Author Topic: Thoughts on the "Smartwatch" category.  (Read 22732 times)

Online EMCC

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum
Re: Thoughts on the "Smartwatch" category.
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 08:44:03 PM »
Nobody wants a smartwatch now the same way nobody wanted an mp3 player in 1998, a smartphone in 2006, or a tablet in 2010/

Because they all stunk.
Ipad still stinks (I have a few of them) and smartphones are getting worse by the day.
"Disclaimer: I don't believe everything I write."  - ChaimMoskowitz

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 09:00:57 PM »
Do you already own a smartwatch?

Are you willing to pay $200+ for this benefit of which you speak?

No and no.

But being that I'm looking to buy a watch anyway I'm open to the idea of spending a couple more dollars for these features.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 09:01:23 PM »
Ipad still stinks (I have a few of them) and smartphones are getting worse by the day.

:o:o:o

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 09:07:09 PM »
But being that I'm looking to buy a watch anyway I'm open to the idea of spending a couple more dollars for these features.
You're gonna go with Apple ?

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the "Smartwatch" category
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 10:31:02 PM »
Reading this made my blood boil. If Steve Jobs read this he would cry. The Ipad was specifically designed to do nothing a cost money. They did not want it to take a penny away from the laptop sales.

Wow, I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but you took my statement out of context. I said it was meant to replace the laptop for people who only use their laptop for checking email and watching movies (about half of consumer laptop users).

My point is, there was a vision in the ipad.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 10:39:46 PM »
Nobody wants a smartwatch now the same way nobody wanted an mp3 player in 1998, a smartphone in 2006, or a tablet in 2010/

Because they all stunk.

Apple taught the world how to make products consumer-friendly. Pre-iphone, manufacturers like Palm would lop together a bunch of parts and make a "smartphone" out of it. Apple showed how to do it right.

However, that was 2007.

Tech manufacturers, armed with top-notch UI software from Google, have caught up and have even made strides ahead of Apple.

Smartwatches like the Moto 360 or the Galaxy Gear S are very polished and very sophisticated. Honestly, I really don't expect the iwatch to be "leaps and bounds" ahead of the existing array of smartwatches. I don't expect it to be "revolutionary".

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 10:41:56 PM »
Smartwatches are a subset of Wearables (or Wearable Gadgets), an entire family of ridiculous gadgets like Google Glass. Wearables are a subset of IoT, the Internet of Things, which is based on the hypotheses that if everything was wired to the internet, our refrigerator, thermostat, and our clothing, we'd be more connected and more efficient.

You might disagree, but it's a hot segment of the consumer electronics market, even if the FitBit never really took off.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 10:42:09 PM »
I would assume that at least the design would be leaps and bounds better than anything else or it wouldn't be released.

And good design would be enough to make it a success.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online EMCC

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the "Smartwatch" category
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 10:43:05 PM »
Wow, I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but you took my statement out of context. I said it was meant to replace the laptop for people who only use their laptop for checking email and watching movies (about half of consumer laptop users).

My point is, there was a vision in the ipad.
Watch the keynote of the first iPad. Steve Jobs is turning in his grave. He specifically said time after time that there is no such thing as a laptop replacement to which Microsoft laughed at. (He also swore he would never make a smaller iPad, and two years later, the Ipad mini was unveiled.)

Online EMCC

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2014, 10:44:17 PM »
I would assume that at least the design would be leaps and bounds better than anything else or it wouldn't be released.

I would also expect a lot of nfc tricks to make all of the i products work better together and maybe have a more connected home and lifestyle.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2014, 10:46:32 PM »
No and no.

LOL.

You are open to the idea of buying a watch. So, in 2014 you will buy your first one, in 2015 your second one (because it will be "the best iwatch yet"), in 2016 your third one (because again it will be "the best iwatch yet)... you see where I am going with this?

On the other hand, if you invest a few thousand into a nice Cartier it will compliment your image for a lifetime. (AND you will be able to leave it over to your grandchildren).

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2014, 10:48:53 PM »

If the Galaxy Tab was released a year before the original ipad, how do you think things would have played out?

Online EMCC

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2014, 10:52:54 PM »
If the Galaxy Tab was released a year before the original ipad, how do you think things would have played out?
There were decent tablets in the market ten years before the Ipad came out.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2014, 10:55:24 PM »
There were decent tablets in the market ten years before the Ipad came out.

The only ones I know of are the ones that Moses broke.

Oh right, there was the Newton...

I was asking a legitimate question. The Tab is a serious contender to the Ipad.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2014, 10:58:12 PM »
Yes, Samsung is great at taking Apple design and making it far better than the original.

But they seem to need their inspiration first.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 11:02:41 PM »
LOL.

You are open to the idea of buying a watch. So, in 2014 you will buy your first one, in 2015 your second one (because it will be "the best iwatch yet"), in 2016 your third one (because again it will be "the best iwatch yet)... you see where I am going with this?

On the other hand, if you invest a few thousand into a nice Cartier it will compliment your image for a lifetime. (AND you will be able to leave it over to your grandchildren).

