Author Topic: TR (w/ pics):2 weeks in Asia with a 2 yr old  (Read 28575 times)

Offline htg123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: TR (w/ pics):2 weeks in Asia with a 2 yr old
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2014, 05:35:29 AM »
Complete awesomeness

Offline morgs

• View Profile
  • Programs: *a Gold, Avis Presidents circle, Hertz Presidents club
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2014, 02:02:49 PM »
Thanks for all the compliments!!!

Offline avadah

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2014, 03:45:34 PM »
Great TR!
I thought hotels don't let you stay with children if there is a pool. I think it's a problem in the Maldives with OWBs.

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2014, 09:35:42 PM »
Great TR!
I thought hotels don't let you stay with children if there is a pool. I think it's a problem in the Maldives with OWBs.
Not where i stayed there were kids
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline M

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2014, 10:04:24 PM »
Really awesome and enjoyable to read!  8)

Offline morgs

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2014, 01:42:16 AM »
Great TR!
Not that I know of-Our resort was full of kids! The Pavillions Phuket does not allow children but that is because it is a couples only resort but nothing to do with the pools....

Offline morgs

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2014, 11:27:47 AM »
CHIANG MAI
Hey everybody, sorry it’s been a while, things got busy here-but I don’t want to leave this as one of DDF’s unfinished TR’s (AHEM, Rots5!!!!!! :D) ….. So, Thursday 4:30 PM found us landing in Chiang Mai airport. We did not have to go through customs as we were coming from Phuket and quickly found our bags and headed out the main exit to catch a taxi to the Le Meridien Chiang Mai. We went to the metered taxi desk and requested a big car  so that we would not have to squish and prepaid the heavy price of 200 THB ($6 US) to get to the hotel (about a 20 min drive from the airport) (btw, small cars cost only 150 THB to the LM CM).

Sign in Our taxi (we had already booked with Israel 999 tours though)

Now, I know everyone on the forums says to book the Le Meridien with platinum status for 3300 points per night and then get an upgrade to a suite-but I could not arrange that in time and I only have gold status so I instead booked the suite over the phone using full points at 6,000 SPG points a night (online they only show points options for standard and deluxe rooms-but on the phone you can get points options for the suites as well) which is really a joke for a suite that is the size of a small apartment. After checking in and being shown to our room we requested our crib for the baby from the front desk. It was already about 6:00 PM and we were pretty hungry, but we like making sure the room is all set up for the baby right when we get back before going out so that we can just put him straight in to sleep when getting back later. Usually this takes about 3 minutes-but here we were in for a surprise!! After waiting about a half hour I called the front desk again to ask what was going on with the crib and why it was taking so long, the front desk agent told me that housekeeping was on the way as we speak to bring the crib. Two minutes later there was a knock on the door, I open it and in walks a housekeeping fellow with no crib in sight. He proceeds to walk over to the couch in the bedroom and removes one of the cushions and to our amazement/horror he puts it down on the floor in the living room, covers it with a sheet and tells us that the crib is ready!!! ??? We did not know whether to laugh or cry?!? This was a first!!!And to say the least we were not very pleased with this arrangement of a crib for our 2 year old who will not go to sleep unless he is  deep within the confines of a real crib- if not –he would just dance around the room all night long ( and Benadryl wont help him either-see above!!).
So I call down to the front desk and the agent informs me that the hotel is out of cribs at the moment so this would have to do. I told him that that was a ridiculous suggestion of a crib for a 2 year old and requested to speak with a manager. He informed that the general manager was away on business (do general managers really exist or are they always really out on business?!?!?! Anyway…) and he was the front desk manager and was in charge at the moment. I told him that if we did not receive a normal crib within the next half hour –we were going to check out and head over to the Shangri La. He tells me that within the half hour he will figure something out. Around a half hour later he himself comes knocking on our door together with the housekeeping guy again and tells me how he is really sorry but the hotel is really busy now and they only have 5 cribs in the hotel and that we were first in line to get one tomorrow when someone checks out with one-but for tonight he will have to sleep on the couch cushion. We were totally horrified-I then opened an email correspondence that I had on my phone with someone from the hotel which clearly stated that they confirmed a crib for us in the room and that it is really bad customer service to confirm something like that and then not to have it available for the guest when they arrive. I also asked him what kind of hotel which has a few hundred rooms only keeps 5 cribs in stock. He said that Chiang Mai is not really a child popular destination and that the hotel has a few more cribs on order but they have not yet arrived. In any event I told him that there was no way my kid would sleep on that so if he could not work something out than I would check out and go to the Shangri La (and tell all our friends about this too ). He asked for a few more minutes to work things out. We reluctantly agreed as at this time it was already about 830 PM.
After waiting another 20 minutes we were really losing it from frustration, wasting time, and being really hungry!! So we went down to the front desk and asked the manager again what was the story and he told us he called all the other hotels in Chiang Mai to borrow a crib but they also had none available. At this point I was ready to leave the hotel and stay elsewhere but my wife was really not in the mood for that so I made one phone call to the Chabad Shliach there-Rabbi Pikel (who is an absolute gem!!!!) and asked him if there might be some crib hanging around the Chabad house that we could borrow and he said that indeed there was. I gave all the info to the manager and told him that a hotel employee needed to take care of picking it up and delivering it to our room and setting it up-He reluctantly agreed and we exchanged numbers in case there was any issue.

