Topic Wiki

Purchases That Work For Amex Platinum Travel Credit

The Business Platinum Card® (OUTDATED INFO)
Welcome Offer1
As a special offer you can get Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 and an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card® from American Express within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Your application must be approved by January 25, 2017 to be eligible for this offer.

A Premium Business Card2
There are more than 40 Business Platinum Card® benefits, including world-class platinum service, travel benefits, rewards that can help reduce expenses and access to one-of-a-kind events.

Best Retention Offers
-Consumer Card: 50k No Spend Required, Called 7 Days before Due Date of Annual Fee
-Business Card:   

To sign up:

Consumer: http://www.dansdeals.com/go/Platinum5/
Business: http://www.dansdeals.com/go/BusinessPlat5/

« Last edited by yuneeq on January 11, 2022, 08:35:34 PM »

Author Topic: Amex Platinum Master Thread  (Read 1717480 times)

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: Amex Platinum Master Thread
« Reply #6900 on: December 01, 2016, 05:15:37 PM »
Will I earn points within this period?
Yes
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline jsk173

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: December 01, 2016, 06:45:09 PM »
Common sense says that Amex would freeze the accounts long enough to ensure the Year 1 annual fee would be non-refundable. Can't blame Amex in the slightest.

Offline Moshe G

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: December 01, 2016, 06:48:51 PM »
No. No next step. Make sure your account is absolutely spotless, and don't give them any excuse to take away your points. That should your odds of keeping them over 50%.
Any downside of calling in?

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: December 01, 2016, 06:54:52 PM »
Common sense says that Amex would freeze the accounts long enough to ensure the Year 1 annual fee would be non-refundable. Can't blame Amex in the slightest.
Thank you for your contribution. Truly a classic.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: December 01, 2016, 06:56:30 PM »
LOL
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: December 01, 2016, 06:58:43 PM »
Nobody's blaming amex, we're blaming all the idiots who trumpeted this link from the rooftops as the greatest thing going since sliced bread.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: December 01, 2016, 06:58:57 PM »

You're welcome.

The leaked Amex Plat 100,000-point offer was an incredible stroke of luck for people. I don't understand why so many people insist on pushing things to the absolute hilt by hitting the minimum spend in 2 days and then immediately trying to transfer the points out. And the dumbest part is, we just went through this from May to August, so people had literally thousands of comments of warning here and elsewhere.

Offline Moshe G

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: December 01, 2016, 07:03:06 PM »
You're welcome.

The leaked Amex Plat 100,000-point offer was an incredible stroke of luck for people. I don't understand why so many people insist on pushing things to the absolute hilt by hitting the minimum spend in 2 days and then immediately trying to transfer the points out. And the dumbest part is, we just went through this from May to August, so people had literally thousands of comments of warning here and elsewhere.
Theres is nothing wrong trying to sign up for a sign up bonus that is publicly available, assuming you do not attempt any other shtick. My hunch is that if you follow the rules they'll probably end up giving the bonus. 

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: December 01, 2016, 07:05:39 PM »
Theres is nothing wrong trying to sign up for a sign up bonus that is publicly available, assuming you do not attempt any other shtick. My hunch is that if you follow the rules they'll probably end up giving the bonus.

Exactly. But instead of laying low, like a semi-normal CC customer, people are acting like crazed hogs. Hard to have any sympathy for them.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: December 01, 2016, 07:07:24 PM »
Exactly. But instead of laying low, like a semi-normal CC customer, people are acting like crazed hogs. Hard to have any sympathy for them.
You seem to know crazed hogs well.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: December 01, 2016, 08:39:18 PM »
You seem to know crazed hogs well.

I know them when I see them. It's simply not anything resembling normal CC customer behavior to apply for a card, meet a $3,000 minimum spending requirement in 2 days, and then try to use the sign-up bonus a day or two later.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: December 01, 2016, 08:41:39 PM »
I know them when I see them. It's simply not anything resembling normal CC customer behavior to apply for a card, meet a $3,000 minimum spending requirement in 2 days, and then try to use the sign-up bonus a day or two later.
Do you realize that these freezes are on existing points balances, nothing to do wth points earned from the new card?
JTZ

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: December 01, 2016, 08:46:34 PM »
Do you realize that these freezes are on existing points balances, nothing to do wth points earned from the new card?

Yes, I do, and applicants should have known it would happen, given that there were thousands of comments about it from May to August of this year.

Regardless, it's fairly obvious that at least some of these applicants are/were hoping to cash out in time to get the $450 AF refunded.

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: December 01, 2016, 08:51:40 PM »
Will I earn points within this period?
Yes, you may be unfrozen and refrozen randomly, so just try a few times a day.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: December 01, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »
Yes, I do, and applicants should have known it would happen, given that there were thousands of comments about it from May to August of this year.

Regardless, it's fairly obvious that at least some of these applicants are/were hoping to cash out in time to get the $450 AF refunded.
Yes. Anybody applying for this not knowing this would happen was stupid or clueless. The person who posted this link was the former. That doesn't mean that anyone who wants to redeem any points they've accumulated over the past decade is a crazed hog, though.
JTZ

Offline Moshe G

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6915 on: December 01, 2016, 08:58:50 PM »

What does thousands of comments have to do with fact that you sympathize with Amex for unjustly freezing existing  points. Well, unlike you I do blame Amex for doing that.

It's not that obvious , I had no intention on doing that. And nor did a lot of the folks.

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #6916 on: December 01, 2016, 08:59:12 PM »
Yes. Anybody applying for this not knowing this would happen was stupid or clueless. The person who posted this link was the former. That doesn't mean that anyone who wants to redeem any points they've accumulated over the past decade is a crazed hog, though.

You're referring to a different group of applicants than the ones I was plainly referring to.

Regardless, everywhere I saw this link posted, there were warnings that one's MR account would be frozen.

Offline Moshe G

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6917 on: December 01, 2016, 09:01:16 PM »
You're referring to a different group of applicants than the ones I was plainly referring to.

Regardless, everywhere I saw this link posted, there were warnings that one's MR account would be frozen.
There was warnings, though not everyone understood the extend of the risk.

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #6918 on: December 01, 2016, 09:03:00 PM »
What does thousands of comments have to do with fact that you sympathize with Amex for unjustly freezing existing  points. Well, unlike you I do blame Amex for doing that.

It's not that obvious , I had no intention on doing that. And nor did a lot of the folks.

Amex apparently reserves the right to freeze one's MR account during an account review. This doesn't seem unfair at all for people who applied using a leaked application link that wasn't directly available via the Amex site — i.e., people who went to Amex wouldn't have found it; the link to the offer was only on third-party sites — and wasn't supposed to be available to the public.

Offline Moshe G

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6919 on: December 01, 2016, 09:06:22 PM »
Amex apparently reserves the right to freeze one's MR account during an account review. This doesn't seem unfair at all for people who applied using a leaked application link that wasn't directly available via the Amex site — i.e., people who went to Amex wouldn't have found it; the link to the offer was only on third-party sites — and wasn't supposed to be available to the public.
A lot of links aren't the same like what you may find on their website. That Doesn't necessarily mean that they are not intended for the public for example referral sites have all the time referral links for different sign on bonuses than their website.