Topic Wiki

$75 fee:

-21+ days prior to departure is based on the departing city time zone, not the booking city time zone.

EDIT: I managed to call in and have them waive the fee when it was within 21 days in departing city time zone but not by booking city time zone

UPDATE: AA has removed all close-in fees

Author Topic: AA Award Flights  (Read 504778 times)

Offline Hatastah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AA Award Flights
« Reply #2060 on: February 23, 2016, 05:17:46 PM »

No, HUCA.

You can verify for yourself very easily if it's phantom or not.
How would I do that?

Offline leaf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: February 23, 2016, 05:22:25 PM »
It would be on QF
What I meant is it depends if there are additional legs on the current ticket (ie LHR-JFK) on AA or OW, then it may be considered a mixed award already.  But if it's only AUH-LHR and you want to switch to DXB-LHR you might be out of luck.  (change of origin should be fee-free if you are staying in same regions and upgrading to F).

Offline D93

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: February 23, 2016, 05:53:10 PM »

Offline D93

• View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: February 23, 2016, 05:53:47 PM »
What I meant is it depends if there are additional legs on the current ticket (ie LHR-JFK) on AA or OW, then it may be considered a mixed award already.  But if it's only AUH-LHR and you want to switch to DXB-LHR you might be out of luck.  (change of origin should be fee-free if you are staying in same regions and upgrading to F).

Changing the origin from AUH to DXB will cost $150.

Offline leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: February 23, 2016, 06:11:58 PM »

Changing the origin from AUH to DXB will cost $150.
Not if upgrading to F

Offline D93

• View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: February 23, 2016, 06:13:13 PM »
Not if upgrading to F

Correct, merely upgrading to F won't result in a change fee, but changing origin will result in a change fee.

Offline leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: February 23, 2016, 06:16:14 PM »
Correct, merely upgrading to F won't result in a change fee, but changing origin will result in a change fee.
AA will not charge change fee even if you change origin or destination (so long as it's same region) when upgrading an award. Personal experience and confirmed on multiple blogs such as OMAAT. 

Offline D93

• View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: February 23, 2016, 06:17:55 PM »
AA will not charge change fee even if you change origin or destination (so long as it's same region) when upgrading an award. Personal experience and confirmed on multiple blogs such as OMAAT.

Link?

Offline Dr Moose

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: February 23, 2016, 06:20:05 PM »
When putting a hold on a booking, the time I have until booking it, is that local time of the departure city?
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline D93

• View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: February 23, 2016, 06:22:41 PM »
When putting a hold on a booking, the time I have until booking it, is that local time of the departure city?

Yes

Offline Dr Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: February 23, 2016, 06:24:09 PM »
Yes
Darn, good thing it went back into inventory.
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline benjie1305

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: February 23, 2016, 06:24:12 PM »

Yes. I believe it's in the WIKI.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: February 23, 2016, 06:25:39 PM »
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2014/07/11/change-fee-upgrade-american-award-ticket/
Look in comments as well. 
(Not sure about post devaluation.)
Pretty sure AJK also confirmed this recently. 

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2073 on: February 23, 2016, 06:54:08 PM »
Let's clear it up.

Changing from AMM-AUH-SYD in J to F = no change fee (upgrading class of service).
Changing AMM-AUH-SYD to AUH-SYD = no change fee (dropping segment in same region, same award type, same mileage).

Combining the above, changing AMM-AUH-SYD in J to AUH-SYD in F = no change fee. (One could theoretically also change AMM-AUH-SYD-CNS in J to AUH-SYD-CNS in F and then change that to AUH-MEL-CNS and then change that to AUH-MEL, all without fee.)

Changing AUH-SYD to DXB-SYD = change fee (changing origin and changing award type).
Changing LHR-DXB-SYD to DXB-SYD = change fee (changing award type and mileage requirements).
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Platinum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: February 23, 2016, 07:31:26 PM »
So dropping a leg there is no charge as long as I am leaving from the same region yet changing the destination to a destination in the same region does require a change fee? LAX-SFO-HKG to SFO-HKG = no change fee but SFO-HKG-BKK to SFO-HKG-SIN = change fee?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2075 on: February 23, 2016, 07:32:50 PM »
So dropping a leg there is no charge as long as I am leaving from the same region yet changing the destination to a destination in the same region does require a change fee? LAX-SFO-HKG to SFO-HKG = no change fee but SFO-HKG-BKK to SFO-HKG-SIN = change fee?

Got it.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline D93

• View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: February 24, 2016, 12:16:46 AM »
Let's clear it up.

Changing from AMM-AUH-SYD in J to F = no change fee (upgrading class of service).
Changing AMM-AUH-SYD to AUH-SYD = no change fee (dropping segment in same region, same award type, same mileage).

Combining the above, changing AMM-AUH-SYD in J to AUH-SYD in F = no change fee. (One could theoretically also change AMM-AUH-SYD-CNS in J to AUH-SYD-CNS in F and then change that to AUH-MEL-CNS and then change that to AUH-MEL, all without fee.)

Changing AUH-SYD to DXB-SYD = change fee (changing origin and changing award type).
Changing LHR-DXB-SYD to DXB-SYD = change fee (changing award type and mileage requirements).

Wow! Very interesting.
I stand corrected.

Thanks.

Offline CS91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: February 24, 2016, 12:35:09 AM »
Let's clear it up.

So I can change PHL-DOH-MLE in J to JFK-AUH-MLE in F for free because of class upgrade or no?

Offline leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: February 24, 2016, 01:10:14 AM »
So I can change PHL-DOH-MLE in J to JFK-AUH-MLE in F for free because of class upgrade or no?
I don't think you can. IINM since you are switching from OW to different carrier (EY), you would incur a fee, even if upgrading because you are changing the award type. 

Offline leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: February 24, 2016, 01:13:54 AM »
Let's clear it up.

+1
Just to add, if you are changing regions, it's an award type change and will always incur a fee.  So if you change from AMM-AUH-SYD J to IST-AUH-SYD F you will incur fee (besides for mileage difference).