Finally at about 9:15PM we left the hotel to walk to the Chabad house to eat a long awaited supper. The Chabad house id a good 10 minute walk from the Le Meriden but with a stroller in the Chiang Mai streets (especially around the night bazaar) it took almost 20 minutes. Your first walk anywhere in Chiang Mai always takes extra time until you figure out that there are no traffic lights for pedestrians- you just run across the street whenever you feel like it and pray that you make it to the other side in one piece-with a stroller this took a lot longer and there was a lot more praying involved.  On the way we stopped at the office for Israel tours to pay for our driver for the next day that I had prebooked over the before we got there. The prebooking was really not necessary but it gave me piece of mind to know it was all worked out before we got there. The price of a driver for the next day to take us to all the attractions was 1000 THB ($30 US) and while I was about to start bargaining for the price I realized that I was trying to bargain to save $3-$5 off a guy who is Jewish and decided that at that moment going next door to get supper was WAY more important!! So we went next door to Chabad and ordered Szechuan chicken with rice and a burger. The food came out quickly and really hit the spot.

Szechuan Chicken

Burger with Vegetables side dish

During our supper, my phone rang and it was the manager of the LM on the line and he told me he has good news-he got through to one hotel in Chiang Mai that had a crib for us to borrow for the duration of our stay and we should tell our friend that we would not need his.  The rest of dinner tasted even better!! ;D After supper we walked to the night Bazaar, which is located literally outside the door of the Le Meridien, and enjoyed walking around there for about two hours and had lots of fun with the calculator game and trying to get stuff literally for free!! The Night Bazaar is really very big and has TONS of things to bargain for –some useful and some junk- the best part is bargaining with the vendors in Hebrew as there are so many Israelis that visit there, lots of the vendors speak fluent Hebrew!!!!

The night Bazaar

The Vendor in the Night Bazaar that we bargained with for 5 minutes in fluent Hebrew!!!!

Finally, after  a long day we retired back to our suite in the Le Meridien for the night. The Le Meridien is a beautiful 5 star hotel (hard to believe it  exists when you look out the window of your room knowing that there is barley running water and normal toilets across the street. The rooms is massive and there is another huge living area completely separated by sliding doors from the bedroom and then there is another area that has a huge walk-in closet, a bathroom, shower, sink area (all in separate rooms), and a massive tub (it with windows overlooking Chiang Mai city). The rooms was really clean and aside from our little incident in the beginning, service was great and we really enjoyed our stay here.

Hotel Exterior

Living Area

View from the room

Bedroom area

Oversized Tub

Looking into bathrrom, shower, closet, sink, jacuzzi area

Chiang Mai-Day 2-4-coming soon......

