Author Topic: Requirement to provide social security numbers for additional Amex cardholders  (Read 29944 times)

Offline newdanfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I tried activating cards of additional cardholders that I added to my Amex accounts.  However, I was unable to do this online and received an error message that I need to call in to Amex customer care and be ready to provide birthdates and social security numbers of the additional users. 

When I called, I was told I cannot activate without providing the socials.  The representative informed me that this was a new rule. 

Does anybody have a way around this?  I do not want to give the social security numbers of my additional cardholders.

Thanks in advance!

Offline nobiggy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
I tried activating cards of additional cardholders that I added to my Amex accounts.  However, I was unable to do this online and received an error message that I need to call in to Amex customer care and be ready to provide birthdates and social security numbers of the additional users. 

When I called, I was told I cannot activate without providing the socials.  The representative informed me that this was a new rule. 

Does anybody have a way around this?  I do not want to give the social security numbers of my additional cardholders.

Thanks in advance!

Recently it has been hard to bypass it. Seems like they are cracking down on fake people.
A few HUCA's and telling them "I don't have SS# handy,i'll call back tomorrow to add it" should do the job.

Offline newdanfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Getting around it isn't working for me.  I'm being directed to either a phone system that only allows me to proceed by entering a social or to a phone system where nobody will let me through without it. 

The additional cards are for valid people.  But I do not want to give their social security numbers. 

What would happen if a social was entered incorrectly, or if the social didn't match that specific cardholder?  Is this like just giving a secure 9 digit number for each cardholder for security purposes so that entering any 9 digit number and using that same number for this specific person would be fine, or must it be the actual social security number of that person on the card?

Offline nobiggy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Getting around it isn't working for me.  I'm being directed to either a phone system that only allows me to proceed by entering a social or to a phone system where nobody will let me through without it. 

call AMEX and press 0 untill you get a live person.....

Offline newdanfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
What would happen if a social was entered incorrectly, or if the social didn't match that specific cardholder?  Is this like just giving a secure 9 digit number for each cardholder for security purposes so that entering any 9 digit number and using that same number for this specific person would be fine, or must it be the actual social security number of that person on the card?

Offline dovy2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Another question on the same page, do they match the dob with the social?

Offline VacationLover

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Best of my knowledge you can activate and say you will call later with the social number. (Did it 2 weeks ago)

Offline rr1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
did 2 weeks ago and activated online and it let me through, maybe because they all had the same last name as myself

Offline yoshi

• View Profile
Just open au's under your own name.

Online cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Just open au's under your own name.

But if you provide your own social again wouldn't that be an obvious red flag...?
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
did 2 weeks ago and activated online and it let me through, maybe because they all had the same last name as myself
It went through without ssn ?

Offline newdanfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
I'm honestly surprised that more people aren't having this issue.  Unless no one else adding more AU's in the last two weeks.  I just added a bunch more because of Small Business Saturday.  And I can't seem to find a work around.  When you call to add a new AU, they are happy to add the person without a social.  The issue is activating a card.  When you call to activate, they won't let you do it without then giving the social. 

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
I'm honestly surprised that more people aren't having this issue.  Unless no one else adding more AU's in the last two weeks.  I just added a bunch more because of Small Business Saturday.  And I can't seem to find a work around.  When you call to add a new AU, they are happy to add the person without a social.  The issue is activating a card.  When you call to activate, they won't let you do it without then giving the social.
Did you try activating online ?

Offline rr1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
did same last name my ss or same as another that was already a AU on the card

Offline udip3146

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Why does it need to be activated? You can use it without activating.

Offline newdanfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Wait... seriously?!?  What's the point in activating then?

And yes, I did try online for the ones that it allowed.  Some came in the mail with a sticker that just gave the option of calling.  And when I tried to activate those online, it didn't allow me and gave me the number to call again.

Offline eli.f

• View Profile
Why does it need to be activated? You can use it without activating.
That usually works only for relatively small amounts and tends to get blocked after a few days. (According to many online reports)

Offline dovy2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
That usually works only for relatively small amounts and tends to get blocked after a few days. (According to many online reports)
And 30 bucks is a small purchase

Offline eli.f

• View Profile
And 30 bucks is a small purchase
I agree. It would probably go through. I've put much more than that on unactivated cards. (I think I put $300 once)
I was just explaining what's the point in activating all together.

Offline bar19900

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
I can add that I've recently added myself as an AU on my wife's cards through live chat and had the card for about a month without a social, but they STILL REPORTED IT TO MY CREDIT REPORT (without knowing my social).  I finally tried to add it online and couldn't because they didn't have my ssn. 

*they may have gambled because we are both amex customers and have the same address, but still they're definitely proactive about getting your info.