Topic Wiki

$75 fee:

-21+ days prior to departure is based on the departing city time zone, not the booking city time zone.

EDIT: I managed to call in and have them waive the fee when it was within 21 days in departing city time zone but not by booking city time zone

UPDATE: AA has removed all close-in fees

Author Topic: AA Award Flights  (Read 507628 times)

Offline beirush228

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AA Award Flights
« Reply #2360 on: March 21, 2016, 10:47:57 AM »
Will I have a problem changing AA and JAL - LAX-BKK to CX? (i.e. Is the AA award considered one world redemption or AA redemption)

Offline Hershelsdeals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: March 21, 2016, 11:22:52 AM »
Upgrading from J to F with CX using AA miles, will that require every deposit or need to just add miles?

Offline SLMYRCB

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: March 21, 2016, 11:25:36 AM »
Upgrading from J to F with CX using AA miles, will that require every deposit or need to just add miles?
There's no fee even if there is a re-deposit.
...if that helps.

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #2363 on: March 21, 2016, 11:28:08 AM »
Will I have a problem changing AA and JAL - LAX-BKK to CX? (i.e. Is the AA award considered one world redemption or AA redemption)
nobody knows for sure but there has been speculation out there that you might have problems. It has been talked about unthread

Offline beirush228

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: March 21, 2016, 11:29:14 AM »
I believe that to change class of flight will elicit a new award hence new awards chart.

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #2365 on: March 21, 2016, 11:29:54 AM »
just need to add miles

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: March 21, 2016, 11:31:05 AM »
...if that helps.
nope I was told if you need to use less miles they will re deposit the original miles and take out what you now need.

Offline beirush228

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: March 21, 2016, 11:31:45 AM »
nobody knows for sure but there has been speculation out there that you might have problems. It has been talked about unthread
Yah. I'm just going to book the furthest out there on CX and will play it safe. finding availabiltiy for 2 business around Feburary 2017. Hope to change it to Auguest some time.

Offline SLMYRCB

• View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: March 21, 2016, 11:34:57 AM »
nope I was told if you need to use less miles they will re deposit the original miles and take out what you now need.
I'm not sure what you mean.
I've been told "That will be $150. Oh wait, you're upgrading so no, there's no fee then."

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: March 21, 2016, 11:39:53 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean.
I've been told "That will be $150. Oh wait, you're upgrading so no, there's no fee then."
yes for upgrading you are right. But you said downgrading as well. If you want to downgrade you will need to pay to re deposit your miles.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2370 on: March 21, 2016, 11:40:46 AM »
Believe we both mean the same point. because O/D are not the same, OP can not add on the TLV-AMM to the existing itinerary without incurring a change fee. OP can of course book the TLV-AMM now as a separate award if OP wishes to avoid the change fee.

AJK is simply pointing out that, I believe, that TLV-AMM-AUH-JFK is a valid routing (i.e. that the rule regarding trans-oceanic carrier selling a ticket between the origin and destination no longer applies (or in any event, is not enforced)?

Correct.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline SLMYRCB

• View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: March 21, 2016, 11:48:19 AM »
yes for upgrading you are right. But you said downgrading as well.

I never said downgrading but if I wasn't clear enough, I apologize...

...if that helps.

Offline SLMYRCB

• View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: March 21, 2016, 11:59:30 AM »
What to say to a supervisor to get him/her to negate the account?

I am missing <4k which is scheduled to arrive on the 24th-ish. I can buy the miles for ~$150 but it's a total waste without trying to get it negated.

Any tips?

Offline beirush228

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: March 21, 2016, 12:09:06 PM »
I never said downgrading but if I wasn't clear enough, I apologize...

Am I missing something? I just off the phone and it was quite clear that to "upgrade" would elicit a new award chart (hence more miles)? Is this a Huca situation?

Offline high end hobo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: March 21, 2016, 12:14:12 PM »
Let me make this clear.
To upgrade, they cancel and redeposit your miles, then they subtract the amount for the F award.
They do this for free, but that doesn't mitigate the fact that they cancel and redeposit.
To illustrate this, take a look at the account history where an upgrade has been done, you'll see deposit of J prices and subsequent subtraction of F price.

This leads me to believe that it will be highly unlikely that upgrades will be prices at the old chart, but who knows.

Offline beirush228

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: March 21, 2016, 12:16:33 PM »
Let me make this clear.
To upgrade, they cancel and redeposit your miles, then they subtract the amount for the F award.
They do this for free, but that doesn't mitigate the fact that they cancel and redeposit.
To illustrate this, take a look at the account history where an upgrade has been done, you'll see deposit of J prices and subsequent subtraction of F price.

This leads me to believe that it will be highly unlikely that upgrades will be prices at the old chart, but who knows.
bumb It will COST MORE  (NEW CHART) according to a competent agent I spoke to, though maybe of if you find one not so knowledgeable maybe ..

Offline high end hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: March 21, 2016, 12:17:32 PM »
bumb It will COST MORE  (NEW CHART) according to a competent agent I spoke to, though maybe of if you find one not so knowledgeable maybe ..

AA awards are auto priced, so I have little hope

Offline beirush228

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: March 21, 2016, 12:20:50 PM »
Agree.

Online eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: March 21, 2016, 12:40:03 PM »
Let me make this clear.

+ 1 and it also appears to assign a new ticketing date based on when you upgraded it to First. Does it also extend the expiry date of the ticket?

Offline Jewban

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP 2MM, DL PLAT, UA Nobody, US Hater, SPG PLAT, AMEX PLAT
« Reply #2379 on: March 21, 2016, 02:09:07 PM »
Let me make this clear.

You WILL BE subject to new pricing at time of exchange.  The reason being it is a different award basis and certificate used, which will trigger re-pricing.