Author Topic: TODAY ONLY Lifetime unlimited Backup $50-one computer  (Read 2724 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
TODAY ONLY Lifetime unlimited Backup $50-one computer
« on: May 27, 2014, 05:52:33 PM »
Bits du Jour is offering Drivepop/Lifedrive lifetime backup with unlimited space for $50. This is for one computer. Additional computers can be added for $30
http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/drivepop-online-backup/src=day?utm_source=DailyBits&utm_medium=email&utm_content=drivepop-online-backup+Link&utm_campaign=2014-05-27+Mac+%26+PC+A
9 hours left!
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: TODAY ONLY Lifetime unlimited Backup $50-one computer
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 05:55:57 PM »
Bits du Jour is offering Drivepop/Lifedrive lifetime backup with unlimited space for $50. This is for one computer. Additional computers can be added for $30
http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/drivepop-online-backup/src=day?utm_source=DailyBits&utm_medium=email&utm_content=drivepop-online-backup+Link&utm_campaign=2014-05-27+Mac+%26+PC+A
9 hours left!
Is this basically cloud storage? Any idea how many GB you get? Couldn't find it on the site.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
It will backup files in any folder on your computer and store them on the cloud. It is unlimited GB and bandwidth. Will store up to 30 versions of a file.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 06:09:40 PM »
It will backup files in any folder on your computer and store them on the cloud. It is unlimited GB and bandwidth. Will store up to 30 versions of a file.
You're telling me that FOREVER they will backup ALL my docs, pictures, videos for $50!??

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 06:10:37 PM »
You're telling me that FOREVER they will backup ALL my docs, pictures, videos for $50!??

On one computer

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 06:12:50 PM »
YES
On one computer
In the comments they say that you can switch to a different computer.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 06:13:31 PM »
On one computer
Does that mean I have to have the space on my computer? As opposed to Dropbox where it's additional GB to what I have on my comp?
Oh, and that would also mean if I ever got a new laptop, it wouldn't work anymore...

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 06:15:36 PM »
Does that mean I have to have the space on my computer? As opposed to Dropbox where it's additional GB to what I have on my comp?
Correct I think.
Oh, and that would also mean if I ever got a new laptop, it wouldn't work anymore...
In the comments they say that you can switch to a different computer.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 06:31:38 PM »
YESIn the comments they say that you can switch to a different computer.

Still don't think it's a good deal. Can't backup disk images/OS or external hard drives. And, even though it's "unlimited storage," that doesn't mean they can't make adjustments to speeds, versioning, etc in the future.

I pay a little more for a Crashplan subscription and get much more out of it, not to mention their awesome app that lets me access any of my files remotely from my iPhone. I've gotten a lot of use out of that.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 06:36:07 PM »
Correct I think.
Okay still not too bad. I only have 5 GB of pics and I have 350+ free GB on my computer. This is really interesting.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 06:38:13 PM »
Still don't think it's a good deal. Can't backup disk images/OS or external hard drives. And, even though it's "unlimited storage," that doesn't mean they can't make adjustments to speeds, versioning, etc in the future.

I pay a little more for a Crashplan subscription and get much more out of it, not to mention their awesome app that lets me access any of my files remotely from my iPhone. I've gotten a lot of use out of that.
True, you cannot backup disk images-it is file backup only, but you CAN backup externals.
Don't see how Crashplan is only a little more-it is $10 more for just the first year while this is lifetime.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 07:26:23 PM »
True, you cannot backup disk images-it is file backup only, but you CAN backup externals.
Don't see how Crashplan is only a little more-it is $10 more for just the first year while this is lifetime.

I got an annual subscription for 30. And there is no guarantee this company (which I've never heard of until today) will be around any longer. It's clearly a good deal but if you need more of a backup service, there is no point in purchasing it.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 05:12:03 PM »
I just received the following email from them. Not quite sure exactly what effects this will have on me as I am not paying monthly and they have no card of mine to bill. Will keep you updated.

