Topic Wiki

$75 fee:

-21+ days prior to departure is based on the departing city time zone, not the booking city time zone.

EDIT: I managed to call in and have them waive the fee when it was within 21 days in departing city time zone but not by booking city time zone

UPDATE: AA has removed all close-in fees

Author Topic: AA Award Flights  (Read 504132 times)

Offline Dave A

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: AA Award Flights
« Reply #360 on: April 16, 2015, 03:42:17 PM »
So we got spoiled a bit since our last two trips to Israel from NY using AA miles on ElAl. We went business class and really don't want to go back to cattle class. Now that AA doesn't use ElAl anymore our options for a business class flight are very limited. I think the only one we found was on Jordanian Airlines - we'll pass on that. My question is, I heard that coach on ElAl is the worst. Does anyone have a recommendation on better coach seats on a better airline so we can search for saver fares in coach that we would be more comfortable with? We prefer business but there are no saver awards for when we want to go (end of June).

I'm also looking for end of June and found lots of Business saver awards (50k) on AA's award website (thru London).   Where are you going from?

Offline Mutty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #361 on: April 16, 2015, 04:39:43 PM »
I'm also looking for end of June and found lots of Business saver awards (50k) on AA's award website (thru London).   Where are you going from?
WHAT!! I put in NYC to TLV and it didn't have anything. 50K??? Something doesn't make sense here. I thought the "cheapest" miles was 67. Tell me more. Best is JFK. I live in Flatbush but I can dop other airports. Just want Business or better (for the two of us).
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline Dr Moose

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 16, 2015, 04:41:25 PM »
when you have only 31 posts you tend to make mistakes
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #363 on: April 16, 2015, 04:53:20 PM »
Maybe I'm doing this wrong. I go to aa.com and pick NYC to TLV. Does that only give me direct flights? I thought it would give me all possibilities. Do I have to know to pick NY to London and then London to ny, etc.? Anybody know?
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 16, 2015, 04:55:20 PM »
Maybe I'm doing this wrong. I go to aa.com and pick NYC to TLV. Does that only give me direct flights? I thought it would give me all possibilities. Do I have to know to pick NY to London and then London to ny, etc.? Anybody know?
AA.com will not give you any direct flights from NYC-TLV.

The only direct flight from the U.S. it will give you is PHL-TLV.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 16, 2015, 05:02:10 PM »
How come if I do round trip I don't get offered to go through London with a saver award, but when I choose muli city I do??

Offline Dave A

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 16, 2015, 05:28:43 PM »
WHAT!! I put in NYC to TLV and it didn't have anything. 50K??? Something doesn't make sense here. I thought the "cheapest" miles was 67. Tell me more. Best is JFK. I live in Flatbush but I can dop other airports. Just want Business or better (for the two of us).

when you have only 31 posts you tend to make mistakes

Yes, my mistake. I was talking about NYC-LHR (I'm also looking for tix and was breaking up the trip that way).  From there you can get a relatively cheap award flight to TLV, from what I understand. 

And thanks Dr. Moose - a kind soul, you are.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 16, 2015, 05:31:32 PM »
Yes, my mistake. I was talking about NYC-LHR (I'm also looking for tix and was breaking up the trip that way).  From there you can get a relatively cheap award flight to TLV, from what I understand. 

And thanks Dr. Moose - a kind soul, you are.
I don't think so. From what I understand, most (all?) flights leaving LHR have high exit taxes.

Offline Dave A

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 16, 2015, 05:36:38 PM »
I don't think so. From what I understand, most (all?) flights leaving LHR have high exit taxes.

Where's one of the better stopover airports in Europe with lower fees?

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 16, 2015, 06:04:42 PM »
So how exactly do I do this thing to see all the ways of getting there? Round trip doesn't seem to do it

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 16, 2015, 06:08:47 PM »
So how exactly do I do this thing to see all the ways of getting there? Round trip doesn't seem to do it
That would be impossible.

There are, quite literally, infinite possibilities to how you route and how long you stopover.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 16, 2015, 06:12:07 PM »
In that case, what's the best route to take from NY to TLV that might have saver award availability? Or is that like anyone's guess

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #372 on: April 16, 2015, 06:12:31 PM »
So we got spoiled a bit since our last two trips to Israel from NY using AA miles on ElAl. We went business class and really don't want to go back to cattle class. Now that AA doesn't use ElAl anymore our options for a business class flight are very limited. I think the only one we found was on Jordanian Airlines - we'll pass on that. My question is, I heard that coach on ElAl is the worst. Does anyone have a recommendation on better coach seats on a better airline so we can search for saver fares in coach that we would be more comfortable with? We prefer business but there are no saver awards for when we want to go (end of June).

Prefer business to TLV? You should rethink Royal Jordanian. I personally wouldn't hesitate to fly them.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 16, 2015, 06:51:55 PM »
Prefer business to TLV? You should rethink Royal Jordanian. I personally wouldn't hesitate to fly them.

I know that it is only once,  but lucky's story is freaky

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 16, 2015, 06:53:18 PM »

What story?

Offline aradisc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 16, 2015, 07:48:06 PM »
IMO he overplayed that story more than that girl with that transaero flight that be was bashing

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #377 on: April 16, 2015, 07:57:04 PM »

Could happen to any airline. Not a reason to avoid them going forward; or at least not anymore than one would avoid EK or EY.

IMO he overplayed that story more than that girl with that transaero flight that be was bashing

Zing.

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline SrulyP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Emerald EE; Hertz five star; Avis Five Star
« Reply #378 on: April 16, 2015, 08:09:19 PM »
I am trying to book jfk to lax in First DIRECT and running into an issue. AA seems to only open up 1 award seat per plane on this route. Is it worth it to book the one i can get and then just wait? does anyone have any experience with this?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 16, 2015, 08:10:04 PM »
I am trying to book jfk to lax in First and running into an issue. AA seems to only open up 1 award seat per plane on this route. Is it worth it to book the one i can get and then just wait? does anyone have any experience with this?

They open 2 close-in.