Offline morgs

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2014, 04:59:35 PM »
CHIANG MAI (Cont.)
Friday was off to an early start as our tour guide picked us up at 9:15 AM to start our day. It’s really crazy that you can get yourself an English speaking driver in a brand new Honda civic to drive you around all day for $30! We started out by heading over to Tiger Kingdom as the guide said it’s best to get there early to avoid the lines which can get crazy later in the day. The weather was overcast, rainy, and muggy the whole time we were there-but after 3 days of amazing weather in Phuket-who could complain. Most of the attractions in Chiang Mai are located along one main road that’s about 30-40 minutes out of the city. We got to Tiger Kingdom and got straight in-we chose to do the baby tigers for all 3 of us and the large tigers for myself (as they do not allow children into the large tiger cages so my wife happily volunteered to stay out and watch the baby while I went in. We also hired the photographer for both cages (500 THB for both-$15 US) and we got 2 CD’s of amazing pictures! When we were finished with the tigers we headed over to the monkey farm. Entry was 200 THB ($6) per adult and when we got in we were the only ones there so the monkey “farmers” decided to amuse themselves by having one of the monkeys climb all over us (wife included)-basically they would talk to the monkey in Thai and the next thing we know it was sitting on our heads or shoulders, etc……. We were actually quite thankful and relieved when other guests came into the park and they decided to go play their antics on them. After hanging around for about 20 minutes they called everyone into the “stadium” for a monkey show where they bring out a couple monkeys on leashes to do some cute tricks-like riding a bike, shooting hoops, etc. When the show was over we got back in the car and drove down the road to the long neck tribes.

Yup-real funny ::)

Monkey show

There are very mixed reviews about this-a lot of people say it is a big waste of time and money ( a tourist trap) but we actually found it to be pretty cool to see how these people live. One of the women even had a few week old baby there and they live in these wooden huts with no electricity or running water-it was a little like hello…get with the program-its 2014!!!!!!!!!!!! The entrance fee is steep though 500 THB per adult ($15 US)-but the guide told us that the money is divided between all the people that live there and that is how they are supported.

Long Necks

By now it was about 1230 PM and next on the list was the elephant show which was not scheduled until 130 pm so the guide suggested we stop off at the orchid farm on the way to relax and eat lunch (which we brought along from Chabad) there. Entrance fee there is 80 THB ($2 US) per adult and the farm is really set up nicely. There are a TON of orchids-all different types-and a few streams and waterfalls-really very relaxing. At about 1:15pm we got back in the car and drove out to Mae Sa Elephant camp. We paid for admission and for an elephant ride following the show and went inside the camp. As we were passing by the small river where they wash the elephants before the show they were all climbing out of the water and lucky me once again got picked on to be bait for the elephant antics. Getting kissed by an elephant trunk on the cheek was an experience I am not running to do again to say the least. The show was about 40 minutes long with the elephants doing all kinds of really amazing tricks from playing soccer to painting pictures. As the show was ending we left a little early and headed over to the elephant riding station in order to avoid the long lines that form there after the show is over. We got straight onto an elephant and were off for our 40 minute elephant ride in the jungle. The elephant ride was an interesting experience-but it was hard to take it all in when we were holding onto our 2 year old for dear life making sure he didn't fall off the top of an elephant!! As we were nearing the end of the ride it started to drizzle so our guide pulled out some handy umbrellas he had with him so we would not get wet. Then it started to rain a little heavier so again he reached into his bag and pulled out a big plastic sheet to cover our legs. And then it started to POUR!!!!!!!!!!!!! We could almost not see in front of us at one point! Luckily we were basically back at the start when it really started coming down so we waited it out there until our guide met us there with umbrellas to walk us back to the car-even with the umbrellas though we were soaked.

