Topic Wiki

Purchases That Work For Amex Platinum Travel Credit

The Business Platinum CardŽ (OUTDATED INFO)
Welcome Offer1
As a special offer you can get Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 and an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum CardŽ from American Express within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Your application must be approved by January 25, 2017 to be eligible for this offer.

A Premium Business Card2
There are more than 40 Business Platinum CardŽ benefits, including world-class platinum service, travel benefits, rewards that can help reduce expenses and access to one-of-a-kind events.

Best Retention Offers
-Consumer Card: 50k No Spend Required, Called 7 Days before Due Date of Annual Fee
-Business Card:   

To sign up:

Consumer: http://www.dansdeals.com/go/Platinum5/
Business: http://www.dansdeals.com/go/BusinessPlat5/

« Last edited by yuneeq on January 11, 2022, 08:35:34 PM »

Author Topic: Amex Platinum Master Thread  (Read 1739697 times)

Offline Chaimk90

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Amex Platinum Master Thread
« Reply #7880 on: March 19, 2017, 12:29:17 AM »
Oy vey. To get the credit w/o actually buying a ticket. Sorry if I used the wrong term.
Book a REFUNDABLE ticket on JetBlue. Book extra legroom seats. Wait for the flight & Amex $200 credit to post. Then go ahead and cancel your flight. You are left with a $200 credit on your account.

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7881 on: March 19, 2017, 12:33:09 AM »
Book a REFUNDABLE ticket on JetBlue. Book extra legroom seats. Wait for the flight & Amex $200 credit to post. Then go ahead and cancel your flight. You are left with a $200 credit on your account.
Thanks for replying. You're talking about the $200 credit. I was asking about the 50% MR benefit.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #7882 on: March 19, 2017, 12:38:04 AM »
You figured that out all by yourself? Wow!
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline BP16

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7883 on: March 19, 2017, 01:43:01 AM »
Thanks for replying. You're talking about the $200 credit. I was asking about the 50% MR benefit.
So your basically asking how could I get 50% off from a store even though I don't actually buy anything!?

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7884 on: March 19, 2017, 02:22:53 AM »
Not sure if this is against forum rules.
If anyone has Turkish as their airline I'm looking to book a ~$800 at 75% OBO
 Or united ~$1600 at 75% OBO
First of all of it is against the rules. Second of all, unless that TK flight is in J, it can't be booked with the 50% rebate.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #7885 on: March 19, 2017, 02:24:26 AM »
First of all of it is against the rules. Second of all, unless that TK flight is in J, it can't be booked with the 50% rebate.
thanks removed.
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #7886 on: March 19, 2017, 04:25:03 AM »
thanks removed.
Removed! Lol

Are most First/business class tickets equal to the economy pricing after the 50% refund or a bit cheaper?
 Also by the chase hybrid points are they needed to be used by business/first to get the 50% rebate like by the amex Plat.? 
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7887 on: March 19, 2017, 04:28:24 AM »
Removed! Lol
Are most First/business class tickets equal to the economy pricing after the 50% refund or a bit cheaper?
 Also by the chase hybrid points are they needed to be used by business/first to get the 50% rebate like by the amex Plat.?
I have found in my little experience, that several of the domestic bis/first are the same as a full price economy after the 50% return. I may be misunderstanding you, but chase points are a flat 1.5 cents each regardless of what class or airline. There is no 50% back
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #7888 on: March 19, 2017, 04:30:36 AM »
I have found in my little experience, that several of the domestic bis/first are the same as a full price economy after the 50% return. I may be misunderstanding you, but chase points are a flat 1.5 cents each regardless of what class or airline. There is no 50% back
Even while using the saffire reserve? I thought that cuts you 50% off the total with a flight booked through chase? 
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #7889 on: March 19, 2017, 04:33:47 AM »
Even while using the saffire reserve? I thought that cuts you 50% off the total with a flight booked through chase?
No, it only makes your points worth 50% more. So a 1 cent point is now worth 1.5 cents. Amex makes them worth 100% more, so a 1 cent point becomes 2.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #7890 on: March 19, 2017, 04:36:47 AM »
No, it only makes your points worth 50% more. So a 1 cent point is now worth 1.5 cents. Amex makes them worth 100% more, so a 1 cent point becomes 2.
I'm a bit confused, if what your saying is true then what's the great benefit of the card? Why not use your freedom unlimited and get a value at 1.5 and then book while using the saffire preferred, are you sure you have the correct info?

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #7891 on: March 19, 2017, 04:41:06 AM »
I'm a bit confused, if what your saying is true then what's the great benefit of the card? Why not use your freedom unlimited and get a value at 1.5 and then book while using the saffire preferred, are you sure you have the correct info?
This isn't really the thread for this, but...the perk is that you get an extra half cent per point. They don't advertise their card, saying how you can transfer from another cards point system. So yes you can use the FU to earn 1.5 and spend that for 1.5 with the SP, or you can do the same but spend the same 1.5 for 2.25 with the CSR. Also keep in mind, this perk is for all travel with chase, while amex 50% is only airfare, and only select airlines in Coach.

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7892 on: March 19, 2017, 10:14:40 AM »
When you upgrade, the prorated Plat AF is usually charged on the the statement after 45 days.

1) Were you charged prorated of 450 after 45 days (Jan or Feb) of upgrade? I was charged a bunch of fees in January for the AUs but they were all removed when I removed the AUs so there was no prorated upgrade fee
2) Assuming "just charged" meaning in March, is your anniversary month in March? Yup
3) What is your average annual spend on that account? ~8k a mix of amex offers/ MS/legit

I just did an upgrade in Jan, but given the recent changes, I decided to revert to PRG before the 45 days was up. My anniversary month is August, wonder if I should have waited now. Wondering if they are making this exception due to the recent changes to entice you to keep the card and try it longer instead of making a decision like mine.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #7893 on: March 19, 2017, 10:50:27 AM »

S. A. P. P. H. I. R. E.

Sapphire.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline georgew

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7894 on: March 19, 2017, 12:19:54 PM »

S. A. P. P. H. I. R. E.

Sapphire.
ALOL Ty

Offline monoso

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7895 on: March 19, 2017, 03:49:13 PM »
Can anyone confirm that if my selected airline is United, I will still receive 50% back even if I fly Air Canada ? I was told by rep because its star alliance. If not what if its operated by air canada but united code shared?

Offline nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #7896 on: March 19, 2017, 03:50:22 PM »
Can anyone confirm that if my selected airline is United, I will still receive 50% back even if I fly Air Canada ? I was told by rep because its star alliance. If not what if its operated by air canada but united code shared?
as long as the ticket is processed by united.
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7897 on: March 19, 2017, 03:50:31 PM »
You won't get the rebate unless the flight is actually ticketed by UA.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #7898 on: March 19, 2017, 03:52:18 PM »
There's DROPR, and then there's NEROAPR (Never Ever Rely On Amex Phone Rep).
JTZ

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #7899 on: March 19, 2017, 03:52:45 PM »
Does selected airline for $200 credit, and selected airline for 50% refund need to be the same? Thanks.