Author Topic: What Award Itinerary Did You Just Book/Hold?  (Read 903614 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: What Award Itinerary Did You Just Book/Hold?
« Reply #1820 on: January 11, 2016, 08:42:23 AM »
*at this point *
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: January 11, 2016, 08:43:01 AM »
for a week, at this point, yes.

That is everyone's point here. Things can change until then but - just to be perfectly clear - that itinerary will 99.9999% not be around anymore.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1822 on: January 11, 2016, 08:43:28 AM »
Because some magic babysitter is going to come along to watch his kids for a week?

Do any of the naysayers here actually have kids?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: January 11, 2016, 08:44:57 AM »
Because some magic babysitter is going to come along to watch his kids for a week?

Do any of the naysayers here actually have kids?

Yes.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1824 on: January 11, 2016, 08:46:32 AM »
How old and who babysits your kids for a week?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: January 11, 2016, 08:48:55 AM »
+1

Also at the end of the day people will have diff criteria for who they will allow to watch their children which also makes a difference in how easy it is to find someone.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: January 11, 2016, 08:54:10 AM »

3.5 years old and 1 year old.

My MIL gives me a time period ahead of time of what time of the year works for her and she is kind enough to come for around a week (+ 2-3 days) with my housekeeper in the house.

I also take a day or 2 whenever we all go to Florida (to my in laws) and send my kids to a daycare (7am-5pm) in order to take a mini vacation and my in laws are happy to watch them for that.

Not everyone is in the same situation, but it is possible with the right planing.

Grandparents in YYZ (so would have to drop them off there first) are willing to do it when the kids are older, but not at this age.

This is -potentially- doable if you put them in a local daycare for the week where they are basically taken care of all day and it is a matter of waking up with them, dropping them off, playing a bit after daycare and putting them to bed.

If they don't want to do that, that is also perfectly acceptable. I just think that many out here don't fully look into options and possibilities. No one would ever do this for me if -for 1-2 weeks- I just left them at someones house with no game plan whatsoever.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1827 on: January 11, 2016, 09:13:54 AM »
Naysayers? All were suggesting is that it may be worth a relatively small redeposit fee for the hope the status quo changes. If he's saying that it's simply impossible things will change, that's different, but that doesn't appear to be what he's saying.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: January 11, 2016, 09:15:03 AM »
I guess that's one of the perks of living in a different country then parents/in-laws.
They have no issue watching for a week the once a year they see them

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: January 11, 2016, 09:16:17 AM »
I guess that's one of the perks of living in a different country then parents/in-laws.
They have no issue watching for a week the once a year they see them

+1. Lol.

Does't mean everyone is always capable of it though.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: January 11, 2016, 09:36:14 AM »
I have a neighbor who babysits kids for a week 10 days at a time. She charges a steep fee but if I had small kids i would use her. $125 a night is what I believe she charges.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: January 11, 2016, 09:36:55 AM »
I have a neighbor who babysits kids for a week 10 days at a time. She charges a steep fee but if I had small kids i would use her. $125 a night is what I believe she charges.

Doesn't seem terribly expensive IMHO.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline yakov116

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: January 11, 2016, 09:57:40 AM »
for a week, at this point, yes.
I have a feeling that DW does not want (feel it's right) to leave it by your MIL for a week...
Money talks...mine says goodbye!

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: January 11, 2016, 10:34:02 AM »
3.5 years old and 1 year old.

My MIL gives me a time period ahead of time of what time of the year works for her and she is kind enough to come for around a week (+ 2-3 days) with my housekeeper in the house.

I also take a day or 2 whenever we all go to Florida (to my in laws) and send my kids to a daycare (7am-5pm) in order to take a mini vacation and my in laws are happy to watch them for that.

Not everyone is in the same situation, but it is possible with the right planing.

This is -potentially- doable if you put them in a local daycare for the week where they are basically taken care of all day and it is a matter of waking up with them, dropping them off, playing a bit after daycare and putting them to bed.

If they don't want to do that, that is also perfectly acceptable. I just think that many out here don't fully look into options and possibilities. No one would ever do this for me if -for 1-2 weeks- I just left them at someones house with no game plan whatsoever.

all good points and considered (and have even lined up playgroups; activities for them based on past visits to YYZ) MIL is actually in to the idea, but wants to do it at an age where they can "appreciate the excitement of going to grandparents for a week".

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: January 11, 2016, 10:35:28 AM »
all good points and considered (and have even lined up playgroups; activities for them based on past visits to YYZ. MIL is actually in to the idea, but wants to do it at an age where they can "appreciate the excitement of going to grandparents for a week".

Since my daughter is 1.5 years old (and CERTAINLY from age 2 and on), my daughter is ecstatic whenever we go to the in laws or when they come to visit. She knows exactly whats going on and couldn't hide her excitement if she wanted to.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: January 11, 2016, 12:10:45 PM »

Naysayers? All were suggesting is that it may be worth a relatively small redeposit fee for the hope the status quo changes.
That was our thinking for our CNX summer trip. Found good flight, and hotel options, and slowly trying to work on best babysitting options for our kid.
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: January 11, 2016, 12:15:02 PM »
That was our thinking for our CNX summer trip. Found good flight, and hotel options, and slowly trying to work on best babysitting options for our kid.

Yup. Not sure why you'd 100% foreclose a possibility of an epic vacation for $150 bucks, unless you knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was simply impossible to find coverage for your kid(s).

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: January 11, 2016, 01:14:52 PM »
Yup. Not sure why you'd 100% foreclose a possibility of an epic vacation for $150 bucks, unless you knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was simply impossible to find coverage for your kid(s).
Technically $300+ because it's for 2 pax and the QR outbound and inbound are one award and the EY return is a separate reward on hold. CMIIW, but don't think the QR outbound can be dropped and EY inbound into a single PNR unless the space is currently available to book anew.

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: January 11, 2016, 02:54:05 PM »
Now sounding like there may be a possibility, so I'm thinking to ticket tonight. Question to consider:
-Worth booking in J both ways (to keep it as a single award) rather than F  to have maximum flexibility for rescheduling later into another J or F award without having to reissue the ticket (and maybe avoid award rate increases), particularly if we try to reschedule for the more difficult to find late December time-frame?

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: January 11, 2016, 03:04:27 PM »
Technically $300+ because it's for 2 pax and the QR outbound and inbound are one award and the EY return is a separate reward on hold. CMIIW, but don't think the QR outbound can be dropped and EY inbound into a single PNR unless the space is currently available to book anew.
I had the same issue bec. I did not have enough mileage to book both tickets out of one account. It is, what it is.
Life is as good as you make it...