Elephants bathing before the show

Getting "kissed" by an elephant :P

Elephant show

Elephants painting

Thunderstorm in Chiang mai

We settled into the car for what was supposed to be a 40 minute drive back-but with the traffic it ended up taking almost an hour and a half!! We got back to the hotel about 3 hours before Shabbos and relaxed and got ready for Shabbos.

On Thursday night, our kid fell asleep in his carriage while we walked around the night bazaar but he woke up just as we got back to the hotel and proceeded to have a tantrum because he was not yet in his crib. As we walked into the lobby, the night manager came over to us and informed us that if we were interested the hotel offered a babysitting service for any future nights in the hotel. So for Friday night we decided that instead of schlepping the baby to the Chabad house and getting a goy to bring him home after (and him being a crank the whole time), we decided to put him to sleep and hire a hotel babysitter to stay in the room with him. The babysitters are off duty housekeeping girls that are looking to make a few extra dollars on the side. We met with our babysitter in the lobby who was a really nice Thai lady and when we felt comfortable with her we brought her up to our room. The cost for the service is 200 THB ($6 US) per hour and was well worth every penny!!

The Friday night meal at Chabad was unreal-Rabbi Pikel really works hard and gives himself over to make everyone feel comfortable and at home (and he is a fantastic speaker!)! There were about 300 people at our meal and when we left there were another 200 people outside waiting to get in for another shift. He told us that this was the busiest Shabbos since he opened and he contributes a lot of his success to being written about by Doniel Eleph after his visit there (way to go Dan!!!). When we got back to the hotel we asked for our room door to be opened and the security guard proceeded to walk us up the stairs to our room (11 flights). We apologized and told him he really could just take the elevator and we were fine taking the stairs by ourselves-but he told us that was the rule and that he really did not mind stairs as during his shift he is required to do a security sweep of the stairs 3 times from floor 1-until floor 22!!!!!  Before letting the babysitter go we arranged with here to come back on motsei Shabbos again so we would not have to take our kid around to the market, etc. The sleep quality is excellent in the LM-the beds are comfortable and the ac works great.

Shabbos morning Shachris was at 10 AM which was much appreciated and Rabbi Pikel arranged for one of the goyim from the kitchen to meet my wife in the lobby of the LM and to push the stroller for us to the Chabad house for the meal. The guy was there exactly on time and he pushed the stroller back after the meal as well and we tipped him 150 THB ($4 US) as recommended by Rabbi Pikel for the service. Instead of walking back to the shul for havdala, we brought grape juice and took besomim and candles from Chabad before Shabbos and made havdala in our room.

After Havdala we put the baby to sleep again and the babysitter showed up once again right on time. As we were leaving the hotel we asked the concierge when the Saturday night market was opened until and he told us midnight. So, we decided to go get massages first and then hit up the market after. We walked around the corner from the Le Meridien to Tulip Massage (my wife suggested we go there because it looked cleaner and for the 50 THB ($1.50 US) extra it was worth it) and paid for one hour Thai massage for both of us (500 THB total-$15 US). The place was really relatively clean and the massages were fantastic!! When we finished with the massage we hopped into a tuk tuk and had him take us to the Saturday night market. The time was about 1045 PM, but to our disappointment we noticed that a lot of the stands were starting to pack up-so we asked someone when most of the stands are opened until and they told us 11pm. Now we were really annoyed at the hotel concierge for the incorrect info because had we known we would have first gone to the night market and then for massages as the massage place was open until midnight! A lot of the stands were still open and we still managed to come back that night with a couple of bags of stuff. 

