Topic Wiki

Purchases That Work For Amex Platinum Travel Credit

The Business Platinum Card® (OUTDATED INFO)
Welcome Offer1
As a special offer you can get Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 and an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card® from American Express within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Your application must be approved by January 25, 2017 to be eligible for this offer.

A Premium Business Card2
There are more than 40 Business Platinum Card® benefits, including world-class platinum service, travel benefits, rewards that can help reduce expenses and access to one-of-a-kind events.

Best Retention Offers
-Consumer Card: 50k No Spend Required, Called 7 Days before Due Date of Annual Fee
-Business Card:   

To sign up:

Consumer: http://www.dansdeals.com/go/Platinum5/
Business: http://www.dansdeals.com/go/BusinessPlat5/

« Last edited by yuneeq on January 11, 2022, 08:35:34 PM »

Author Topic: Amex Platinum Master Thread  (Read 1717750 times)

Offline BP16

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Amex Platinum Master Thread
« Reply #8340 on: June 18, 2017, 11:54:48 PM »
Sorry but how can you be on the DDF but not have a browser? Even if you are using the Tap app, you have a browser installed on your phone (Safari for iphone, Chrome for android, etc)
Browser is blocked by a filter

Offline Aerial Dag

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8341 on: June 19, 2017, 12:30:57 AM »
A lot of people have their browser locked/removed.
Browser is blocked by a filter
Ah right, got it.

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #8342 on: June 19, 2017, 09:29:46 AM »
Copy/paste

For years, one of the benefits of The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN has been access to the “International Airline Program,” which got you 2-for-1 first & business class tickets.

This is a benefit a lot of people got excited about, but then ended up being disappointed over. That’s because the 2-for-1 deal only applied when booking a full fare first or business class ticket, which was almost always more than twice the cost of two discounted tickets.

In other words, being able to buy a business class class ticket between the US and Europe for $10K, and then getting the second ticket for “free” wasn’t much of a deal. I suppose there was value in this for the very small subset of the population that could buy full fare tickets for work directly, and be reimbursed for them, but most people in such a situation have to book through some sort of a travel department, which would prevent taking advantage of this.

Well, as of June 1, 2017, American Express has revamped the International Airline Program. It no longer offers a 2-for-1 deal, but instead gets you discounts on first class, business class, and premium economy tickets.

The program is now valid for travel on the following airlines:

The basic terms of the new program are as follows:

Valid for first class, business class, and premium economy tickets booked through Amex Travel, including both refundable and non-refundable tickets
Valid for the purchase of 1-8 tickets
A $39 service fee applies, which is waived for Centurion Card members
Only valid for travel originating in the US and “select Canadian gateways”
You can use the “Amex Pay With Points” benefit to book tickets through this program
To get quotes using this deal, you need to call 1-800-525-3355 if you have the Amex Personal Platinum Card, or 1-800-553-9497 if you have the Amex Business Platinum Card
Previously the program had zero value to me, given that it was only valid on full fare tickets. So I was curious to see how the new program compared. I phoned up Amex Travel and priced out a couple of itineraries — I’m really impressed.

I picked two reasonably priced, discounted tickets as examples (there are much better fares to be had, but I just wanted to have something off of which I could test this out).

For example, I found Delta business class tickets from New York to Dublin for $2,091 roundtrip. Amex Travel could book these for $1,880 through the International Airline Program. Those aren’t huge savings, but I’ll certainly take the discount off what’s already a good fare.

I’ve been wanting to try Air France first class again, and found a roundtrip ticket from Los Angeles to Barcelona for $6,097. That’s a lot of money, but for Air France first class it’s a solid deal, in my opinion. Amex Travel could book this ticket for $5,347 through the International Airline Program. Wow, that’s $750 off!

Bottom line

This new International Airline Program from Amex is a real improvement. Being able to score a discount on an already discounted first or business class ticket is awesome, especially since you can use this in conjunction with the “Pay With Points” feature. It sure seems like this will work on just about any discounted premium cabin ticket, so you can bet I’ll use this the next time I see a fare sale I want to take advantage of.

Presumably Amex has access to discounted fares and/or gets a commission on most of these bookings, and is just passing most of that on to customers.

The next time you’re booking a premium cabin ticket on one of the above airlines, be sure you give the new program a try. If you do, please report back with your findings!

(Tip of the hat to View from the Wing)
Thanx

Offline Aussie

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8343 on: June 19, 2017, 01:21:11 PM »
Hey all. Can someone please help me with the $200 airline fee credit? I had the biz plat for a year, and was about to cancel but realized I didn't use the $200 yet. Can someone please fill me in by PM? I don't need airline gift cards...

