Author Topic: Thoughts on the "Smartwatch" category.  (Read 22733 times)

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Thoughts on the "Smartwatch" category.
« on: September 08, 2014, 03:55:29 PM »
Smartwatches have been around for some time now, but it appears that the vast majority of people are only beginning to take notice now because of the likes of the Motorola 360 and the alleged iwatch expected to be announced by Apple.

I'm not here to state any facts, only to share my thoughts on this category: It won't last.

Here's why:

In short, it's a gimmick. There isn't actually any widespread "need" for this category. Sure, bikers and hikers and geeks may find a use for it, but it doesn't actually fill any "void". I never heard anyone say "I always needed something like this", rather, the most I've ever heard was "this is a cool gadget" or "it's neat" or "it's nifty".

Even the original Ipad, which many thought was just a laughably oversized Iphone had a void to fill.

Currently, statistics are showing that smartwatch buyers are abandoning their smartwatches in droves. People buy it excitedly, and then realize that it is just a toy, so they sell it on Ebay or return it.

But there's more:

Much of today's youth don't even wear a watch. Many of those who do wear it as a fashion statement more than to tell time. There is no way that a smartwatch is going to take the place of a Cartier or a Rolex.

Also, because battery technology has made such poor advancements in the past decade, these watches need to be charged daily, which means taking it off every day for charging, which is on top of taking it off for showering etc...

I firmly believe that Apple is making one because they have no choice. If they don't make one it will disappoint investors who have been spreading rumors for two years already about an "iwatch".

To summarize, it is a useless category, as it does not do anything that a smartphone, which is already in your pocket, cannot do.

Offline mercaz1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the "Smartwatch" category.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 05:08:12 PM »
when was the last time you heard someone say "its nifty"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 05:20:29 PM »
iPad filled a void that nobody knew existed.

If anyone can make a smartwatch work it's Apple.  There's no need for it, but Apple fanbois will buy things even if they don't fill a need.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline zale

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the "Smartwatch" category
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 05:36:46 PM »

If anyone can make a smartwatch work it's Apple.  There's no need for it, but Apple fanbois will buy things even if they don't fill a need.

The Ipad was meant to REPLACE the laptop for people who only used their pc for internet and movies. Apple realized that most fools are buying a laptop just to open the browser and check Facebook and email. It turned out to be a greater success than they anticipated.

The iwatch doesn't replace anything, except perhaps a real watch which most people don't wear or wear for fashion purposes.

Frankly, I think that even Apple cannot convince the majority of people, even die-hard Apple fans to wear a smartwatch... But I guess we'll have to wait for their fourth quarter results to see that.

Offline AnonymousUser

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 06:01:32 PM »
I don't currently wear a watch, but I would love to get a smartwatch, since I'm constantly pulling my phone out of my pocket to check the text or whatsapp message I just got. This would obviate that need. Additionally, this is much less obtrusive, and much less insulting to glance at during a conversation with someone else.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 06:11:54 PM »
I don't currently wear a watch, but I would love to get a smartwatch, since I'm constantly pulling my phone out of my pocket to check the text or whatsapp message I just got. This would obviate that need. Additionally, this is much less obtrusive, and much less insulting to glance at during a conversation with someone else.

1. The hassle that goes into taking it off and on for charging, showering (and tefilin :-)) negates the convenience gained.

2. Reading a complete text on your watch is just as rude as glancing at your smartphone, especially if you need to scroll on your watch to see the full text.

3. What happens when multiple texts are received? Say you receive a text from Dans Deals about a deal, you... Take out your phone to check the deal. What did you gain here?

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 06:45:06 PM »
Millions of people are wearing fitness tracker bands 24/7. The smartwatch will be to fitness trackers what the smartphone was to MP3 players - once the price comes down it will replace it completely.

That's not to mention the fact that millions of people still do wear watches for practical or fashion purposes. A smartwatch with interchangeable bands - not to mention virtually unlimited face options - will greatly appeal to many many people.

I'm in the market for a watch now, but I'm holding off to see how the Moto 360 and LG are coming along. If I could have a good-looking watch which also reads my email and does a hundred other things, hell yeah!
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 06:51:11 PM »
1. The hassle that goes into taking it off and on for charging, showering (and tefilin :-)) negates the convenience gained.

2. Reading a complete text on your watch is just as rude as glancing at your smartphone, especially if you need to scroll on your watch to see the full text.

3. What happens when multiple texts are received? Say you receive a text from Dans Deals about a deal, you... Take out your phone to check the deal. What did you gain here?

1. You're only legit complaint is re. charging. A regular watch also had to come off during showering or tefillin (unless it's waterproof, such I believe the LG is, or you're a lefty, which I am;))

2. I don't think reading on your watch is any less rude than reading on your phone, so this was never even a consideration for me.

3. Fine, so I'll go to my phone for the DD texts. But I won't have to for the other 500 texts and What's Apps I get a day...
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 07:21:23 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple won't release it. There's no question they can sell a few million of any product but they still don't want something that will flop.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 07:39:45 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple won't release it. There's no question they can sell a few million of any product but they still don't want something that will flop.

That same thought crossed my mind several times. Unfortunately, too much hype left them with no choice. If they don't introduce an iwatch tomorrow, their stock will take a heavy beating.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 08:09:45 PM »
It only takes a second to glance and see if the text is urgent or not and what the gist of it is. You don't need to read the whole thing.
At least I'll be able to see if it's something I'm interested in looking into further before pulling out my phone. I actually unfollowed DDF through text, and check only through RSS, since I realized that most of the deals aren't relevant to me.

Offline avrumy22

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 08:10:43 PM »

+100

Steve Jobs once said that Apple doesnt spend money on market research bec they create products that no one knows that they want yet.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 08:18:34 PM »
+100

Steve Jobs once said that Apple doesnt spend money on market research bec they create products that no one knows that they want yet.

That's when Steve Jobs was there. I can't imagine that he would ever sign off on the iwatch.

Also, in case you haven't noticed, there is already a large variety of smartwatches out there. Nobody is interested or cares for it. (Yes, you will have a few ultra fanbois who will buy it, but that's about it.)

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 08:21:35 PM »
It only takes a second to glance and see if the text is urgent or not and what the gist of it is. You don't need to read the whole thing.

I see... And for this you will pay $200?

Do you already own a smartwatch?

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 08:23:55 PM »
I see... And for this you will pay $200?

No and no, specifically because I see it as a convenience, not as a necessity, and not one which I value at $200. I'm waiting for the price to come down.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 08:24:38 PM »
3. Fine, so I'll go to my phone for the DD texts. But I won't have to for the other 500 texts and What's Apps I get a day...

Are you willing to pay $200+ for this benefit of which you speak?

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 08:26:03 PM »
No and no, specifically because I see it as a convenience, not as a necessity, and not one which I value at $200. I'm waiting for the price to come down.

Ahhh, therein lies the reason smartwatches are a passing fad.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 08:27:59 PM »
Ahhh, therein lies the reason smartwatches are a passing fad.
Perhaps, but I wouldn't say they're pointless and useless.

Offline EMCC

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum
Re: Thoughts on the "Smartwatch" category
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 08:28:49 PM »
The Ipad was meant to REPLACE the laptop
Reading this made my blood boil. If Steve Jobs read this he would cry. The Ipad was specifically designed to do nothing a cost money. They did not want it to take a penny away from the laptop sales.
"Disclaimer: I don't believe everything I write."  - ChaimMoskowitz

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 08:38:16 PM »
Nobody wants a smartwatch now the same way nobody wanted an mp3 player in 1998, a smartphone in 2006, or a tablet in 2010/

Because they all stunk.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.