Author Topic: Building a Sukkah  (Read 23367 times)

Online ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Building a Sukkah
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2014, 10:33:14 PM »
the lumber yards use 3 2x3's (top, middle, & bottom) and 2x2's on the sides.
Also 2x8 panels are easier to handle and store than 4x8

interesting. so the actual wooden panel is set into the frame instead of nailed to the outside of it.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2014, 10:35:19 PM »
the lumber yards use 3 2x3's (top, middle, & bottom) and 2x2's on the sides.
Also 2x8 panels are easier to handle and store than 4x8

Yes, but there are twice as many!

Online ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2014, 10:38:33 PM »
Also, as far as holes go, I would try to buy from a lumber yard that has a drill press that would do it for me.

Online ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2014, 11:40:33 PM »
Good point. I'm rethinking my strategy. Henche's instructions are very clear but it does seem like it will be very heavy. I'm probably going to email the people from incidas link and ask them about modifying there design.

Really good customer service:

You will find the frame adequate and well-suited for covering with wood panels and a door.

But buy the 8x12 Kit, not the 8x8, as you will need the additional parts in the 8x12 Kit to build the fourth wall and doorway.

The 8x12 Kit includes lumber lists for building wood-paneled 8x8, 8x10 or 8x12 frames including the option of a 4ft doorway (which you can modify the size of to fit the door you intend to install).

This might be the simplest solution.

Offline Crazy tools

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2014, 12:26:52 AM »
2x4's split in half with a table saw is the way to go for the frame, if it's free standing then you can do 2x3's. The reason to get the 2x4 split instead of buying 2x2's is because the cut side will be flat and lie very nicely against the board, and actual cut size will be 1/4 of an inch bigger than 2x2 making it a little stronger. Also it'll be easier to find straight nice pieces of 2x4 as opposed to 2x2. (Lowe's near lakewood actually makes thousands of split 2x4's before sukkos)
For the actual panel use Luan, or 1/4 plywood for a little more sturdiness.
Make sure to glue the panel down to the side beams together with screws to prevent warping.
To make a nice strong sukka does take a lot of work. May come out more worth it to just buy a made one. Tellim in Lakewood makes some really nice ones for a fair price. (don't have any more details)
Keep in mind that even if you buy one you must take the time to buy some waterproofing to paint the boards with, otherwise they will warp very quickly and not last.

Online ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2014, 12:33:30 AM »
2x4's split in half with a table saw is the way to go for the frame, if it's free standing then you can do 2x3's. The reason to get the 2x4 split instead of buying 2x2's is because the cut side will be flat and lie very nicely against the board, and actual cut size will be 1/4 of an inch bigger than 2x2 making it a little stronger. Also it'll be easier to find straight nice pieces of 2x4 as opposed to 2x2. (Lowe's near lakewood actually makes thousands of split 2x4's before sukkos)
For the actual panel use Luan, or 1/4 plywood for a little more sturdiness.
Make sure to glue the panel down to the side beams together with screws to prevent warping.
To make a nice strong sukka does take a lot of work. May come out more worth it to just buy a made one. Tellim in Lakewood makes some really nice ones for a fair price. (don't have any more details)
Keep in mind that even if you buy one you must take the time to buy some waterproofing to paint the boards with, otherwise they will warp very quickly and not last.
So basically what you're saying is to buy panels and not make my own. Now your talking multiple clamps and a lot of time waiting for the glue to dry. Do the ready made panels have that?

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2014, 12:48:13 AM »

So basically what you're saying is to buy panels and not make my own. Now your talking multiple clamps and a lot of time waiting for the glue to dry. Do the ready made panels have that?

Not sure I understand you, the glue is to attach the actual wood frame to the panel. No clamps needed as you screw it in also. So just put glue then screw right away.
I'm pretty sure the bought ones from Tellim in lakewood are glued, from other places I would assume not.
I would highly consider buying them from lakewood as he is really known for quality

Online ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2014, 12:59:38 AM »

Not sure I understand you, the glue is to attach the actual wood frame to the panel. No clamps needed as you screw it in also. So just put glue then screw right away.
I'm pretty sure the bought ones from Tellim in lakewood are glued, from other places I would assume not.
I would highly consider buying them from lakewood as he is really known for quality
You're right. I must be tired. That's how I assembled all my ikea furniture. I'll check out Lakewood but I do live a solid 2.5 hours away. Thanks

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2014, 01:11:26 AM »
Boro Park Lumber used to sell (probably still has/ will prepare for you) a succa making 'kit'.  It had all the wood cut and ready to assemble. Hardware and  instructions by a hurried salesman included.

My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline SamKey

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2014, 10:55:13 AM »
My father had a frame around the deck all year round and would just screw in panels to the frame every year. Took about 2 1/2 hours total every year.

Online ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2014, 12:23:13 PM »
Final product. Just need to paint now. There are some minor changes I would make next time.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2014, 12:36:58 PM »
Sorry for not making it more clear in my username!
Can always make it clear here, http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?action=profile;area=forumprofile
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2014, 12:59:11 PM »
Final product. Just need to paint now. There are some minor changes I would make next time.
Looks nice! You have a plan for the whole above the door? PS Impressed that you have an actual door in there.

Online ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2014, 01:36:41 PM »
Looks nice! You have a plan for the whole above the door? PS Impressed that you have an actual door in there.
I could put plywood there. We'll see if I get around to it. Thanks! That was my mishugas. Had to modify instructions a bit too make it work

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2014, 02:48:55 PM »
I could put plywood there. We'll see if I get around to it. Thanks! That was my mishugas. Had to modify instructions a bit too make it work
Looks like your crossbeams for the schach lie entirely inside the sukkah. That's a big plus if you're using mats because it's help prevent the mats from getting lifted up in the wind. But that also means you won't get a breeze from the top and it might get hot in there.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2014, 02:58:02 PM »
Looks nice!  Congrats! 

My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2014, 03:34:42 PM »
you painting it?

Online ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
Looks like your crossbeams for the schach lie entirely inside the sukkah. That's a big plus if you're using mats because it's help prevent the mats from getting lifted up in the wind. But that also means you won't get a breeze from the top and it might get hot in there.
The design of it makes it happen that way because the beams and wood are both 8 feet while the wall studs are drilled 8 inches from the top. I could have modified it but didn't realize until I was done. The design is meant for material.
Looks nice!  Congrats!
Thanks!
you painting it?
I'm using a seal/stain

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2014, 05:08:21 PM »

Looks nice
Is that door an exterior door?
Hope that door don't get killed in the rain. A hollow door will soak in all the rain and fall apart, there's cardboard in there. A solid door will also get pretty ruined.

Online ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2014, 05:33:03 PM »
Looks nice
Is that door an exterior door?
Hope that door don't get killed in the rain. A hollow door will soak in all the rain and fall apart, there's cardboard in there. A solid door will also get pretty ruined.
Interior door. I plan on sealing it. Hope I'm not too late after today's rain