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8344 on: June 19, 2017, 01:23:35 PM »
Hey all. Can someone please help me with the $200 airline fee credit? I had the biz plat for a year, and was about to cancel but realized I didn't use the $200 yet. Can someone please fill me in by PM? I don't need airline gift cards...
There isn't much to fill in, you have $200 to use towards one airline of your choice, for incidentals only.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8345 on: June 19, 2017, 01:50:17 PM »
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=69130.275
But start at the end and read backward because not everything that used to work, still works.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline 123ablack

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8346 on: June 19, 2017, 02:41:04 PM »
Amex Biz Platinum 150k/$20k Targeted Offers Available

Following Language: Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product

P.M. if interested

Still have some BP 150k/$20k left. Expires 6/23 (which means they have to be used before the 23rd)

I also have some BGR 75k/$5k left. Expires 7/21

P.M. If interested

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8347 on: June 19, 2017, 04:36:08 PM »
Yes thrifty is responsible for the liability, not you

Where would I send the claim to thrifty ? to the people that sent me the bill on behalf of thrifty for my car's damage that amex paid or do i just notify the other party's billing service that it was a rental car, send the rental contract to them and be done ?

Offline JDeals

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8348 on: June 19, 2017, 04:48:43 PM »
Where would I send the claim to thrifty ? to the people that sent me the bill on behalf of thrifty for my car's damage that amex paid or do i just notify the other party's billing service that it was a rental car, send the rental contract to them and be done ?
The latter

Offline Aussie

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8349 on: June 19, 2017, 06:35:34 PM »
Yes, best option is to downgrade to green, get prorated refund then cancel.

Can someone confirm that if I downgrade to green in order to get the prorated refund on the biz plat, I can then go on and cancel the green for a refund of the green annual fee?

(Waiting on the $200 airline fee credit to hit my account, and I'm cutting it very close with the 30 days. (Had this card for 1 year, don't want to pay for a 2nd))

Thanks!

Offline JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8350 on: June 19, 2017, 07:51:22 PM »
Can someone confirm that if I downgrade to green in order to get the prorated refund on the biz plat, I can then go on and cancel the green for a refund of the green annual
Thanks!
yes me!

Offline israel11219

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8351 on: June 19, 2017, 09:34:00 PM »
i got a offer on my PRG consumer to upgrade to platinum with 60k bonus if i use $5000, i don't wanna pay the $550 AF so if i downgrade to green after receiving the bonus will they claw-back my points?

Online mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #8352 on: June 19, 2017, 09:40:14 PM »
i got a offer on my PRG consumer to upgrade to platinum with 60k bonus if i use $5000, i don't wanna pay the $550 AF so if i downgrade to green after receiving the bonus will they claw-back my points?
youre not paying an AF. You get 200 right away 200 on 1/1 and 200 of Uber credits. Plus 60k points sounds like a good deal to me

Offline JACKBLUE

• View Profile
« Reply #8353 on: June 19, 2017, 09:42:28 PM »
youre not paying an AF. You get 200 "airline credit" right away 200 "airline credit" on 1/1 and 200 of Uber credits. Plus 60k points sounds like a good deal to me

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8354 on: June 19, 2017, 09:42:45 PM »
Cool offer! Go for it!
Chaya L.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #8355 on: June 19, 2017, 09:43:04 PM »
Can you please post the link that let's you upgrade?
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8356 on: June 19, 2017, 09:45:19 PM »
+1, I'm curious if this is the latest upgrade offer. Last upgrade offer I got in the mail was just 25K for Plat upgrade which I immediately discarded...
Chaya L.

Offline israel11219

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8357 on: June 19, 2017, 10:03:53 PM »
didn't receive email with a link just when i signed in it popped up this offer and i clicked apply now.
for my this is $550 AF i used to do PGGM but as of now its dead so to pay $550 for 60k doesn't make to much sense even the points is worth a little more

Offline zagguru

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8358 on: June 19, 2017, 10:07:13 PM »
didn't receive email with a link just when i signed in it popped up this offer and i clicked apply now.
for my this is $550 AF i used to do PGGM but as of now its dead so to pay $550 for 60k doesn't make to much sense even the points is worth a little more

+1 my wife's account got the same offer.
The question though is, she's never had the platinum, so is it true that if she upgrades now, she wont be able to get a platinum offer in the future? If yes, then it might make sense to first sign up for new platinum card with a higher sign up offer, and then later upgrade the gold if the offer is still around

Offline israel11219

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8359 on: June 19, 2017, 10:10:19 PM »
+1 my wife's account got the same offer.
The question though is, she's never had the platinum, so is it true that if she upgrades now, she wont be able to get a platinum offer in the future? If yes, then it might make sense to first sign up for new platinum card with a higher sign up offer, and then later upgrade the gold if the offer is still around
if you downgrade afterwards to green i think you could still apply afterwards for a new platinum