Author Topic: Credit card fraud  (Read 22767 times)

Offline Centro

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 33
    • View Profile
Re: Credit card fraud
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 12:32:44 AM »
Was waiting for a new credit card to be mailed to me.... got email from chase fraud department that my new card was used in various local fast food stores and cvs.... and was even used to withdraw money from a atm.... chase declined the charges.
I haven't even received this new card yet. Where would someone get a hold of my new credit card?  I even checked my security camera and no one opened up my mail box....
Any suggestions?
@KolHaolam: FLATBUSH: A mailman was arrested last week after 40,000 pieces of undelivered mail was found in his possession, some going back to 2005.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 12:41:43 AM »
@KolHaolam: FLATBUSH: A mailman was arrested last week after 40,000 pieces of undelivered mail was found in his possession, some going back to 2005.
Yup
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=45440.msg926526#msg926526

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 09:05:44 AM »
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 09:17:43 AM »
I told you I sent out the check!
The most serious charge he's facing is the delay or destruction of mail, it seems like he didn't actually open or do anything with it, he just left it laying around.

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 02:33:43 PM »
I've had 4 Capital One Cards Debit and Credit with fraudulent charges in the last year!!!
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline EE4504

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 02:51:07 PM »
I've had 4 Capital One Cards Debit and Credit with fraudulent charges in the last year!!!

Did you file a complaint with the Postal Service Inspector? Brooklyn?

Offline mrsfaust

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2014, 05:21:42 PM »
From the mail?

Sounds like bluff to me. I've read reports on phone scams similar to that and I'd say what you do is go visit Chase and have them look into it. It may be alarming but don't fret just yet. Remain calm and investigate directly from the bank.

Offline mrsfaust

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2014, 05:28:37 PM »
I have a feeling that it's one of these credit card phishing scams. There's a lot of complaints on it posted at Callercenter and I strongly suggest you read through the posts, too, just to get an idea how scammers perpetrate the scam. You can also get the known scammer phone numbers there and add them to your block list so just in case your phone number made it to their call list, they'd never have the chance to call you at all.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »
I periodically have unauthorized charges on my cards.  Once on an infrequently used card that was used at only 2 stores that month.  Each time I get a new card and the charges are dropped.  I usually try to figure out which store I used that stole the #.  But I've never been even close to sure.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2014, 05:34:33 PM »
Just got off the phone with Citibank.
Apparently someone tried making 40+ online purchases on my Executive card this morning. About half of them went through to pending, while the rest got declined.
Citi only flagged it as fraud when the guy made a $1900 purchase at BestBuy, the rest were all in the $200 range at Walmart and TigerDirect.

Offline lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »
Apparently someone tried making 40+ online purchases on my Executive card this morning. About half of them went through to pending, while the rest got declined.
Citi only flagged it as fraud when the guy made a $1900 purchase at BestBuy, the rest were all in the $200 range at Walmart and TigerDirect.
Got my new card in the mail on the first day of Yom Tov, I checked my account online this morning before I called in to activate the new card and there was already 2 fraudulent charges on the account. They cancelled the card again and are sending me another new one.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 03:00:49 PM »
Got my new card in the mail on the first day of Yom Tov, I checked my account online this morning before I called in to activate the new card and there was already 2 fraudulent charges on the account. They cancelled the card again and are sending me another new one.
Hmm, sounds like a pattern.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2014, 03:27:38 PM »
So TigerDirect sells GC's?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline YG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Credit card fraud
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 09:22:48 PM »
Opened a new discover checking account for wife. Debit card and pin both never arrived in mail. Several days later account was cleared out with local swipes in Brooklyn.  NY taxis, stores etc. $1025.
#USPSgeneiva

Discover reimbursed in full no prob. Then had two more fraudulent charges after replacement card did arrive in mail.

Offline lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2014, 09:45:59 PM »
And the story goes on: I got the new card today and after opening it was surprised to see that Citi sent me another one of the same card (that they just cancelled).
I called and explained the story to the account rep, she looked into it and said it looks like the card was processed to be shipped out before the old card number was cancelled, so I got a duplicate card. Then she went ahead and processed the new card to be shipped to me.

I then brought up that I'm paying a high annual fee for this card to be earning miles with it, and for a week already I haven't been able to earn any miles and had to use other credit cards. She offered me 1,000 bonus AA miles, I countered with 5,000 and she said that's a good number as that's the highest she could offer.

We'll see what happens when the new card comes via FedEx. If there are any more issues I'm gonna ask them to just cancel the card and refund my annual fee.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2014, 10:01:27 PM »
What did they do did they change your billing address so it should match the shipping address?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline YG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Credit card fraud
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2014, 06:19:05 PM »
Opened a new discover checking account for wife. Debit card and pin both never arrived in mail. Several days later account was cleared out with local swipes in Brooklyn.  NY taxis, stores etc. $1025.
#USPSgeneiva

Discover reimbursed in full no prob. Then had two more fraudulent charges after replacement card did arrive in mail.
logged in today to find that some of the provisional credits were reversed. SMd asking why and they responded:
At your request, we recently investigated the transactions you listed below. Based on documentation provided by the companies you made these disputes with the transactions appears to be valid.

Letters were mailed out on 11/24/14 with the specific information on them regarding each dispute you had filed.

Any provisional credit(s) applied to your account in conjunction with these dispute were reversed today 11/24/14. If you have something else in your records to support your position, please provide it to us as soon as possible. In addition, if you have not already done so, you may wish to contact these companies directly.

Very annoyed!!
Have to wait for the letters to arrive to see what they say.

... Have a feeling I may soon be closing DWs Discover checking account as well as mine.

Offline mike77

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2015, 11:12:59 PM »
My chase credit card has been the target 3 times since January, luckily chase caught it within seconds and sent me a text every time they suspected fraud. I'm starting to worry about the increase of CC theft! Mind you I was in possession of my CC the entire time, someone managed to duplicate it without ever physically having the card.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 11:22:07 PM »
My chase credit card has been the target 3 times since January, luckily chase caught it within seconds and sent me a text every time they suspected fraud. I'm starting to worry about the increase of CC theft! Mind you I was in possession of my CC the entire time, someone managed to duplicate it without ever physically having the card.
They gave you a new number each time?

Offline mike77

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2015, 11:36:00 PM »
They closed the account AND sent me a new card 3 times