Saturday Night Market closing up

The next morning was supposed to be a late one as our flight out from CNX to Singapore was not supposed to be until 2 PM but just before going to sleep I checked my email and saw that I got an email from United that there was a schedule change and our flight would be departing at 12 PM instead-so we quickly packed up and went to sleep to salvage the few hours we had left before the flight. We arranged a taxi for 10:00 AM and made it to the airport pretty quickly. Check in was smooth for our CNX-BKK-SIN flight in business. We were on Thai airways and booked this with united miles for 25,000 points per person plus $90 in taxes. We went through security where again they put those really sticky bright orange stickers on our stroller that say CNX SECURITY CHECK on them. I guess those are like the free bumper stickers in Thailand! After clearing Passport control, we had about an hour to the flight so we stopped in at a massage parlor in the airport and my wife got a half hour foot massage and I got a half hour neck, shoulder, and back massage all for a grand total of 400 THB ($12 US-which is expensive in chiang Mai-nut we were in the airport so you can’t expect any different).  From CNX-BKK there was only one seat in business when we booked the tickets so I was a gentleman and gave the seat up to my wife and I sat in the bulkhead in coach with the baby (after so many flights in business I felt so claustrophobic sitting in coach I thought I was going to lose it-just kidding!!).  The flight to BKK was only an hour and we landed there shortly after 1 PM and headed to the Thai business lounge in BKK airport to wait for our next flight from BKK to SIN (we were really excited for the next flight as it was on a boeing 777-300  with a new business class product (fully lie flat seats, etc.!!!!).

Thai Business Lounge in BKK airport

UP NEXT……SINGAPORE…………

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2014, 05:04:47 PM »
Great TR. but can I give a "yuk" on the elephant kiss ?  :)

Offline morgs

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2014, 05:08:42 PM »
Great TR. but can I give a "yuk" on the elephant kiss ?  :)
If I had known what was coming my cheek probably would not have been there ;D

Offline htg123

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2014, 08:41:38 PM »
Ye...elephant thing is pretty traumatic... But as usual. Amazing TR

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2014, 05:05:45 AM »
If I had known what was coming my cheek probably would not have been there ;D

Lol I got the elephant kiss too at Lujan in Argentina. Great TR of CNX.

Offline AharonInIsrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2014, 08:17:42 AM »
Great TR! I think I'm going to send links to my wife so I can inspire her that we can still take trips with a 2 year old.
with a stroller this took a lot longer and there was a lot more praying involved. 
My favorite line so far :)

Offline morgs

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2014, 08:40:35 AM »
Great TR! I think I'm going to send links to my wife so I can inspire her that we can still take trips with a 2 year old.
Thanks!! With the right attitude and mindset it can be awesome!! We did not look at him as a hindrance rather we prepped ourselves before that no matter what happens (even if he has a huge tantrum in middle of a jammed hong kong market in the 110 degree heat :P) we are going to stay positive and enjoy ourselves-and we sure did-not only did we but he also did-the undivided attention that we were able to give him those 2 weeks was amazing for him........go for it!!!!!!!!!

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2014, 02:13:11 AM »
Amazing TR. Keep it coming!

Offline AJK

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2014, 04:05:12 AM »
I remember my first elephant kiss... was... wet :)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline morgs

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2014, 04:53:16 AM »
it seems that it is something that everyone remembers the exact when and where of it-it's really pretty hard to forget ;D
Actually after all the elephant kissing, riding, monkey climbing, tigers, etc.-we came back to the hotel and my wife promptly instructed that all clothing worn that day be put into a separate laundry bag and we'll figure out what to do with it when we get back (actually, I failed to mention that the monkey sat on my lap w/o a diaper and left some markings......!! :P). For some reason though I have yet to find that pair of pants and the tshirt I wore that day  :( ( I have not asked my wife about it yet....... ;D)

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2014, 09:26:46 AM »
it seems that it is something that everyone remembers the exact when and where of it-it's really pretty hard to forget ;D
Actually after all the elephant kissing, riding, monkey climbing, tigers, etc.-we came back to the hotel and my wife promptly instructed that all clothing worn that day be put into a separate laundry bag and we'll figure out what to do with it when we get back (actually, I failed to mention that the monkey sat on my lap w/o a diaper and left some markings......!! :P). For some reason though I have yet to find that pair of pants and the tshirt I wore that day  :( ( I have not asked my wife about it yet....... ;D)
You have a smart wife.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2014, 09:27:24 AM »
First ? How many have you had ?

Offline AJK

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2014, 11:46:25 AM »
A man doesn't kiss and tell.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper