Author Topic: Kivrei Tzadikim France  (Read 6698 times)

Offline ZCN

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Kivrei Tzadikim France
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 10:56:31 PM »
I think the point is that the exact location is not known.

Correct, and I was sharing firsthand research that I had done previously. Plus, the OP started this thread by asking about all Kivrei Tzadikim in France:

Looking for a list of kivrei Tzadikim in France,  anyone?

Does anyone know whose buried in Metz?

Offline Hershelsdeals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 11:00:29 PM »
I think I can help. I went to Kivrei Tzadikim in Metz, Ramerupt and Troyes about 5 years ago. At the time I went, I did some research and at that time no one knew where exactly Rashi is buried. There is a place in Troyes where they think he my be buried and someone (the town??) has put up a memorial there but there is no confirmation that he is buried there.

About a 20 minute drive from Troyes is Ramerupt, where there is evidence/a tradition that the Baal'i Tosfos lived and were buried there. There is a small house with a courtyard where supposedly the Rashbam, Ri, Tosofoes Ri HaZakan, and the Rivah are buried. There are maztoivis with their names on it, and from the research I did before I went it seemed to be accurate that they are buried there.

Metz is IIRC about a 2 hours drive from Ramerupt/Troyes and I believe the Shagas Aryeh and other tzadikim are buried there. Not 100% sure of that though.

I'm going to try to post some pics of Rashi's memorial in Troyes and of Ramerupt. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for your response!  the issue I'm having is finding a source that Rashi is buried in troyes and Balei Tosfes in Ramperupt. Wikipedia and Rabbi Gabai claim that Seder hadores mentiones that Rashi is buried in Troyes, but the problem is when I look up Rashi's name Seder hadores writes that Rashi is buried in Prague.

I think the point is that the exact location is not known.

I am not concerned with the exact exact location,  Rashbi in Meron is buried in a cave under the Ohel Rashbi,  but no one knows exactly where.

Being at the approximate area is fine with me too

Offline ZCN

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 11:06:17 PM »
Thanks for your response!  the issue I'm having is finding a source that Rashi is buried in troyes and Balei Tosfes in Ramperupt. Wikipedia and Rabbi Gabai claim that Seder hadores mentiones that Rashi is buried in Troyes, but the problem is when I look up Rashi's name Seder hadores writes that Rashi is buried in Prague.

I am not concerned with the exact exact location,  Rashbi in Meron is buried in a cave under the Ohel Rashbi,  but no one knows exactly where.

Being at the approximate area is fine with me too

I forgot where I found the information about the Balei Tosfos in Ramerupt....I'll try to post if I can find it. Regrading Rashi, no one seems to know where he is buried. Just have to accept it. I davened by the memorial in Troyes, I figured it can't hurt.
BTW if your into this stuff, I would recommend checking out Rashi's shul and bais medrash in Worms. It's the original building and it's an amazing experience!

Offline Hershelsdeals

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 11:29:15 PM »
I forgot where I found the information about the Balei Tosfos in Ramerupt....I'll try to post if I can find it. Regrading Rashi, no one seems to know where he is buried. Just have to accept it. I davened by the memorial in Troyes, I figured it can't hurt.
BTW if your into this stuff, I would recommend checking out Rashi's shul and bais medrash in Worms. It's the original building and it's an amazing experience!
Thanks for your advice again, I've been to worms before, and I'm very into these stuff, have you been to Montpellier? I think there's also some Rishon buried there.

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 11:33:04 PM »
I think the Shaagas Aryeh's last rabbanus was in Metz, he may be buried there.

Offline ZCN

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 11:46:25 PM »
Thanks for your advice again, I've been to worms before, and I'm very into these stuff, have you been to Montpellier? I think there's also some Rishon buried there.

I haven't been to Montpellier. I'm not sure if you know this but the Maharil (a Rishon) is buried in Worms, and Rabbenu Gershon (also a Rishon) is buried in Mainz, as is R' Yackov ben Yakar who was Rashi's rebbe.

Offline Hershelsdeals

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2014, 11:47:31 PM »
I haven't been to Montpellier. I'm not sure if you know this but the Maharil (a Rishon) is buried in Worms, and Rabbenu Gershon (also a Rishon) is buried in Mainz, as is R' Yackov ben Yakar who was Rashi's rebbe.
Ive been to meinz and worms.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2014, 05:46:01 AM »
It's the original building
i dont believe it is