Topic Wiki

$75 fee:

-21+ days prior to departure is based on the departing city time zone, not the booking city time zone.

EDIT: I managed to call in and have them waive the fee when it was within 21 days in departing city time zone but not by booking city time zone

UPDATE: AA has removed all close-in fees

Author Topic: AA Award Flights  (Read 507713 times)

Offline madhatter

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AA Award Flights
« Reply #2280 on: March 13, 2016, 05:09:08 PM »
I heard from a someone that if I book an award flight for a friend , using AA miles, I run the risk of having my account blacklisted, and possibly shut-down.
1) Is this verifed (being that I know all the booking details, and I know the passenger personally)
2) In this case I will be flying on the exact same flight (Me in F, buddy in J). Diff PNR though. Does that change the situation?

Thanks

(If this was disscused upthread, if anyone can point out where exactly, it would be greatly appreciated)

Offline sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: March 13, 2016, 05:16:48 PM »
I heard from a someone that if I book an award flight for a friend , using AA miles, I run the risk of having my account blacklisted, and possibly shut-down.
1) Is this verifed (being that I know all the booking details, and I know the passenger personally)
2) In this case I will be flying on the exact same flight (Me in F, buddy in J). Diff PNR though. Does that change the situation?

Thanks

(If this was disscused upthread, if anyone can point out where exactly, it would be greatly appreciated)

No worries at all if you're on the same flight.

I've booked numerous tickets for numerous people without me being on the flight and BH so far nothing, YMMV.

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #2282 on: March 13, 2016, 05:27:43 PM »
looking to book a ticket pre deval on AA. not sure if I will bring my daughter with me. If I do I would put her in the F seat along with me and book my wife in Y and just have my daughter sit with one of us. My wife and daughter have similar names would it be safe to use my daughters name with my wifes birthday and call up later and say that it was a mistake?
sorry to BUMP so soon but if anyone can offer some advice on this I would really appreciate it as I would like to book ASAP before I lose out on the seat.

Offline IsraelGuy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: March 13, 2016, 05:46:11 PM »
sorry to BUMP so soon but if anyone can offer some advice on this I would really appreciate it as I would like to book ASAP before I lose out on the seat.

People have asked about this sort of thing before (myself included) - usually you're taking a risk that won't pay off it seems

Online mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #2284 on: March 13, 2016, 05:48:10 PM »
People have asked about this sort of thing before (myself included) - usually you're taking a risk that won't pay off it seems
so if i want to book a ticket for my daughter who is 3 by herself on  aa what are my options?

Offline IsraelGuy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: March 13, 2016, 06:11:50 PM »
so if i want to book a ticket for my daughter who is 3 by herself on  aa what are my options?

Make a decision now or hedge your bets and pay the 150 to redeposit the ticket if she doesn't come along-anyone else feel free to chime in with a better solution

Offline Josef.koney

• View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: March 13, 2016, 09:37:17 PM »
Not sure in which thread to ask this so I'm asking it here:
I'm flying tonight to Brazil with a paid ticket (not award, but don't worry I'm having it paid :))) but can't get to pre check is that standard on AA flight's?
That's weird sometimes it won't let on line and I was able to do it on the phone. Have u tried that? Are u sure there is precheck were you are going?
It's because you're flying international (99% sure).
Interesting. I go international all the time with aa and I always get pc (unless ur gonna call yyz to mia not international... But if I remember correctly tsa counts it as international)

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #2287 on: March 14, 2016, 02:04:25 PM »
If a hold for a QR itinerary expires, will the seats go back to award availability?

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: March 14, 2016, 03:19:16 PM »
If a hold for a QR itinerary expires, will the seats go back to award availability?
Not necessarily. Have seen it go both ways.

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: March 15, 2016, 10:57:33 PM »
Been holding 2 separate AA awards on AB in J for KRK-TXL-JFK for me and my wife for travel in 2 weeks. Been holding these reservations since September.

After Dan's recent crisis of faith  ;D and AJK's (convincing) excoriating diatribe, I feel that if KRK-FRA/MUC-NYC opens up on LH F I would never be able to live with myself  :P

So the question becomes, how do I cancel with little or no fees if LH opens up. There hasnt been one minute change in 6 months.
1. Do I cancel without redeposit?
2. Do I change routing to KRK-???-JFK and reschedule as far out as there is availability and hope there is a schedule change?

