not much prospects who are asking for girls who are way out of their league.

Offline Abet rich

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz PC, National EE
« Reply #305 on: August 19, 2014, 12:14:21 PM »
Yes, but it has to do with other characteristics like money that attract people.

I have seen guys with no money, no looks, overweight, not much prospects who are asking for girls who are way out of their league.
People try living in denial and don't recognize who they really are.
Contact me at abereich19@gmail.com for all help and info.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 19, 2014, 12:14:34 PM »
I agree that a man should be attracted to a woman.  But I get many guys who are asking me for a girl that looks like {insert name of famous model} when they look like nothing special.  While you must be attracted to a woman, you must set your standard to a reasonable level.  If you weigh 500 pounds dont ask to be set up with a skinny model.

I agree with you in that particular case, but we both know that this is not the majority, and definitely not the reason for the alleged "crisis".

Most guys want a girl who is pretty and good natured. Apparently that is too much to ask for nowadays.

Offline PutANameToIt

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 19, 2014, 12:47:58 PM »

People try living in denial and don't recognize who they really are.
Ah. So you're saying that G-d groups people into "leagues" based on the amount of mazal in looks and wealth that He grants them? I find it hard to believe that when the Malochim call out potential zivugim, HaShem turns to em and says "c'mon, she's gonna be WAY out of his league, what are you thinking?? I plan on having her born to a CEO and this guy's fathers a Rebbe! How can he possibly expect to marry her??

It's one thing to be moitzei laaz on bochur for focusing on less important (though important to an extent) attributes of a girl, but to say that he isn't "entitled" to look for certain qualities because he himself wasn't blessed with certain G-d given qualities is absurd.

Offline Baruch

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 19, 2014, 01:16:21 PM »
Ah. So you're saying that G-d groups people into "leagues" based on the amount of mazal in looks and wealth that He grants them? I find it hard to believe that when the Malochim call out potential zivugim, HaShem turns to em and says "c'mon, she's gonna be WAY out of his league, what are you thinking?? I plan on having her born to a CEO and this guy's fathers a Rebbe! How can he possibly expect to marry her??

It's one thing to be moitzei laaz on bochur for focusing on less important (though important to an extent) attributes of a girl, but to say that he isn't "entitled" to look for certain qualities because he himself wasn't blessed with certain G-d given qualities is absurd.
It's not absurd - it's practical.
It is absurd for someone with 10k in the bank, to go into a Lexus dealership to buy a car. He can sit there for 50 yrs. he will never buy a car.

Rav Pinchas Scheinberg famously told a bachur who said after a date that he found the girl attractive but he wanted a real beauty, - "You realize you're no Humphrey Bogart yourself?".

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 19, 2014, 01:41:41 PM »
Love it.   He certainly had a way with words

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #310 on: August 19, 2014, 01:48:36 PM »
I heard in the name of a Rosh Yeshiva. "before you say what your looking for, take a good long look in the mirror"

Offline Abet rich

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 19, 2014, 01:54:24 PM »

True that G-D is the master shadchan but people have to do Hishtadlus and be realistic and not bark up the wrong tree. It probably wont get you very far if you have nothing going for you and all you are looking for is the daughter of a multi-billion dollar CEO who is less than a size 2 and just drop dead gorgeous. You have to know where you are holding and broaden your playing field to people who are somewhat near your league.

Offline Abet rich

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 19, 2014, 01:55:18 PM »
I heard in the name of a Rosh Yeshiva. "before you say what your looking for, take a good long look in the mirror"
Im happy I have a Rosh Yeshiva seconding my words.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 19, 2014, 02:03:27 PM »
Ah. So you're saying that G-d groups people into "leagues"
No, he said the people group other people into leagues

Offline PutANameToIt

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 19, 2014, 03:07:50 PM »

No, he said the people group other people into leagues
Confused as to which side you're taking :-)

Offline Abet rich

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 19, 2014, 03:11:56 PM »
Confused as to which side you're taking :-)
My Side!!

Offline PutANameToIt

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Shlomo Yehuda Rechnitz Article
« Reply #316 on: August 19, 2014, 03:35:10 PM »
True that G-D is the master shadchan but people have to do Hishtadlus and be realistic and not bark up the wrong tree. It probably wont get you very far if you have nothing going for you and all you are looking for is the daughter of a multi-billion dollar CEO who is less than a size 2 and just drop dead gorgeous. You have to know where you are holding and broaden your playing field to people who are somewhat near your league.
Hishtadlus is a personal cheshbon, it can never be used on a scale larger than that. In terms of being "realistic," again, everybody has their own cheshbon, which is completely personal and can't be figured out nor judged (if ever) by someone else, let alone on a large scale. But again, the point is that there are no "leagues" when it comes to the less important qualities like looks and wealth. If people feel more entitled because they've been blessed with those qualities, that is their prerogative and takes some serious cheshbon as to whether or not they have the proper negiyus.

You're 100% correct that people must know where they are holding, but knowing where they are holding means in the important aspects in life. If they're specifically looking for wealth and looks to the exclusion of the much more important qualities in life,they are way off hashkafically. Those type of issues aren't causing girls not to get married, require their own forum to address and are rooted in much deeper issues.

However, to say that a bochur who isn't good looking and doesn't come from any particular wealth can't be looking for someone he's attracted to, and has the means to support his serious learning lifestyle isn't fair. Once he's made a real cheshbon hanefesh to decide what he's looking for, he can come to the conclusion that these are the qualities, among others, that his zivug will have.

Offline shidduch

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 19, 2014, 04:48:04 PM »
I think the idea that people should be supported in learning is part of the problem.  In the alter heim, there were very few people who learned full time with no parnassah.  In the gemara every amora had a job. 

This model of a kollel society is not sustainable and I think that is part of the underlying shidduch "crisis".

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #318 on: August 19, 2014, 04:54:02 PM »
I think the idea that people should be supported in learning is part of the problem.  In the alter heim, there were very few people who learned full time with no parnassah.  In the gemara every amora had a job. 

This model of a kollel society is not sustainable and I think that is part of the underlying shidduch "crisis".
i guess i know your opinion on the adopt-a-kollel program ;)
#TYH

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 19, 2014, 04:56:35 PM »

In the " alter heim" most of klall Yisroel were serious amei haaretz, many many kids of the d etc etc. Not good stuff at all.