Author Topic: Cholent recipes  (Read 28722 times)

Offline sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Cholent recipes
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 03:56:29 PM »
I used to do that. IMO, it's a waste of time.

+1. Not sure where this comes from. Waste of energy.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 04:01:15 PM »

My guess is that it comes from the idea of searing  meat prior to  braising it.

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 04:08:33 PM »
I used to do that. IMO, it's a waste of time.
the onions stay pretty raw if not. i have tried both ways and found that frying it before guarantees really soft and cooked onions, especially if you will sear the meat. which searing makes sure the meat stays soft
#TYH

Offline MoGro17

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 04:14:28 PM »
(in no particular order)

1) Fresh garlic chopped in large pieces. The frozen cubes, any variation of garlic in spice form and even fresh garlic when its diced real small are a problem, in my opinion, because the flavor cooks off by the time your ready serve.

2) Bakenfleish [cheek meat] is far and away the best meat that I have had experience with. It gets so tender and it basically falls apart after cooking it for a few hours in a cholent. The flavor is excellent. Some people go with a pepper crusted pastrami. Personally, I'm not a fan. The pepper messes with the overall flavor and the meat gets weird after cooking overnight. YMMV.

3) Soak the beans overnight beforehand to "soak out the flatulence" as my brother says. Or leave out beans all together. Keep in mind that if you have less beans, or none at all, the water level will be higher than you'd expect. Beans absorb water.

4) Sausage. Kielbasa, to be exact, is my sausage of choice because it, unlike most sausages and hot dogs, doesn't dry out in a cholent and become a piece of rubber. The kielbasa gives the cholent better flavor and is a cool element that kids and the young at heart will enjoy.

5) Lawry's Seasoned Salt and Sweet Chili Sauce. Copious amounts of the former; 2 tablespoons of the latter. You won't be disappointed.

6) Best-kept cholent secret of the modern hippie generation: Sweet Potato. A small one chopped up. Gives the cholent good color and surprisingly good flavor. Don't take my word for it. Try it on a weekend when your alone or have a small crowd. Or, make a small cholent on Thursday night and try it then. YMMV but this idea is like Starwood points: Under-appreciated by most.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 04:27:29 PM »

(in no particular order)

1) Fresh garlic chopped in large pieces. The frozen cubes, any variation of garlic in spice form and even fresh garlic when its diced real small are a problem, in my opinion, because the flavor cooks off by the time your ready serve.

2) Bakenfleish [cheek meat] is far and away the best meat that I have had experience with. It gets so tender and it basically falls apart after cooking it for a few hours in a cholent. The flavor is excellent. Some people go with a pepper crusted pastrami. Personally, I'm not a fan. The pepper messes with the overall flavor and the meat gets weird after cooking overnight. YMMV.

3) Soak the beans overnight beforehand to "soak out the flatulence" as my brother says. Or leave out beans all together. Keep in mind that if you have less beans, or none at all, the water level will be higher than you'd expect. Beans absorb water.

4) Sausage. Kielbasa, to be exact, is my sausage of choice because it, unlike most sausages and hot dogs, doesn't dry out in a cholent and become a piece of rubber. The kielbasa gives the cholent better flavor and is a cool element that kids and the young at heart will enjoy.

5) Lawry's Seasoned Salt and Sweet Chili Sauce. Copious amounts of the former; 2 tablespoons of the latter. You won't be disappointed.

6) Best-kept cholent secret of the modern hippie generation: Sweet Potato. A small one chopped up. Gives the cholent good color and surprisingly good flavor. Don't take my word for it. Try it on a weekend when your alone or have a small crowd. Or, make a small cholent on Thursday night and try it then. YMMV but this idea is like Starwood points: Under-appreciated by most.
Can't say I agree with everything you wrote but +100000 on the Cheek meat.
I'm always afraid of adding vegis to my chulent (I don't consider potatoes and onions vegis) as chulent is NOT a stew. But maybe one week I'll try your recommendation of cutting the sweet pot really small.

Offline MoGro17

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 04:36:16 PM »
I'm always afraid of adding vegis to my chulent (I don't consider potatoes and onions vegis) as chulent is NOT a stew. But maybe one week I'll try your recommendation of cutting the sweet pot really small.
Thanks! Go for it.

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 04:37:39 PM »
(in no particular order)

+1.On the sweet potato. But I leave it whole with the skin on

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 04:39:20 PM »
What is cheek meat labeled as? I've never seen cheek meat in a Grocery Store.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 04:40:56 PM »

Cheek meat ;). Some stores don't carry it and many only have it in the freezer. Ask the butcher.

Offline jack12

• View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 04:45:02 PM »
I have had cholent made with this recipe and it was really good http://www.joyofkosher.com/recipes/family-heirloom-chulent/

Offline jack12

• View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 04:46:50 PM »
Cheek meat ;). Some stores don't carry it and many only have it in the freezer. Ask the butcher.
+1 Cheek meat is really amazing in chulent. I too have had a hard time finding it. Many stores don't carry it. I was in one supermarket today and the butcher told me that they used to have it but people weren't buying it so they stopped ordering it.

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 05:32:40 PM »
I take it you don't live in Brooklyn? Most stores carry it here.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 06:04:42 PM »
lol everyone has their own preferences and what they think makes chulent a hit. but with ketchup their are usually haters and lovers, no in between
you can call me a lover, besides for taste it does wonders for consistency

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »
+1 Cheek meat is really amazing in chulent. I too have had a hard time finding it. Many stores don't carry it. I was in one supermarket today and the butcher told me that they used to have it but people weren't buying it so they stopped ordering it.
your definitely not from BP

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 06:27:26 PM »
oil.

that's what all establishments seem to only put in
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline itsyehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 06:36:32 PM »
Bones. Gotta have bones.
I remember when a coke was a nickel, and you could buy VRs in OD.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 06:41:02 PM »

Bones. Gotta have bones.
  do you mean marich bones? Ime they made the chulent very fatty. Which isn't a bad thing but out of health concerns I stopped putting them in on weekly basis and only use them once in awhile.

Offline ah

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2014, 06:50:58 PM »
knee bones that are used for Gala (p'tcha)  thickens it up with the "gelatin"

Offline Who

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2014, 10:59:06 PM »
What's the best type of meat to use? I usually use flanken but a lot of times it gets dried out....

Offline ah

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2014, 11:02:42 PM »
if not cheek meat, you can cut up 2nd cut brisket (look for a nice marbleized one) very good
btw you are probably buying not great flanken, because a good piece shouldn't dry out