I'm smart enough to buy what suits my needs (and wants, if you will) at the moment and not get the latest version just because it exists. I use a Galaxy S3 with a cracked screen, not a GS5 even though "it's the best Galaxy yet". It suits my needs just fine. If I bought the latest and greatest camera all the time I'd have been bankrupt long ago (and believe me, a new camera is FAR more indicting than a watch).

A watch as an investment never interested me; all I need is a decent looking thing to tell time. Well I end up with a smartwatch? Probably not. Will I be following the announcement in the coming days and consider then as a possible option? Sure.

Online EMCC

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2014, 11:08:12 PM »
Yes, Samsung is great at taking Apple design and making it far better than the original.

Check out this article I wrote a while ago.

Four Reasons Why the iPad is Outselling the Surface

What is innovation?

Why has Apple been considered the leader of innovation? It is no secret. Steve Jobs said it himself: "good artist copy, great artists steal". That mentality has been practiced both by Apple and Microsoft over the past few decades. Microsoft was the first one to introduce the tablet computer almost ten years before Apple introduced the iPad. Did Apple copy that idea? Yes. But, they improved it and it quickly became one of Apple's biggest successes. Microsoft also wanted a bite out of that apple of success so they introduced the Surface.

The Microsoft Surface is an improved iPad in almost every way. It does almost everything the iPad does, but better. So why did the Surface fall flat on its face? In one word: Marketing.

Microsoft spent almost a billion dollars on advertisement for the Surface. Billion. With that much spent on advertisement and endorsements, you would think anything can be sold. I have been plastered with Surface ads for a while now and I am sure you have been as well. They did a few things wrong though. The biggest issue is the fact that the product itself was confusing.

The Microsoft Surface RT was supposed to be a direct competitor with the iPad. The Surface Pro on the other hand was made to challenge the entire personal computing industry.

Here are four things Microsoft could have copied from Apple to become the market leader.

Design:

Design wise, the Surface is revolutionary. They have a design that can easily compete and beat the iPad. But here is where the confusion starts. The Surface RT and Surface Pro have the same design while they are two completely different products. Apple has the iPad and has the MacBook. There is no conflict in design there. Those designs do not compete with each other but complement each other. With the two designs so similar, the consumer dies not really identify the product and is just left confused. If Microsoft found a way to make two different, albeit both revolutionary designs, one for the RT and one for the Pro, consumers would buy both, not neither of them.

Name:

This is where Microsoft really screwed up with Windows 8 in general. There is Windows 8 and Windows RT. Which is what, how is who, where is when, what? Windows 8 and Windows RT are completely different products. In the instance Apple did not name their products perfectly either. They have IOS and OSX. But, does the iPad or iPhone look remotely similar to the MacBook? There is no confusion there as Apple only uses its own hardware for its software and they design the products accordingly. But Microsoft leases its software to hardware manufacturers and that is where the confusion becomes even more unreasonable. Now every product that is introduced with Microsoft’s software, consumers will be confused. Consumers will not know if a product is the full Windows 8 or the “lite” version, Windows RT. They will not know the difference between the two. Instead of having a name that hurts the sales Microsoft should’ve named the two completely different.

Pricing:

The pricing of the Surface was perfect. It is high enough to be considered a “premium product” and low enough to compete against Apple. But here is where they made another mistake. Microsoft put the Surface on sale to deplete their stock. Recently, Microsoft has announced that the sale prices are permanent. I understand that they cannot be stuck with stock of products, but they still cannot lower the price. Now, instead of Microsoft offering premium devices to compete against Apple, it is offering products at the worst possible price; too low to be considered premium and too high to be called entry-level. Microsoft should have simply bit the bullet and let the price stay high so the Surface will always be known as a premium product. This way, the next generations of hardware from Microsoft will still be known as premium and they will be able to sell products will considerable margins.

Expectations:

Microsoft produced way too many Surfaces before the launch. They were expecting the huge marketing campaign to pay off. But it did not. Microsoft introduced a new type of product to a market that has not been proven yet. Lack of supply means supply of demand. If they ran out of products it would have made a stronger interest in the market and a stronger demand. What they could’ve done to boost interest in their brand is simple. On the launch date offer the Surface at production cost. Make it known that they are losing money off the product just to get it into your hands. There would have been lines of people waiting to buy the Surface. They would’ve run out. The whole world will be desperate to get their hands on one. Microsoft wouldn’t have had an oversupply issue.
Now Microsoft is in a big mess. All of the new products from Microsoft have not sold as well as they were expected to. They have lost their CEO. Their stocks are not going anywhere. Microsoft needs a new CEO right now and they need a real visionary.
Someone like me.

Offline Matovu

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond,
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2014, 11:09:10 PM »

Although iwatch is still not out.
Who gave android galaxy watches its inspiration ?

Online EMCC

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2014, 11:11:10 PM »
The idea of an iWatch

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2014, 11:11:44 PM »

Not Apple, which is probably why the Galaxy Gear looks so nasty :P