3. The connection time in TXL has always been short, 50 minutes. Can I use that as an excuse because its Thursday and if i miss that flight the next one is Friday arriving too close to shabbos?
4. Do I cancel and just hope they dont charge redeposit? Citi AA Exec Card help anything?   
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: March 15, 2016, 10:59:46 PM »
Been holding 2 separate AA awards on AB in J for KRK-TXL-JFK for me and my wife for travel in 2 weeks. Been holding these reservations since September.

After Dan's recent crisis of faith  ;D and AJK's (convincing) excoriating diatribe, I feel that if KRK-FRA/MUC-NYC opens up on LH F I would never be able to live with myself  :P

So the question becomes, how do I cancel with little or no fees if LH opens up. There hasnt been one minute change in 6 months.
2. Do I change routing to KRK-???-JFK and reschedule as far out as there is availability and hope there is a schedule change?

3. The connection time in TXL has always been short, 50 minutes. Can I use that as an excuse because its Thursday and if i miss that flight the next one is Friday arriving too close to shabbos?
4. Do I cancel and just hope they dont charge redeposit? Citi AA Exec Card help anything?   

You'll have to pay redeposit fee to get back points. What's the max number of connections you can make ??? :)

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: March 15, 2016, 11:14:18 PM »
You'll have to pay redeposit fee to get back points. What's the max number of connections you can make ??? :)
Guess i have to figure out a different routing :) problem is most routings take me through LHR...need to get creative. Guess i have my work cut out for me if LH opens.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2292 on: March 16, 2016, 12:47:15 AM »

Why thank you for the compliment, sir :P (Love "excoriating.")

1) No.
2) Yes.
3) No.
4) No. No.

Now, to expound on #2:

First, add at least two segments to the award, such that it is KRK-??-??-JFK. I'd suggest you consider ORD in the winter as one, or smaller regional airports. Second, push it out as far as can be.  Last, try, if you can, to book flights where are very close together such that a small change means invalid connection.

GL!

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: March 16, 2016, 01:52:50 AM »
First, add at least two segments to the award, such that it is KRK-??-??-JFK. I'd suggest you consider ORD in the winter as one, or smaller regional airports. Second, push it out as far as can be.  Last, try, if you can, to book flights where are very close together such that a small change means invalid connection.

GL!

OP mentions that he has "held" (and I assume ticketed) these tickets since September, so I'm guessing that 1-yr validity won't get him to ORD in the winter.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: March 16, 2016, 06:52:03 AM »
OP mentions that he has "held" (and I assume ticketed) these tickets since September, so I'm guessing that 1-yr validity won't get him to ORD in the winter.
Correct, September 25 or so was ticketing date.

Offline rediplus

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: March 16, 2016, 01:19:53 PM »
i found an award ticket for 72.5k to use my AA miles on pre deval. the ticket date is in august but i don't plan to fly till maybe jan of 17. till august i can change the ticket date with no charge or change to the award  miles as long as all the routing stays the same . and i can keep changing it until i find the right date to fly ? is this correct ?

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: March 16, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »
i found an award ticket for 72.5k to use my AA miles on pre deval. the ticket date is in august but i don't plan to fly till maybe jan of 17. till august i can change the ticket date with no charge or change to the award  miles as long as all the routing stays the same . and i can keep changing it until i find the right date to fly ? is this correct ?
yes, up to a year from booking.

Offline rediplus

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: March 16, 2016, 03:19:36 PM »
yes, up to a year from booking.
does the same go for awards on partner airlines ?
i found ey J to MLE in april. if i book that now i can change it up to a year as long as i find space ?

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: March 16, 2016, 03:21:58 PM »
does the same go for awards on partner airlines ?
i found ey J to MLE in april. if i book that now i can change it up to a year as long as i find space ?

Yes.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: March 16, 2016, 03:45:12 PM »
Yes.
seems like it may only work if you rebook to another EY flight in J (vs. QR which is a Oneworld partner)