Topic Wiki

Purchases That Work For Amex Platinum Travel Credit

The Business Platinum CardŽ (OUTDATED INFO)
Welcome Offer1
As a special offer you can get Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 and an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum CardŽ from American Express within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Your application must be approved by January 25, 2017 to be eligible for this offer.

A Premium Business Card2
There are more than 40 Business Platinum CardŽ benefits, including world-class platinum service, travel benefits, rewards that can help reduce expenses and access to one-of-a-kind events.

Best Retention Offers
-Consumer Card: 50k No Spend Required, Called 7 Days before Due Date of Annual Fee
-Business Card:   

To sign up:

Consumer: http://www.dansdeals.com/go/Platinum5/
Business: http://www.dansdeals.com/go/BusinessPlat5/

« Last edited by yuneeq on January 11, 2022, 08:35:34 PM »

Author Topic: Amex Platinum Master Thread  (Read 1718098 times)

Offline kivabb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Amex Plat Questions
« Reply #180 on: February 23, 2011, 09:36:07 AM »
Okay, got the card 3 weeks ago, spent 1K before the annual fee was even assesed, got 50K and sent to Continental, requested to close account today.

Wait 30 days from today and apply again? Or 30 days from when account was open? Has anyone churned the Platinum back to back?

Offline dans fan

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2011, 04:50:32 PM »
hey dan or anyone else.  i got the amex gold card with a promo after spending 10k you get 50k membership rewards point i spent it and payed it and got the points i already transferred them. i had a $7000 refund to my cc if i had the points in my acc i know that they will reverse 7000 point now that i dont have any points, Q#1- will i get a negative balance Q#2 if i do get a negative balance how do they work it (if i dont return them on time) is it 2.5 cent per point like their points borrowing  system  Q#3 what if i close cc with a negative balance will they charge me

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2011, 05:08:55 PM »
hey dan or anyone else.  i got the amex gold card with a promo after spending 10k you get 50k membership rewards point i spent it and payed it and got the points i already transferred them. i had a $7000 refund to my cc if i had the points in my acc i know that they will reverse 7000 point now that i dont have any points, Q#1- will i get a negative balance Q#2 if i do get a negative balance how do they work it (if i dont return them on time) is it 2.5 cent per point like their points borrowing  system  Q#3 what if i close cc with a negative balance will they charge me

Q1) Not sure
Q2) If they catch it then it will probably count as borrowing, and you'll owe it after 12 months if there's still a negative points balance. In that case it'll be 2.5 cents per point.
Q3) Not a good idea. Especially if you have other Amex cards or plan on ever having other Amex cards.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline LAXtraveler

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #183 on: February 28, 2011, 06:20:44 PM »
If I'm an authorized user on someone's plat can I still apply to be a primary Plat holder or would I need to cancel my authorized user status first?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2011, 06:23:27 PM »
If I'm an authorized user on someone's plat can I still apply to be a primary Plat holder or would I need to cancel my authorized user status first?
You can still apply, you don't need to cancel the AU card.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2011, 06:24:04 PM »

You can definitely apply, no guarantee you'll get approved though.

Nice, Dan beat me by like 5 seconds. (it shows 30 seconds because I got the warning and went to read the error and his response before posting mine).
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2011, 06:56:02 PM »
Thanks.

Another question: is the general consensus that MR points should be transferred to ANA miles for redemption on Star Alliance or is CO safer to transfer to?

In this case, just to get the miles and hold them for now, not necessarily use them immediately.

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2011, 07:05:44 PM »

I know someone on this forum who is a Plat AU and just got approved himself for the card.

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2011, 07:12:29 PM »
I know someone on this forum who is a Plat AU and just got approved himself for the card.
You can definitely apply, no guarantee you'll get approved though.

Do you think my chances are less because I'm an AU?

Offline Cholentfresser

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2011, 07:14:07 PM »
not at all. being an AU is not YOU its just your name on a card.
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2011, 07:15:40 PM »
not at all. being an AU is not YOU its just your name on a card.

Except for that being an AU does count on your credit report (as I noticed today) because my usage ratio included the amount used on the primary cardholder's card.

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2011, 07:16:58 PM »
if your SSN is on it, it's dif.

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 28, 2011, 07:17:30 PM »
if your SSN is on it, it's dif.

AMEX requires your SSN in order to be approved as an AU on the Plat.

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 28, 2011, 07:19:12 PM »
that only started recently.

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 28, 2011, 07:20:52 PM »
that only started recently.

So my question still stands... does the fact that I'm an AU on a Plat and the fact that my SSN was used to get approved change my chances of approval to become a primary Plat holder?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 28, 2011, 07:24:55 PM »
Do you think my chances are less because I'm an AU?

Not at all, unless you're on an account that's delinquent or hurts your credit score for some other reason.

So my question still stands... does the fact that I'm an AU on a Plat and the fact that my SSN was used to get approved change my chances of approval to become a primary Plat holder?

Only if it raises your credit score. It's debatable whether (and by how much) it does that. I imagine there's also something internal where Amex targets offers to AUs, but they probably also check their credit.

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 28, 2011, 07:26:57 PM »
Only if it raises your credit score. It's debatable whether (and by how much) it does that. I imagine there's also something internal where Amex targets offers to AUs, but they probably also check their credit.

So you think as long as my credit was unchanged as a result of my AU application that I should be able to be approved? I don't quite understand your comment.

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 28, 2011, 07:35:28 PM »
+1

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 28, 2011, 07:35:59 PM »
So you think as long as my credit was unchanged as a result of my AU application that I should be able to be approved? I don't quite understand your comment.

You can be approved. Being an AU doesn't lower your chance of getting approved, if anything it approves your chance.

Having a platinum card on your credit report (which you do if you're an AU) might have a (slightly?) negative impact on your credit report due to utilization and the Platinum not having a credit line. If you have a good credit score then you have nothing to worry about.

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 28, 2011, 07:38:40 PM »
You can be approved. Being an AU doesn't lower your chance of getting approved, if anything it approves your chance.

Having a platinum card on your credit report (which you do if you're an AU) might have a (slightly?) negative impact on your credit report due to utilization and the Platinum not having a credit line. If you have a good credit score then you have nothing to worry about.

My credit score is very good with Equifax, but they aren't the ones that did my pull for my AU card, so I have no way of knowing my chances with the other bureaus.