Dear aygart,

NOTICE OF PRICE INCREASES - EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY

If you have not heard already, Livedrive is pulling the rug out from under all of us.  The original terms with Livedrive was that we could provide some absolutely fabulous pricing with online backups.  Since they have been acquired by J2 Global, they are now looking to "milk" this business for all its worth including us.

We have been fighting with Livedrive/J2 Global now for over 3 months to try to come to some reasonable agreement and it does NOT look great.  I'm going to try to explain the pricing changes that we are currently looking at and I'm sure 80% of all of you will not continue, but I hope that we can see this as still a great chance to use a great service for at a fair price.

Our bottom line is that J2 Global wants to increase our prices to $30/TB/month as OUR cost.  This is OUTRAGEOUS!!  We are trying to get them to realize that the current market place for Livedrive competitors is priced anywhere from $10 to $20/TB/month.

The current discussion has us sitting at a price that may allow us to offer you 1TB at $9.99/month and we need to implement this price change immediately.  I'm reaching out to all of you to give you some advanced warning. 

Our last discussion with Livedrive was pretty grim and they want us to also pay for Bandwidth on a per 1TB basis going back to the early part of 2014.  They advised us to pass this cost onto customers but our billing system and their reporting does not allow for us to accurately bill.  We started notifying customers that were over 3TB and the results were very bad.  Almost all the customers cancelled because the pricing was so extreme.  They left us no choice, because the cost of this bandwidth is high, we simply cannot afford to pay it.

Livedrive has basically told us that the UNLIMITED offers has caused such a huge influx of customers and data space usage that they now cannot afford this model and it has cost them so much that they need to back paddle to survive and recuperate the costs they have incurred to grow by offering unlimited backup space.  They continue to advertise unlimited offers on their website which has caused us a lot of anger.  They keep telling us that this is also going to change, but they seem to want us to model the changes perhaps to see how they can do it without losing customer loyalty.

While this has caused them a lot of trouble, they are taking the opportunity to pass on the troubles to all of us.

NEW PRICING
 In the next few days we will be adjusting the prices on our online backup packages on our website to reflect the changes in terms with Livedrive.  The pricing will start at $9.99/month/TB.

To determine if you will be affected by this price increase will be based on your current services you have ordered.
 >> If you have ONLY the online backup service and no other add-ons such as Briefcase and are currently paying less than $9.99/month/TB you will be adjusted to this new price. 
 >> If you have ONLY the Briefcase, these will also climb to $9.99/month/TB but may go higher as J2 Global has not finalized the details on briefcase pricing yet.
 >> If you have BACKUP AND BRIEFCASE, these will also climb to a minimum of $9.99/month/TB until the pricing has been finalized with J2 Global we do not know the final pricing yet.

If you recently made a purchase of any kind on any package, we will use that payment as credit towards the monthly cost and determine your next billing due date based on amounts paid. 

We understand that a lot of people will cancel their accounts as a result of the price increase, we ask that you wait until you receive an invoice prior to submitting a cancellation request.  We will NOT automatically bill your payment method.  Subscriptions that have been setup with your payment option will be cancelled so that you have an opportunity to decide if you want to continue with your account or cancel.

As you can imagine this has been an unrealistically frustrating time for us and we are working through the challenges of J2 Global's decision to impose these changes on us.  We are going to continue to fight with them and for you, but at this time we want to prepare everyone that the battle has been long and will continue to drag out for some time.

We are now tasked with this responsibility of doing the leg work for J2 Global as they have decided to become greedy.

While, the price increase comes unexpectedly, the market price comparison shows that it is still a fair price for what is offered.  We truly hope that you stay with us, but we completely understand if you decide cancel.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL - OPEN A SUPPORT TICKET SO WE CAN ACCESS YOUR ACCOUNT AT THE SAME TIME
 We will not be able to address replies to this notice so PLEASE be patient if it takes time for us to reply.  We will do our best.  As usual, it is best to address your concerns by opening a support ticket on our website.
[/font]